Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bourbon

No...its not bourbon. And I'm not gonna say where it came from or how I got it...or even if I do have it. But I thought y'all like to see something old and nice.

ac0f02af-a370-47a2-9629-43c7ccc8ebc9_zpsaf8a01d7.jpg

AF

State's Exhibition brand old number 3 eh? lol lol
Man look at the legs on that glass jar! There is quite a bit of sweetness involved; I bet. :p Now post a picture after you shake it up so I can proof it by the bubbles. :p

DNO

One Too Many
I usually have a bottle of Makers Mark around but it's running low. I noticed some bottles of Elijah Craig 12 year old in the local liquor store...has anyone tried it?

DesertDan

One Too Many
Woodford's is, a good sippin' or mixing bourbon. Smooth and woody, not too spicy nor too sweet.
I have not tried their special batch pours.

DesertDan

One Too Many
By the by, what is the verdict now that Maker's have watered down?
I haven't bought any since the announcement.

jskeen

One of the Regulars
My personal favorite bourbon for some time now has been Elmer T Lee's signature bottle from the buffalo trace distillery. It is from the same mash bill (#2, IIRC) and aging floor as several of their other higher end bourbons, but is always single cask bottled from a cask that Mr. Lee personally picks out as having "his favorite profile". It is very rich without being too heavy on the oak or spice, and very smooth. At 90 proof it's a little "hotter" than most 80 proof bourbons, so to do a head to head comparison, it should be cut with a splash of distilled water. A standard 2 oz pour of 90 proof will need about a teaspoon of water to match a 80 proof in alcohol content, allowing you to judge flavors equally. Well worth getting if you see a bottle, but it's hard to find, as the production is not consistent, since they can't just mix up a batch of it. Sometimes he finds several casks from a given run that he thinks are worth putting his name on, and sometimes he goes several runs without finding one. I buy as many as I can afford when they get a case in at spec's and one of the ladies at my local store lets me know when they do :)

Actually, almost all bourbon that is not specifically sold as single cask is blended. To remain a true bourbon, that's fine as long as it is blended with other bourbons. It's only when they start cutting in non aged, or non corn alcohol into the mix that you get "blended whisky". But blending casks of bourbons that are different ages (which changes the alcohol content mostly, among other things) different mash bills (sometimes, but some brand bourbons specify that all constituents be of the same mash bill), and different flavor profiles is what enables a distillery to sell a given brand with a consistent taste year to year. That is what the master distiller does for a living, he figures how many casks of which runs to mix together to get a "finished batch" which is then cut to the desired proof and bottled.

jskeen

One of the Regulars
Whoops, double post deleted.

But while I'm at it. Just a FYI, Jack Daniels and George Dickel specifically do not consider their flagship products "bourbon" and early in their production considered that appelation something of a put down. They are Tennessee whiskeys, produced using a legally regulated charcoal filtration process known as "the Lincoln county process" which they went to the trouble and expense of using because it produced a superior product to SOME of the poorly mixed bourbon from Kentucky that still technically met the legal requirements to be called "Kentucky straight bourbon whiskey".

With modern quality control and production methods there is very very little difference in the actual quality of any distilled spirit. It is simply too easy to monitor, remove and redistill any raw distillate that contains too many impurities or otherwise fails to meet standards. Even bargain basement liquors are of higher "quality" than the fast majority of what was made back in "the good old days" Not to say that some don't taste better than others, and some are pretty universally awful, but for the most part, cheap liquor is made from the same raw ingredients as the good stuff, in the same equipment, and treated the same way, up to a point at which it is determined to be destined for a less expensive brand bottling.

Last edited:

sw709

Familiar Face
I've sampled quite a few bourbons & whiskies in my time, and I have to say that, for the money, Eagle Rare is just a phenomenal dram for the price. My go-to drink almost every night...

Whoops, double post deleted.

But while I'm at it. Just a FYI, Jack Daniels and George Dickel specifically do not consider their flagship products "bourbon" and early in their production considered that appelation something of a put down. They are Tennessee whiskeys, produced using a legally regulated charcoal filtration process known as "the Lincoln county process" which they went to the trouble and expense of using because it produced a superior product to SOME of the poorly mixed bourbon from Kentucky that still technically met the legal requirements to be called "Kentucky straight bourbon whiskey".

With modern quality control and production methods there is very very little difference in the actual quality of any distilled spirit. It is simply too easy to monitor, remove and redistill any raw distillate that contains too many impurities or otherwise fails to meet standards. Even bargain basement liquors are of higher "quality" than the fast majority of what was made back in "the good old days" Not to say that some don't taste better than others, and some are pretty universally awful, but for the most part, cheap liquor is made from the same raw ingredients as the good stuff, in the same equipment, and treated the same way, up to a point at which it is determined to be destined for a less expensive brand bottling.
Dickel is gasoline not Bourbon or Whiskey. :p

harboldlr

New in Town
Jack Daniels is not Bourbon - it is Tennesee whiskey similar but not the same.

From Wikipedia - Whiskey sold as Tennessee whiskey is also defined as bourbon under NAFTA[13] and at least one other international trade agreement,[14] and is required to meet the legal definition of bourbon under Canadian law,[15] but some Tennessee whiskey makers do not label their product as bourbon and insist that it is a different type of whiskey when marketing their product

From Wikipedia - Whiskey sold as Tennessee whiskey is also defined as bourbon under NAFTA[13] and at least one other international trade agreement,[14] and is required to meet the legal definition of bourbon under Canadian law,[15] but some Tennessee whiskey makers do not label their product as bourbon and insist that it is a different type of whiskey when marketing their product

Simply go to Tennessee and tell the distillers they are making bourbon. Quoting NAFTA regulations will not win you any friends there either. In the US only Kentucky makes bourbon. Just like Scotch comes from Scotland and Irish comes from Ireland. You don't have to believe me but if you press this in Kentucky or Tennessee I'd make sure your Obamacare covers Gross Bodily Harm. Don't say i didn't warn you either.

Simply go to Tennessee and tell the distillers they are making bourbon. Quoting NAFTA regulations will not win you any friends there either. In the US only Kentucky makes bourbon. Just like Scotch comes from Scotland and Irish comes from Ireland. You don't have to believe me but if you press this in Kentucky or Tennessee I'd make sure your Obamacare covers Gross Bodily Harm. Don't say i didn't warn you either.

It's like the left Twix and the right Twix.

TOuten2

Familiar Face
I'm surprised I haven't seen my old favorite, Wild Turkey 101 mentioned. I gave up the alcohol years ago due to my inability to make good decisions while consuming. But when I consumed, I preferred Wild Turkey.

Lotsahats

One Too Many
I find Knob Creek to be too hot--far too heavy on he alcohol taste--unless I cut it at about a third with water. Makers is very nice neat; based on what I've read here, I might give Woodford a try; otherwise, I'm headed back to single malts as my sipping beverage of choice.

A

gear-guy

Practically Family
DNO Live around Bourbon country close to ky. and my personal feelings is that I will always pass on Ellijah Craig. A lot of people like it but to me it's neither smooth or tasty. This is just me, but I usually buy it for my brother in law for Christmas as he prefers the "hot" taste.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk