Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black Suit

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes, plain black- at least this is what I was aiming at all the time. Maybe tone on tone pattern (like wide stripes in the weave) but certainly pinstripes are a different thing.
Your jacket is great btw. I am ab big fan of the silhouette.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Yes, for modern suits and everyday wear he has a point. But finding the many black 30s suits in germany often makes you wonder if they can be worn. And I think they can.

I feel the same. If a black suit is not deemed appropriate for vintage wear, why are there so many black vintage suits available? They may not be considered to be part of the vintage look for North America, but in continental Europe the black suit was common. So for a European look, the black suit is perfect.

Cobden

Practically Family
Whilst I am not a fan of black suits (at least not for wear in the Anglo-Saxon world), I agree the evidence is indeed mounting in favour of the appropriateness of black suits on the continent, or at least in Germany. Maybe it just never fell out of favour in the late 19th Century

Flat Foot Floey

BUMP because I saw some great black suits from other FL members. Some of them are german which seems to be another proof that they were more common in there than in the US or even UK. The "rules" about black suits seem to be quite different in continental europe.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Or as Agent Smith of the Matrix, on Halloween.

Or as the black angel?

[video=youtube;qfDcKP5pBQE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfDcKP5pBQE[/video]

"I feel comfortable in black, its slimming. When I was on earth I owned a gallery..."

Oldsarge

One Too Many
I think a black suit is just the ticket for evenings at the symphony or the theater. The current 'rules' against black suits are nothing but individuals putting on airs and pretending to be aristocrats demeaning black suits as 'servant wear'. A pox on the lot of them.

gqmagic

One of the Regulars
I think a black suit is just the ticket for evenings at the symphony or the theater. The current 'rules' against black suits are nothing but individuals putting on airs and pretending to be aristocrats demeaning black suits as 'servant wear'. A pox on the lot of them.

Sums it up very succinctly, IMO

Flat Foot Floey

peekcloppenburg1930er01.jpg

Here is another mention of the balck suit in a german catalog from 1938. I try a free translation.

On the right: Black with white stripes it is suitabel for afternoon and evening (a black version for the evening is also avaivable) and it is often demanded by customers from aborad. Peek und Cloppenburg is the right retailer for it.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
This noise about black suits not being vintage is hogwash; in a modern context (read: for work) I avoid them, but when it comes to vintage dressing (read: for fun) it's all on!

Here is a black suit of American origin, dated 1944:

IMG_1820.jpg

Here's a 30s suit of European -- probably German -- origin. Note, it's not navy. I lightened the photo a bit to pickup the cloth's herringbone weave:

IMG_1831.jpg

Sylvesterd

Familiar Face
What is the black has pinstripe in it? I find black acceptable.m

As for being inappropriate in the work place, it is sad to say that many in the professional fields tend to dress like the college intern these days. The basic khaki slacks, and brown shoes. Few yrs ago one would still wear a button down shirt. However, now it is considered acceptable to wear a Polo shirt. Therefore, I'm not entirely sure who is making the rules for the work place.

I went into a major bank where I found the men wearing not only wrinkled pants and shirts,but also just the most mismatched outfits of the lowest quality. Funny these are the same men who will still spend $$$ on sneakers or a track suit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points