Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bourbon

gear-guy

Practically Family
download (1).jpg

Just bought a Willett pot still reserve. Not bad sippin bourbon, nice flavor with a hint of vanilla and some fruit. Good change of pace.

Duper

Practically Family
Hi, up here in Ontario, Canada I can find Basil Hayden, Makers Mark, Buffalo Trace, Jim Beam Black (6 year old) all at various prices from about $28 to $52. Jim Beam Black is the most economical and Basil Hayden is the most expensive. I am sure there are others but a quick online search of our government regulated outlets has all these in stock close to my home.

Where would you start a first time bourbon drinker so that I get a good first impression? Is there another real winner you might suggest?

Hi, up here in Ontario, Canada I can find Basil Hayden, Makers Mark, Buffalo Trace, Jim Beam Black (6 year old) all at various prices from about $28 to $52. Jim Beam Black is the most economical and Basil Hayden is the most expensive. I am sure there are others but a quick online search of our government regulated outlets has all these in stock close to my home.

Where would you start a first time bourbon drinker so that I get a good first impression? Is there another real winner you might suggest?

Well, judging by those prices, I would say start in the US where it is cheaper and more readily available. :p BevMo has Basil Hayden for $39.
Seriously, don't go with Jim Beam if you don't want a bad first impression. Buffalo Trace wouldn't be bad.

Duper

Practically Family
Well my local "Liquor Control Board of Ontario" has Buffalo Trace at $40 for a 26 oz bottle and I think I will bring one home Friday.

The Ontario government has a terrific monopoly on the sale of beer and spirits. They can only be purchased in their stores.

Duper

Practically Family
I enjoyed the Buffalo Trace on ice last night before bed. It was very flavourful. For my first taste of straight bourbon it did well but being the first again, I cannot compare it to a Jim Beam or a Makers Mark. Better than Crown Royal I had recently and miles above the Jim Beam Red Stag which I thought should have also contained a decongestant.

Thanks for the recommendation!

I enjoyed the Buffalo Trace on ice last night before bed. It was very flavourful. For my first taste of straight bourbon it did well but being the first again, I cannot compare it to a Jim Beam or a Makers Mark. Better than Crown Royal I had recently and miles above the Jim Beam Red Stag which I thought should have also contained a decongestant.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Now try a Jim Beam bourbon and see the difference. :p

cchgn

One of the Regulars
Well my local "Liquor Control Board of Ontario" has Buffalo Trace at $40 for a 26 oz bottle and I think I will bring one home Friday.

The Ontario government has a terrific monopoly on the sale of beer and spirits. They can only be purchased in their stores.

That's ok, some states in our Union do the same. Like in Ohio, they're called State stores.

Btw, having family in Kentucky and spending half my life there, I'm kinda biased to Bourbon. The truth is, Bourbon came from the moonshine industry there. Bourbon is the beautiful child of charred moonshine. In Eastern Ky, they've been charring moonshine( soaking in burnt barrels, giving the 'shine it's amber color and smoothness) for a couple of hundred years. If one truly want to experience the history of Bourbon, sipping some charred moonshine is a good place to start. Another thing, Bourbon( like moonshine) is not meant to be mixed, it's not meant to be quickly shot, it's not meant to be gulped, it's meant to be sipped, just like hot coffee or soup. You sip a bit in( with some air) and let it bath your tastebuds. Taste the sour mash. Swallow. Feel it go down. Breath, taste the sour mash aftertaste. Feel it as it gets you all atingle. That's the Bourbon experience.

Btw, if you can, try some Jim Beam Honey, truly a nice , smooth bourbon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana