Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bourbon

kyboots

Practically Family
I like Jefferson, Four Roses (honest, it's not like the old Four Roses), and Double Oaked Woodford. Can anyone from Kentucky tell me if there is an
ywhere to buy Pappy Van Winkle (Lot B, not the 20 year old)? It doesn't seem to exist around here.
You just want to be difficult! I don't think they make it anymore. They went to an extreme old aged bourbon that cost a lot. I am sure you have checked their website but my friends say no. They make a Rip Van Winkle that is 9 or 10 years old, but the vote here is "no longer made". Hope you have better luck and someone finds it! BTW you are correct about Four Roses.---John

Last edited:

katon

New in Town
Jim Beam still makes a bonded bourbon, which mostly seems to end up heading to Australia and New Zealand.

Tu8B7.jpg

Auld Edwardian

A-List Customer
I treat myself to some Knob Creek on occasion. A friend gave me some as a birthday present several years ago. I thought I up till then I only cared for a nice single malt Scotch when it came to whiskey.

ruthcrowder

New in Town
I wish to share my favorite Bourbon recipe-"The Whiskey Sour". Here goes the recipe-

Ingredients:

45ml (3 parts) Bourbon whiskey
30ml (2 parts) fresh lemon juice
15ml (1 part) Gomme syrup
dash egg white (optional)

Glass: Old fashioned glass

Preparation:

Combine Bourbon and fresh lime juice in the mixing glass.
Add syrup into the mix.
Shake and strain into the ice-filled old fashioned glass.
Garnish with sugared glass or lemon rind.

All bourbon lovers are invited to try this drink and sharing their experiences.

gear-guy

Practically Family
Same here as most, Jim Beam for everyday drink, Makers sometimes and an up and coming bourbon from Colorado, Breckenridge bourbon. If you can order this in your state it will be worth your while. Great straight bourbon. If you are ever in the wiser hatters area, take the bourbon tour, Jim Beam, Four Roses, Evan Williams, Makers Mark, all within a couple hours drive. Worth you time.

gear-guy

Practically Family
Any state in the United States can make bourbon as long as the.follow the bourbon recipe established by congress in 1964. New american white oak charred barrels 51 percent corn, and not to be cooked over 165 degrees. Also proof must be at least 80 percent. There are other rules but cant remember them off the top of my head. Kentucky sell apporx. 80% of the bourbon in the world, so many think that it must be made in KY> but it can be made anywhere in the United states as long as the manufacture meets the guide lines.

Auld Edwardian

A-List Customer
Any state in the United States can make bourbon as long as the.follow the bourbon recipe established by congress in 1964. New american white oak charred barrels 51 percent corn, and not to be cooked over 165 degrees. Also proof must be at least 80 percent. There are other rules but cant remember them off the top of my head. Kentucky sell apporx. 80% of the bourbon in the world, so many think that it must be made in KY> but it can be made anywhere in the United states as long as the manufacture meets the guide lines.

That is true, but as far as I am aware, the only other state in the US that makes Bourbon is Virginia, which has one distillery in Richmond. There once was a host of distilleries in western Pennsylvania along the Monongahela River, but they are long gone.

kyboots

Practically Family

Other states can make a bourbon receipe whiskey, but Kentucky law requires it to be made in Kentucky if it is marked "Bourbon"; Since it is named after Bourbon County , Kentucky. Bourbon implies a Kentucky product. Obviously this is not really followed. Since 80-90% of the world's boubon is made in Ky. ( over half made in just three counties in central Ky. ) most people always assume a Bourbon is from Ky. and righfully so. Many of these distilleries are open for visitors, and they welcome you to visit. I would encourage you to come see them in action. I noticed the Whiskey Sour receipe which was really popular in the 50's ( must be coming around again ). Most folks still find a bourbon they like, and drink it over ice slowly letting the ice melt some. Never drink a bourbon with Coke, it only ruins the bourbon, is terrible and makes you sick! John

Buzp

New in Town
I usually drink Makers Mark, but recently I have switched to Jim Beam Devil's Cut. I think I like the taste of Devil's Cut and I would recommend that all bourbon drinkers try it.

railroad detect

New in Town
The Old Grandad bottled in bond, 100 proof is great whiskey but is very hard to find. Back in the 60's when I was in the Navy the clubs on base had a house burbon called Old Stag. That was a great cheap whiskey. I don't think they make it anymore. I drink Knob Creek on occasion that is one great drink.

RKidd

New in Town
Bulleit consumed alot around here..Jim Beam Black is popular, Devils Cut is AWESOME. Woodford Reserve has to be at the top of most peoples list around these parts. They used to give out Very Old Barton and Kessler at the tobacco warehouse,guess thats a thing of the past.

okbrewer

New in Town
If you haven't tried it yet, find some Russell's Reserve 10 year old Small Batch bourbon! Very flavorful and a heckuva value!

Bob R in OKC

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I was recently given a bottle of Jim Beam Rye. Any good? What should I mix it with? I'm typically not a rye drinker.

Garrison Brothers is on my list to try.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I admit to not trying Jim Beam Rye because most people say it's horrible. I have tried both sweet and dry vermouth, and I fully believe that they're horrible, so I don't them mix rye with either. Many traditional rye drinks contain one or both sweet and dry vermouth. I bought a 1910 or so bartender's book and the whole thing is x with sweet vermouth, x with dry vermouth, w with both sweet and dry vermouth. Whoppeeeeee.

If memory serves, James mentioned mixing Rye, Maraschino Cherries with a little juice, Angostura bitters, with a little sugar and water to make an Old Fashioned. These are really good.

A second traditional drink made with Rye is just Rye and Ginger ale. I like the Vernor's the best.

You should try a little of the Beam with some cold water, say half and half to see what it tastes like, but I'm not hopeful. I actually have a bunch of Rye Whiskey's in my cabinet including Sazarec, Overholdt, Rittenhouse 100 Proof, Jeffersons, and George Dickel. Sazarec is the best by far, the Rittenhouse 100 is also really good. The best to mix are the Overholdt and the Dickel because they have a decent but not great taste and they're really inexpensive. You're mixing them, so their lack of taste is not a problem.

Hope this helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider