Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blades! by The Edge

Chamorro

A-List Customer
Blades! by The Edge

This is too long too copy all the info, so I'll just link to it and repost the pics.
http://pub227.ezboard.com/fregularguyfrm12.showMessage?topicID=1.topic
SPECWAR-B-SFS.JPG

M16_ALUM.JPG

atx51.jpg

cqtmagnum_ruler_pic.jpg

scout.JPG

sc-36ge.jpg

master.JPG

AL1005UBK4.jpg

C64.jpg

cqtmagnum_ruler_pic.jpg

Imahomer

Practically Family
Personally, I'm very partial to the auto. knifes (push button types). I've got a beauty that is a Smith & Wesson, a couple of Benchmade and a knockout from East Germany. Those would be my "high end" auto knifes. I've got some of the cheaper, vintage look Stiletto types too.

Chamorro

A-List Customer
Every Day Carry thanks to The Edge

Back on the old Fedora Lounge, The Edge posted about his EDC being a Columbia River Knives M16.

On that endorsement, I got this:
CRKTM1614M.jpg

aCRM1614Mboxjpg.jpg

aCRM1614Mclpjpg.jpg

CRM16-14M.jpg

M1614M1.jpg

M1614M2.jpg

M1614M3.jpg

It's a CRKT M16-14 Military. Here are the specifications:

Closed length is 5.31". Blade length is 3.94" with a 3.88" cutting edge. Weight is 4.9 oz. The blade has a dual grind Tanto edge with Titanium Nitride coating and partial Triple-Point serrations and is made of tough AUS-8 Stainless Steel. Razor sharp. The blade pivots on Teflon bearings. The handle is strong HARD ANODIZED aircraft aluminum in military olive drab. The knife is assembled with Torx screws. This knife is equipped with the "LAWKS" SAFETY BLADE LOCK SYSTEM, and the CARSON FLIPPER which can speed blade opening and acts as a finger guard. Comes with a pocket / belt clip attached.

I was torn between this one and the CRKT M16-14SF (the Special Forces knife) but chose this one because the smaller, single Carson flipper seemed like it would be more comfortable for in-the-pocket carrying. I guess I'll just have to get that one later now that I know how nice these knives are.

Easily, the best pocketknife I have ever owned.

Thanks to The Edge. The boy sure knows his stuff.

The_Edge

One of the Regulars
Chamorro,

I had no idea that you were interested in getting a knife and that thread was quite sometime ago. I'm glad I could help in some small way.

You got a heck of a blade there! Beautiful! I'm glad that you got the aluminum scales for the grip instead of the Zytel. Much more durable and useful.

Now all you need is a Lansky pocket sharpener like the one I have pictured below. I've tried a number of different portable sharpeners and this one has worked the best for me. It is not for heavy duty sharpening of a dull blade. Just for honing an all ready profiled edge. Give your blade a few strokes on this every now and then, especially after hard use and you'll keep a razor sharp edge. They only cost around ten bucks. It will sharpen your serations too.

M16-13.JPG

Jsoftz

New in Town
Actually, I was just in the neighborhood to buy a nice knife myself. Having just "finished" at Michaels (i've got a new job and am only going to work once a week or so) as a stockboy, I no longer have access to a handy knife. In the 8 months I carried a simple box cutter i've come to appreciate how handy one of these things can be. So now i'm going to get a good knife, where can I purchase this one and for how much? Only problem is, I can't carry it all day- at school it's outlawed. Thanks, Josh.

PrettyBigGuy

A-List Customer
I've got a CRKT M16-02Z! It has the same tanto style blade that yours has Chamorro but without the serations. It is certainly a great knife and since I've owned it, it has replaced my Cold Steel clipmate as my everyday carry knife. I highly recommend these knives to anyone who is in the market.
FYI, CRKT has great customer service too. About a year after getting this knife, 2 of the allen screws fell out of the pocket clip and were lost. I just recently got around to contacting the company and they sent me free replacements! Needless to say I applied loc-tite to them before re-attaching the clip and they haven't budged.
PBG

The_Edge

One of the Regulars
Jsoftz,

One of the best places I've found to buy knives at low prices is at Oso Grande Knives. They have a huge selection and very competative prices. I recommend calling in your order because then you will be able to get an instant answer on whether or not the knife you want is in stock. Definitely try and find a store that sells them though so you can go in and look at them and hold the knife you are interested in before purchasing online. I was interested in the M16-SF that Chamorro mentioned until I actually held it in my hand. I found that the dual flippers got in my way a lot. I'm glad I didn't buy it from just a picture.

I also recommend Spyderco knives. Spyderco makes some excellent blades. Do your research though and don't just take my word for it.

When I went to school I carried a pocket knife every day from about 7th grade through graduation. Nobody cared back then. I'd sharpen my pencils with it right there in class. We live in much more paranoid times now. All the more reason to stay prepared.

Good luck in your search.

The_Edge

One of the Regulars
I've never had a problem with any of the tiny screws coming loose on my knife. I did loose the pivot screw one time though which was my fault. I wanted a faster action so I loosened it a bit too much. CRKT sent me a replacement free of charge. Excellent company.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Did you

Did you hear the one about the guy who broughe a knife to a gun fight? I hate knives, having seen a good friend of mine screwing around and slicing severely his three fingers (he recovered).

When it comes to knives, give me a wooden handle and a very, very sharp blade. Cuts the tomatoes fresh from the garden the best! As for a defense weapon....gotta get too close for me!

PrettyBigGuy

A-List Customer
Andykev,
Personally, I don't carry a knife with the intention of using it as a weapon. It is more of a tool to open cartons maybe as an emergency screwdriver. I really don't think I have it in me to intentionally hurt somebody with a knife.
Sorry to hear about your freind though. It looks like he learned his lesson the hard way!
PBG

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
Agreed. I hope I never have to defend myself with a knife.

My military model Spyderco folding knife goes with me everywhere except on commercial aircraft....and England since 911. They were nutty about knives before 911. Now they are down right intolerant.

I use my knife daily for all kinds of things. Those few times when I don't have it, I find myself reaching for it to do something only to find it not there.
I see people trying to use keys, pens and all kinds of awkward things for tasks that a knife is much better suited for.

I don't know how other guys get along with out one.

The_Edge

One of the Regulars
Well said, PBG and MK. I carry my knives as tools first and foremost. Chance favors the prepared mind.

As for carry in England, and I could be mistaken, that it is lawful to carry a blade under three inches but it can not be locked open. A small SAK, for example, would probably not be a problem. The Spyderco "Pride" would make a nice European carry, I would think.

Imahomer

Practically Family
Well my Benchmade auto knife has helped me out on several occassions. I have to admit though, that I'm spoiled and hooked on the auto knifes and lucky enough to be able to carry them. I've got a pretty good assortment. I'll have to snap some photos and post them.

Tmac

New in Town
My favorite everyday carry knife is a Cold Steel el Lobo, light as a feather and razor edge. That said, I usually carry a Buck or Gerber multi tool with me too. I almost never use the knife blade on them as they are clumsy, but the other features are handy. It's suprising the number of people who asked to borrow a knife, when what they need is a screwdriver. I have had a number of blades buggered up by these people so now always ask why they need a knife.

I have noticed that our society has gotten "kinder/gentler" that a pocket knife produces an amazing amount of alarm, shock or horror when pulled out for some simple task.

The_Edge

One of the Regulars
Originally posted by Tmac

I have noticed that our society has gotten "kinder/gentler" that a pocket knife produces an amazing amount of alarm, shock or horror when pulled out for some simple task.

Ain't that the truth! Sheeple drive me crazy! (and it's a short drive.)

Indy Magnoli

Vendor
Chamorro, that's a great looking knife. CRKT has sure come a long way. I remember when they only offered a half dozen different styles... but I've always loved them. A great knife for the money!

Regarding the clip placement, do you find it easy to get out and open one-handed? Edge, where do you prefer your clip? My Emerson has the clip on the butt end and I've always found this set-up easier.

Kind regards,
Indy

The_Edge

One of the Regulars
I prefer pocket clips to be fastened at the pivot end with the blade point down when folded and in my pocket. The reason being is because I carry my knife in my left pocket and deploy with my right hand. When I reach across my body and grab the knife my thumb is automatically placed near the thumb stud. I've carried this way for years.

There is no right or wrong way to have a pocket clip. It all comes down to personal preference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points