Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blue Black dye?

SheBear74

Practically Family
Can anyone recommend a permanent black hair dye that has major blue tones to it? I have tried Garnier(sp?) and did the L'oreal onyx but I want more blue! I noticed Inky is sporting an awesome blue color, but not sure how to get that or even close to that.

miserabelle

One of the Regulars
I think the last one I used was a feria one - but it's more of a jet black than a blue black. There is a schwarzkopf blue black that looks good but I haven't tried it yet xx

SheBear74

Practically Family
I have used Feria starry night and unfortunatly it turned my grays purple lol. So far my favorite blue black has been the Garnier, it seems to have the best shine and most blue. I am looking for something a little more amped up though. I can't seem to find anything online about coloring your black hair blue other than to bleach it first.

Blonde

New in Town
Have you tried using an alternative dye to your hair? Like SFX or Manic Panic dye. You will have a subtle tint of blue, it won't last very long as it is a demi-permanent vegetable dye, but it's easy enough to re-dye every week or two.

When I used to have red highlights I would just apply it all to my head, and my natural growth had a tinge of deep red. If you're looking for a real deep blue you're going to have to bleach though, there's no way around that one.

Smumo

New in Town
I have teal hair right now, but in the past for blue-black what I've done is dyed my hair black and then put a blue tint on over it. Lots of different companies make blue demi-permanent dyes. My favorite company right now is Directions. It would show up a subtle blue over your black hair and you would have to refresh every few weeks, but it is a beautiful effect. Demi-permanent vegetable dyes (like Directions or Manic Panic) are not damaging to your hair.

SheBear74

Practically Family
I did see those at Sally's yesterday and the guy said you had to bleach your hair first... Hmmm guess he didn't know what he was talking about. I just dyed it last night and have to dye it every 3-4 weeks cause I have lotsa grays. :p I really want to try it but maybe I should wait until after my friends up coming wedding. lol

Thanks so much for the info!

Smumo

New in Town
If you want the blue that's on the sample (i.e. pure blue) you DO have to bleach your hair first. If you're just looking for a subtle tint where it looks blue-ish when the light hits it right, then you can just put on the darker colors over black hair.

I've been doing wild hair colors for years. The lighter colors (pinks, teal, lavender) have to go on over bleached hair. The dark colors can give a subtle hint over darker hair OR you can bleach it to get a really strong color. The best colors for going over dark hair and giving a subtle colored sheen are dark reds, dark purples and dark blues. Anything else just won't show up.

Lollipop

Familiar Face
Have you tried a blue kicker? Add more Blue into the blue-black color, or try putting a blue color over your hair.

Personally, The only Blue-Black I've tried, and always got the color AND loved I want is Shades EQ.

zombi

A-List Customer
I used a Garnier blue-black for years, it's probably the same one you're using. It comes out the most blue by itself in my experience. If you are wanting more blue than that, I think the best bet is to put a blue SFX or Manic Panic vegetable dye over your black periodically to amp up the blue.

If you are just wanting BLUE HAIR, then yes, you will have to bleach it.

SheBear74

Practically Family
No I don't want straight blue hair or to bleach my hair. I love having it black I just wanted more blue to it. Is Manic Panic easy to work with? I have seen Splat around as well. So say I put blue over it, what's the worst that could happen? lol See I am already thinking of doing it before the wedding and I really should wait!

Blonde

New in Town
Yeah, just spread it evenly on your hair, wrap it up in a processing cap for about an hour or two? You will definitely have a blue tint to your hair, and if the wedding is out in the sun, even better!

zombi

A-List Customer
Nothing bad will happen if you're only putting blue over the black, haha. The worst that could happen is it just won't show up.

Manic Panic is kind of runny, and you need to line your hairline with vaseline or something similar because it WILL stain your skin BADLY. Otherwise, Blonde has got it right -- just slap it on, leave it a few hours, and wash it out. I prefer SFX dye because it's a thicker consistency and is easier to work with, for me, but it's not readily available everywhere.

A note on MP though -- it will probably rub off on towels, pillowcases, etc. The stuff seems to get everywhere! You can get it out of tub tiles with baking soda and vinegar, though. Good luck!

Smumo

New in Town
I like to put it on and then comb it through to make sure it goes on evenly. Other than that I slap it on, put on a shower cap and let it sit for a while. You can't over process with vegetable dyes like Manic Panic. Rinse it until it's clear and be careful for a few days as to what it touches while it's wet. Other than that, it's pretty easy. OH if you get some on your skin dab it with shampoo and it will wipe off while it's wet. Don't let it dry on your skin or counters, it's too hard to get back off!

Miss Moonlight

A-List Customer
Do you ever use the simple bottles of dye which you mix with the developer and they don't come in a kit?

The blue-black color by Wella Color Charm is great and it lasts far longer than most boxed drugstore hair dye kits. Sally sells them. And they sell the developer, the gloves, caps, etc.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Do you ever use the simple bottles of dye which you mix with the developer and they don't come in a kit?

The blue-black color by Wella Color Charm is great and it lasts far longer than most boxed drugstore hair dye kits. Sally sells them. And they sell the developer, the gloves, caps, etc.

I've never tried that - I've always thought it involved far more expertise than I possess. Is it easy?

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I've never tried that - I've always thought it involved far more expertise than I possess. Is it easy?

Unless I'm wrong, I think Miss Moonlight is referring to the colour tints that are used to combat natural tones in hair to achieve a certain colour. For example, I used green tint in my platinum dye because my hair is red.

It doesn't take expertise so much as an understanding of the colour wheel. Black dye will take on a violet or blue tone when combined with one of these tints (Wella and Schwarzkopf are both effective) but if you are starting with black hair, use a higher ratio of blue-to-black in your mix, and a higher volume developer, at least 30.

Last edited:

Miss Moonlight

A-List Customer

Super easy.

Unless I'm wrong, I think Miss Moonlight is referring to the colour tints that are used to combat natural tones in hair to achieve a certain colour. For example, I used green tint in my platinum dye because my hair is red.

No, in fact I'm not sure what you're referring to. lol Here's what I mean.

You take a bottle or tube of this in the appropriate color:
color_charm_set.png

And this:
developers_packshot.png

And inside the box lid there is a ratio to use. You mix them in a dye application bottle, and apply to the hair with bottle and dye brush while wearing gloves. Leave on as long as the bottle says, then wash hair and condition. Voila. I've been doing it this way (mostly) since I was in high school. I am not licensed, I buy my supplies at Sally Beauty supply.

Tip: apply petroleum or nonpetroleum jelly to your hairline and ears to avoid staining them.

This brand and others have several colors to choose from.

Chances are if you know others who dye their hair, someone is doing it this way. You might just know someone who can help you in person.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana