Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Big Apple, Newsboy, eight panel flat cap by Broner

Corky

Practically Family
s-l1600.jpg

I had been looking for the perfect Big Apple or Newsboy cap for a long time. I wanted one made out of all cotton, so it would age like an old pair of jeans. It needed to be the correct size (no tab adjustment) and to have a substantial construction that one associates with a better quality of hat.

I tried on many Newsboy hats over the years, but the wool was scratchy, or the linen felt wrong somehow, so I kept looking.

I walked into the Surplus Store in Culver City and found a pile of Broner's "Mo' Money" hats. The price was $16.50 in white and black.

The Broner hat just feels right and it falls over to the side at just the right angle. I am very happy with this cap.

I decided I wanted a second cap in another color, so I located them on the internet. Price for the black is $18.00 on the internet. Inexplicably, the other colors of the same hat are different prices.

This is no big deal, as even the most expensive color is about the same price as a Newsboy from The Hat People (and you don't have to put up with a safety pin size adjustment or a wire in the brim).

Ebay link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Broner-8-4-...hash=item41b07c89eb:m:mNHeDEpDkdOwY6YsVvHEY6A

RJR

s-l1600.jpg

I had been looking for the perfect Big Apple or Newsboy cap for a long time. I wanted one made out of all cotton, so it would age like an old pair of jeans. It needed to be the correct size (no tab adjustment) and to have a substantial construction that one associates with a better quality of hat.

I tried on many Newsboy hats over the years, but the wool was scratchy, or the linen felt wrong somehow, so I kept looking.

I walked into the Surplus Store in Culver City and found a pile of Broner's "Mo' Money" hats. The price was $16.50 in white and black.

The Broner hat just feels right and it falls over to the side at just the right angle. I am very happy with this cap.

I decided I wanted a second cap in another color, so I located them on the internet. Price for the black is $18.00 on the internet. Inexplicably, the other colors of the same hat are different prices.

This is no big deal, as even the most expensive color is about the same price as a Newsboy from The Hat People (and you don't have to put up with a safety pin size adjustment or a wire in the brim).

Ebay link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Broner-8-4-...hash=item41b07c89eb:m:mNHeDEpDkdOwY6YsVvHEY6A
Nice find,congrats.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks for the tip - I'd never heard of them. How's the sweatband? A couple of the hats I have with cloth sweatbands I've found to be irritating to my skin, particularly in the warm weather. Sort of itchy and uncomfortable. Any feelings about it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider