Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boater faction!

If you have a contact at Mayser you could probably get a look at them. It's also possible some will go on display at the German Hat Museum in Lindenberg, Gemany. Mayser is headquartered in Lindenberg. Mayser Ulm (main Fur Felt and Fur Felt Hat factory location until 1990s) purchased Milz & Cie. (a Straw Hat only factory at the time) back in the late 1920s. I will see if I can get a look at them when I visit Germany in March.

Bertie.Wooster

One of the Regulars
I was on trademe, a New Zealand Classifieds/Auction site and to my delight found my school's vintage boater for sale starting at 10 dollars, will bid it. Not letting this one go. Apparently it was made by 'The York Hat' in England. Hmmm, I thought it would be a New Zealand one but nevermind. :)

So another in the collection soon.

I know little about boaters but I thought I would bring there pictures here so that those of you who do could study them. The United Confederate Veterans Association was formed in June 1889 at New Orleans LA, some 24 yrs after the end of the Civil War. Their annual reunions were well attended starting in 1890. It is estimated that thru the 1890's attendance averaged approximately 80,000 Veterans & guests each yr. At the reunion of 1911 attendance peaked at 106,000. It was all downhill from that point as old age caught up with the men but reunions continued thru 1951. So that establishes a timeline for when these two hats would have been worn by a reunion attendee.

This is a boater worn at a UCV reunion made by Cappelli Molinari with an unusual Florida pin (palm trees, solid silver), a UCV pin, & has a #2 pin across the front on a gray colored ribbon.

i1bbrr.jpg

35a2ipv.jpg

33c3i54.jpg

10y1650.jpg

25h3hxv.jpg

2vlptoh.jpg

o9qtky.jpg

Made by the Redmond Hat Co. this one has a black ribbon with a UCV pin on the front of the crown. It was found in it's original box. I thought the view of the weave from the side looked interesting.
4l6k20.jpg

mr4v4p.jpg

2vuypzp.jpg

23svfjd.jpg

2ikrrqv.jpg

Bertie.Wooster

One of the Regulars
I know little about boaters but I thought I would bring there pictures here so that those of you who do could study them. The United Confederate Veterans Association was formed in June 1889 at New Orleans LA, some 24 yrs after the end of the Civil War. Their annual reunions were well attended starting in 1890. It is estimated that thru the 1890's attendance averaged approximately 80,000 Veterans & guests each yr. At the reunion of 1911 attendance peaked at 106,000. It was all downhill from that point as old age caught up with the men but reunions continued thru 1951. So that establishes a timeline for when these two hats would have been worn by a reunion attendee.

This is a boater worn at a UCV reunion made by Cappelli Molinari with an unusual Florida pin (palm trees, solid silver), a UCV pin, & has a #2 pin across the front on a gray colored ribbon.

i1bbrr.jpg

35a2ipv.jpg

33c3i54.jpg

10y1650.jpg

25h3hxv.jpg

2vlptoh.jpg

o9qtky.jpg

Made by the Redmond Hat Co. this one has a black ribbon with a UCV pin on the front of the crown. It was found in it's original box. I thought the view of the weave from the side looked interesting.
4l6k20.jpg

mr4v4p.jpg

2vuypzp.jpg

23svfjd.jpg

2ikrrqv.jpg

Rather two rare specimens there. Never heard of those two manufacturers.
That first one needs a new sweatband...... Very decorated boaters indeed.

Very interesting! I couldn't find anything on either of them. I am not sure they are actual hat companies or made up names. Does the one say "The Redmond Hat"? Are there any paper labels?

Very interesting! I couldn't find anything on either of them. I am not sure they are actual hat companies or made up names. Does the one say "The Redmond Hat"? Are there any paper labels?
Yes it does say The Redmond Hat. I can't answer your question about labels as these are not my hats. They are part of a private collection. I found these images while researching Civil War hats.

As the name would imply the Cappelli Molinari was made in Italy. Sorry I can't be of more help.

I have some lists of Italian Hat Companies but I couldn't find this name. My guess is it was made in Italy but the name could be made up. Not sure about the other one because it just says English Manufacturers which I am not sure means much. Regardless they are really fantastic!

Bertie.Wooster

One of the Regulars
Tonight, I won the auction for my vintage 1960s school boater made by 'The York Hat' for a wopping 13.55 dollars. I am going to pick it up tomorrow and do a photo post of the Before & After Crofut Knapp Boater & my newest acquisition, the York hat boater.

I plan to wear it to school. Anyway I bet it has Bon-Ton-Ivy. I wonder if those Bon Ton Ivy sweatbands are nice...... My TRUSIZE on the Crofut & Knapp is sort of useless, as its old, it doesn't work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana