Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boater faction!

Ottmar Reich "Insuperable", French Point 4, 1930s maybe 1920s. This fantastic Kreissäge belongs to Zaleskb. It has a very unique curved weaved on the crown. Also great model name "Insuperable".

35800460070_b86093a943_b.jpg

36023630782_966de3f163_b.jpg

36023617632_137e716f9a_b.jpg

36023631042_9323c16b48_b.jpg

35355117844_ea62aa0d24_b.jpg

35800459470_cb8633535a_b.jpg

Last edited:

Bertie.Wooster

One of the Regulars
7Vh4hqE.png

Now, I live in London and soon, Greater London. So I spotted this little charm on British Ebay. 20 quid for a King's College, Canterbury school boater.

It was a chance to reclaim a lost treasure in the past. On reverb, several years ago, I saw the exact same King's College boater and missed it! It was only 5 quid.

Anyway, picking this little gem in a few days. I will post nicer photos.

Bertie.Wooster

One of the Regulars
kyMZFFA.png

Possible Taunton School Boater

This boater looked like the right size for my mother and she wanted a boater. I thought this would be an excellent choice. Expands my online school textiles collection and she gets herself a summer hat. 15 pounds off British Ebay.

My collection seems to be growing vastly in the UK. :)

Pedigree Hats made boater sold by Wilmot's Men's Shop in Olympia Washington. No tags under the nice supple black sweat. Hard to determine an age on this one, the Wimot's stores were out of business in the 1960s. They only had three stores in Washington, Port Angeles, Olympia and Seattle. The weave on the brim is perfect, with a inlay strip(?). The patina of the straw is just right. It is a 7 1/4 LO but very narrow! Steam and my former did not make a difference. Nice fit, but a little tight in the temples.

13Sep17 Pedigree Boater side.jpg
13Sep17 Pedigree Boater size tag.jpg
13Sep17 Pedigree Boater Wilmots liner.jpg
13Sep17 Pedigree Boater detail.jpg

Ottmar Reich "Insuperable", French Point 4, 1930s maybe 1920s. This fantastic Kreissäge belongs to Zaleskb. It has a very unique curved weaved on the crown. Also great model name "Insuperable".

35800460070_b86093a943_b.jpg

36023630782_966de3f163_b.jpg

36023617632_137e716f9a_b.jpg

36023631042_9323c16b48_b.jpg

35355117844_ea62aa0d24_b.jpg

35800459470_cb8633535a_b.jpg

Pedigree Hats made boater sold by Wilmot's Men's Shop in Olympia Washington. No tags under the nice supple black sweat. Hard to determine an age on this one, the Wimot's stores were out of business in the 1960s. They only had three stores in Washington, Port Angeles, Olympia and Seattle. The weave on the brim is perfect, with a inlay strip(?). The patina of the straw is just right. It is a 7 1/4 LO but very narrow! Steam and my former did not make a difference. Nice fit, but a little tight in the temples.

View attachment 85936 View attachment 85937 View attachment 85938 View attachment 85939
BOTH of these hats have some really cool details...............absolutely awesome!!!!! A++++++
M

View attachment 85936 View attachment 85937 View attachment 85938 View attachment 85939
Mike, Great find!

I'm obviously a new guy in these parts; can you gentleman help me out with a couple of simple boater questions?
1. I'm looking at two used boaters on eBay: a Ponte Rialto and an Olney. Is one preferred over the other?
2. Are there current production boaters I should be looking at?

For background: I'm looking for a hat to wear, not to collect. I don't care about being authentic to a period, but I do want a nice hat that will give me years of service; sort of the Akubra of the boater world. Thank you.

I'm obviously a new guy in these parts; can you gentleman help me out with a couple of simple boater questions?
1. I'm looking at two used boaters on eBay: a Ponte Rialto and an Olney. Is one preferred over the other?
2. Are there current production boaters I should be looking at?

For background: I'm looking for a hat to wear, not to collect. I don't care about being authentic to a period, but I do want a nice hat that will give me years of service; sort of the Akubra of the boater world. Thank you.
Check this out on JC Penny website.....
.https://m.jcpenney.com/p/scala-clas...793473101-sku^53761250117-adType^PLA.......on sale for under $40......I have handled these hats.....they are actually straw (wheat). Nice looking hats......and well made.
M

M Hatman, I've handled the Scala boaters (they seem to be everywhere) and I was hoping to get something nicer. I'm not looking for a costume piece, but rather a high quality hat that will see lots of wear in the warmer months. I don't mind spending more for a quality product. I'm sure the Scalia isn't a bad hat, it's just not what I'm looking for.

M Hatman, I've handled the Scala boaters (they seem to be everywhere) and I was hoping to get something nicer. I'm not looking for a costume piece, but rather a high quality hat that will see lots of wear in the warmer months. I don't mind spending more for a quality product. I'm sure the Scalia isn't a bad hat, it's just not what I'm looking for.
I misunderstood...when I think e-bay my mind goes to vintage....I sometimes forget they sell new.

Most every hat shop or store has boaters.....many are fine quality but expensive ($150 plus).

Vintage are MUCH harder to judge without holding them in your hand and can have many more problems (dried out straw, sweatband, or breaks in the straw) than a simular aged felt.

If you want a quality hat that will take a lot of use I suggest you go for a new one from a reputable hat shop....if possible, visit the store and examine them for you preferences. Other than the sweat (cloth or leather....type of leather) they are all generally made out of wheat straw and woven much the same, though there can be small variances in the weave and interior construction......I have over half a dozen vintage ranging from the 1930's to the 50's and they vary little beyond the ribbon treatments and brim thickness. Now the ones from the turn of the century through the 20's tend to exhibit some really cool weaves and ribbon treatments......they are hands down my favorites........
M

I misunderstood...when I think e-bay my mind goes to vintage....I sometimes forget they sell new.

Most every hat shop or store has boaters.....many are fine quality but expensive ($150 plus).

Vintage are MUCH harder to judge without holding them in your hand and can have many more problems (dried out straw, sweatband, or breaks in the straw) than a simular aged felt.

If you want a quality hat that will take a lot of use I suggest you go for a new one from a reputable hat shop....if possible, visit the store and examine them for you preferences. Other than the sweat (cloth or leather....type of leather) they are all generally made out of wheat straw and woven much the same, though there can be small variances in the weave and interior construction......I have over half a dozen vintage ranging from the 1930's to the 50's and they vary little beyond the ribbon treatments and brim thickness. Now the ones from the turn of the century through the 20's tend to exhibit some really cool weaves and ribbon treatments......they are hands down my favorites........
M
Did you see the screen shots of the boater I just uploaded here? Very cool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk