Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk

MikeKardec

One Too Many
Wow! What an amazing, complicated, ambitious, film. Not for everyone and containing some problems but very, very, impressive.

The story is intercut between moments covering Pvt. Bill Lynn's tour of duty in Iraq and the final day of what is essentially an Army propaganda tour celebrating his heroic actions on behalf of a wounded fellow soldier. He hand his squad are scheduled to appear as part of an over the top halftime show at a Texas (his home state) football game.

It's familiar format, a catastrophic event is explored by contrasting it with the public or institutional reaction to it ... like Clint Eastwood's recent movie Sully. But far more than that Billy Lynn dives deep into the creepy phenomenon of people's attempts to try and possess one another's stories. The brief heroism of Billy Lynn's attempts to save one of his platoon's sergeants is a story that is leveraged by nearly everyone and every institution in the movie (Billy Lynn' Long Halftime Walk was also an extraordinary novel).

The Army tries to use it as a way of spinning an already unpopular war, the football team tries to use it to add some shine to their reputations which will help them in the building of a new stadium, an agent tries to sell "their story" (the story of Billy's Squad) to the movie studios ... and it's really not a story, this brave kid ran into a hail of bullets to save a man who dies anyway, the "story" lacks the sort of additional twist (which this film has in spades) that makes it saleable. The movie requires all these people's reactions, their attempts to colonize his bravery, to turn it into an actual story worth telling by commenting on humanity, the media and our own egos.

In my opinion it reaches it's most horrific and most subtle expression, late in the movie, when a young drama vampire pulls away from Billy in momentary revulsion when he doesn't act perfectly according to the script she has consciously or unconsciously written for herself (with him as it's primary prop). Even his beloved sister, the person you discover has the most right to feel that she is a part of his story, has got an agenda for this young man ... though in her case she has a legitimate excuse. People use the soldiers of Billy's squad to oppose the war, to support the troops, to make money, impress their friends, feel good about themselves and to test their masculinity or femininity. Finally, the squad itself must take a stand to control their own story, and regain their identities. Their reality is threatened to its core and as the film ends they feel that while their bodies may be safer at home their souls may well have been safer in Iraq.

The most controversial aspect of the movie, and the one unfortunately least likely to be appreciated for good or ill, has been the way it was shot. Billy Lynn was produced in ground breaking 4000 line resolution, 120 frame per second, 3-D. It's a format that few theaters can present and one that is not yet perfected. Unlike many recent 3-D movies this one was not timidly shot by a director who would rather be working in a traditional format (many directors HATE 3-D with a passion), Ang Lee was going for the gold ring here and it shows ... it's a odd looking film in regular 2-D. Early showings were supposedly so "hyper real" and in your face that it was jarring and, though it made you appreciate the soldiers combat fueling reactions to the hyper stimulating environment of the football game, it was also just a bit too much for comfort. Possibly this is how audiences felt in the very first movies, when a close up could make people flee the theater because of its overwhelming intimacy.

In addition it supposedly had an impact on people's interpretation of the performances. Ever see a behind the scenes video included in DVD "bonus features" where a movie scene is shown in its raw form, brightly lit, no editing, no sound effects? Ever notice that often the performances are not nearly as convincing as they were in the finished movie? Some of this is because we mentally adjust our experience based on whether it looks like a polished movie or not and whether it looks like rough and raw life. In the rough and raw version acting looks like "acting." Supposedly a similar effect undermined the 3-D version of Billy Lynn. Regardless, the film is still highly effecting and emotional.

I did not get to see it in 3-D but, once upon a time, I worked in film and am somewhat familiar with 3-D, high resolution formats like 4000 line and high frame rates like 120 fps. Having had that experience it was pretty easy to understand some of what the final product might have looked like and what the problems would have been. It was a ballsy attempt, perfectly in tune with the subject matter of the movie. Issues like those mentioned above which were reported in advance screenings may have been mitigated a bit through additional processing in post. I know that they were in consultation with Douglass Trumbull (a man who's special effects career goes back to 2001: A Space Odyssey and a pioneer of high rez/high speed film formats) about finding a way to keep the original 3-D version's intensity while also making it easier to watch.

All in all Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk is probably one of the most important events in traditional cinema (as opposed to VR or things of that sort) since the turn of the 21st century, it's only too bad that it is so far ahead of its time that we may not get to see it in all it's intended glory.

EngProf

Practically Family
I know it's very subjective and may be hard to describe in words, but can you relate what things look like in 4000 line resolution, 120 frame per second, 3-D?
What if it's just 2-D?
At some point I'll likely see such things for myself, but it probably won't be very soon.

MikeKardec

One Too Many
I know it's very subjective and may be hard to describe in words, but can you relate what things look like in 4000 line resolution, 120 frame per second, 3-D?
What if it's just 2-D?
At some point I'll likely see such things for myself, but it probably won't be very soon.

I have yet to see this film or any other in this exact process, as far as I know only one or two theaters are showing it in 4k 120 3-D. However, I have seen Showscan, an old film process that ran 70mm film at 60fps. I have also seen regular 4K 3-D and 2K 60fps 3-D. I used to produce TV movies and I studied film at a top effects and animation school (though it's been awhile) so theoretically I have seen most of the component parts of the process and I can make some pretty good guesses what things look like.

The "better" mediums are more lifelike, they contain more information, etc. You can see skin pores, dirt in the carpet, where the plaster covering the walls was skimped on because it was "just a set." Make up becomes very obvious and hard to do. Billy Lynn doesn't suffer from any of this, I'm just saying that we perceive the advanced process as if there is more there there. These films can be kind of "in your face." Even in 2-D I wanted Steve Martin to back up a bit when I was watching Billy Lynn last night (incidentally he's excellent, his best noncomedic role in years) ... in 3-D his nose would be in your lap, pores and all. Realize the film occasionally uses this technology to "get too real" on you. The general point of view is that of a PTSD afflicted combat veteran who wasn't a super sophisticated or worldly guy to begin with.

But that's really just the tip of the iceberg. Most of the time, we don't want film to look "real." It's art, it's representation even if it's realistic and accurate. When we make films we light them selectively, we wet every street, hype the colors, add smoke to the set of a room that is supposed to be empty to give it some flavor, some interpretation. The cameras and editorial systems and projectors also damage the sense of reality and we, as audience members, just accept it. At high frame rates motion is smoother, at the old 24 fps you were nearly at you minimum for perceiving uninterrupted motion. Your brain knows even if it doesn't consciously bother you. We compensate. A lot of the reality is in our mind.

The Showscan test films I saw as a film student had an amazing sense of motion, they could make you carsick. I remember one slow zoom in on a young Heather Locklear's eye like it was yesterday. Amazingly, they claimed that testing had proven your retention of images was tremendously improved with Showscan. If my memory is a good example they were right.

And much of the Billy Lynn process is more about fixing problems than anything else. At the old 24fps rate when you moved the camera around in certain ways you get a flutter or strobing effect. It shows up in plenty of movies though they used to be careful to avoid it before the 1970s and it is less easy to see on a small screen. Today we take it for granted. In 3-D it is twice as bad because 3-D is shot with two cameras. Going up to 60fps gets it under control but that's just reducing the problem back to something tolerable. The recent Hobbit films were shot in 60fps 3-D they were okay, I expect 120 is considerably less stress on the brain. A lot of digitally released films today are shown in 2K, so 4K is more detail (not so important) but also can be used to deliver more light exactly where you need it, so digital films (which are notably dim seeming) can not look normal with out the audience feeling that someone has just painfully turned up the overall brightness.

Even watching Billy Lynn in 2-D in a 2k theater it was startlingly "clear." Like I said I occasionally wanted it to back off a bit. That comes from shooting at 5 times the film speed and with an Ultra High Definition camera (4k). It also comes from a choice not to intentionally degrade the image. A lot of the craft of cinematography is artfully degrading images that are too sharp and too bright, that goes back to the 1920s at least.

Many people who saw the souped up 3-D version said it looked like somebody's home videos (which have not been artfully degraded) both blow up to 20 feet tall and at the same time like it was sitting in their laps. They said the actors performances, at that level of unadulterated realism, were "too much" and seemed stilted. This was not my experience in the 2-D version, however.

We are still at the pioneering stage of fooling around with this stuff. Digital cameras have finally made it cheap enough to really experiment with. Showscan was really costly, noisy, and required a ton of light (which in those pre LED days ment lots of heat). The digital video versions are not cost free but they are vastly more economical.

Billy Lynn triumphs over all this because it's a deep film, meticulously written and directed. It made an attempt to artistically use a hyper real presentation format in what was, at the very least a very intelligent and ambitious motion picture. I hope it's back in 4K 160fps 3-D around Oscar time because it deserves serious consideration.

Everettfal

New in Town
[
Новые образы актрисы | New images of the actress

BukhTe7.jpg

Сайт | Website: https://olgafadeeva.info

]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto