Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boots for heavy rain

Edward

Bartender
Potato for potato, chips are certainly not cheap:p
But speaking of keeping your feet dry British Army assault boots, probably superseded by now as you can buy brand new pairs on the open market. The older 'Northern Ireland' boots were pretty good too.

Which ones were the NI boots? I recognise NI gloves, but never heard it applied to the boots - even if I'm sure I saw more than enough of them in my youth!

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Peacoat and Grayland ;

I'm thinking Bean is the way to go.

I do like the Chesea look in the Bean but they may be loose feeling. Mocs would be susceptible to rain puddles going over the side. The three eyelet gumshoe is doable . On looks, to me it's the 6 inch or the gumshoe

Does 6 or 8 inch make a big difference since no big snow inMemphis? Definitely getting theinsulated

Another thing, they have a bison upper on one pair. More desireable?

One pair with red bottoms are sold out in my size

Mine are the 8-inch and I have the thinsulate lined model, not the more thickly lined model. In serious upstate NY snow, I would wear more serious winter boots, but find the Bean boots are great in rain, muck, and "normal" snow. I considered the bison version, but didn't like the color of the rubber part of the boot as much as the regular version. They are pretty damn comfortable and have been from the beginning. I'm lucky that I have an LL Bean store close by to try them on for size prior to buying. I'm a size 10.5 and bought 10 in the Bean boots. They work great with the slightly thicker socks I usually wear with them.

memphislawyer

Practically Family
Ok, Sperry out.

Options are:

6" (easier to get in and out?) priced $119

Gumshoe (lower styling, more a shoe, not a boot, perhaps more likely to wear?) priced $109

8 inch (easier to tuck pants in, or leave tops unlaced and tuck front in, and they have an 8" with tumbled leather and padded collar. Wonder if the collar makes a difference but they say the tumbled leather is softer and more broken in) $129 for regular, $139 for tumbled with padded collar

Gotta decide today, last day for 25% off.

Peacoat

Bartender
Don't overthink this. Just go for the standard with the 6" tops. Will be plenty comfortable and will be all you need in the mild Memphis weather. For you the 8" boots would be overkill, and the gum shoes won't be enough protection from the water. Simple really.

Jesus Christ, don't pay that much for rubber boots! It's a gimmick. Especially those rubber Chelsea boots. What's the use of putting a non waterproof fabric on rubber boots!? Might as well have two holes in 'em.

The only boots for heavy rain are those standard PVC ones worn by farmers, Wellies or however you wanna call them. And I doubt there's a single farmer that paid more than $10 for their pair. I've had some luck in Danners but only after waterproofing them and that don't last long. Leather is the worst.

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wellies work well for mucking around in mud and rain but are heavy and uncomfortable for anything more. They'll never conform to your feet or ankles and are usually very wide at the top. Bean boots are quite a bit more comfortable and wearable when in the city. You don't need calf high wellingtons when you're just going to be bumping into the occasional puddle.

memphislawyer

Practically Family
Thought about Wellies but not as much support, Muck boots, like the Excursion Pro or Muckster 11, might have worked
The Beans are 25% through today and free shipping

6" is the ones for me

Color combo, these have black tops, lighter brown and tumbled leather upper

503481_45965_41

or

Peacoat

Bartender
Good deal. You may have to send them back to get the right fit as sizing can be a bit tricky. They are sized to be worn over medium weight wool socks. When you get the fit right, I think they will do the job for you. They have for me for about 30 years.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Which ones were the NI boots? I recognise NI gloves, but never heard it applied to the boots - even if I'm sure I saw more than enough of them in my youth!
Hi Edward, it's what an ex soldier described them with the words "I recognise NI boots anywhere" as my feet were sticking out from under a car. A former soldier just wanting a chat thinking I was ex forces too I suppose.
The boots were a more modern version of the old style, quite plain with not so much heavy stitched panels. Leather lined, high leg with the gusset going right to the top lace hole(roughly about 10 holes), soles a sort of zigzag patten.
Just looked on Google images, they may have been known as Britton Boots, I bought them new from a surplus store in the 1990s and comfortable from the first wearing the soles split after a good few years but they were wearing flat. With a good dose of Nickwax they were pretty well waterproof.
Maybe the name was a Regiment nickname thing from the 70s or 80s?

Edward

Bartender
Hi Edward, it's what an ex soldier described them with the words "I recognise NI boots anywhere" as my feet were sticking out from under a car. A former soldier just wanting a chat thinking I was ex forces too I suppose.
The boots were a more modern version of the old style, quite plain with not so much heavy stitched panels. Leather lined, high leg with the gusset going right to the top lace hole(roughly about 10 holes), soles a sort of zigzag patten.
Just looked on Google images, they may have been known as Britton Boots, I bought them new from a surplus store in the 1990s and comfortable from the first wearing the soles split after a good few years but they were wearing flat. With a good dose of Nickwax they were pretty well waterproof.
Maybe the name was a Regiment nickname thing from the 70s or 80s?

Sounds like a pair I had. I bought mine in a surplus store, though legend had it there were parts of Belfast where it was de riguer to suggest they had been.... otherwise acquired. We lived in interesting times.

I get the impression a lot of the BA standard issue stuff might have been referred to as 'Northern Ireland' on the basis that, Falklands and Kuwait aside, it was the most significant conflict theatre for them, certainly the most consistent for some time. I would expect most Brit squaddies of a certain vintage would have done a tour in NI, quite plausibly their first away.

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
My mother still has hers! Bought in the 80s, they're as tough today as they were then.

I oughta get my own pair someday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk