Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bow Ties

android

One of the Regulars
Hemingway Jones said:
What about the Boater? That is one difficult hat to pull off.

I think boaters are hard to pull of because most modern boaters are shaped weird and don't fit right. A well proportioned hat that fits your head almost always looks good regardless of the style.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Very true. Also, you have to dress up to suit the boater. It's not a hat you can wear with a polo or T-shirt.

A boater and a nice light colored or dark suit would look nice. I wear boaters from time to time and I always get coments because most people only see the cheap fome ones.

Root.

Renderking Fisk

Practically Family
Bow Tie Tutorial

Timothy J. Steiner AKA "Hemingway" has allowed me to host a version of his Bow Tie tutorial on The Fedora Chronicles.

It's part of a new feature on The Fedora Chronicles I hope to launch in September... "Vintage Threads." I want to host links to all the vendors in Good Standing, essays on why people love Vintage Style, and pictures of people's collections.

Let me know what you think...

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Interesting. It is slightly different from the way I learned to tie one, and from most Internet tutorials. I'll have to try it this way and see how that goes.

Brad

That is interesting. I was taught the same way until you get to the last step. I stuff the bow end behind the bow that is already created by getting a finger through the bow knot and pulling the bow behind the left side.
I will have to try your way because it seems easier and you can see what you are doing better than from behind the bow. ;)
Whatever the case, it looks the same after it is tied and that is all that matters. A quick pull and you have it untied easily. Thanks for the tutorial. :cheers1:

Regards to all,

J

P.S. Interesting jacket for summer. Seersucker?

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
jamespowers said:
That is interesting. I was taught the same way until you get to the last step. ...
Regards to all,

J
P.S. Interesting jacket for summer. Seersucker?
Thanks Brad and thanks James. I am going to try it your way also and see how I like that! The reason I wrote that, and thank you to Ren for being so kind as to host it for me, was to explain the process as simply as possible and make it easy for those who might want to try wearing one, but are entirely intimidated by learning how to tie one.

I don't know about you guys, but isn't it horrible when you are an usher or a best man at someone's wedding and they give you this terrible tux with the inevitable clip-on bowtie?! I always swap it out for an authentic tie one. There is only so much a man can endure!

That suit I am wearing, and it is difficult to tell that it is a suit, is a "Corded Cotton" suit from J. Crew, which looks quite a bit like Seersucker, but is a little heavier and a little less constructed. It is the kind of suit you might want to accessorize with a Fez. It was about $120 for everything, on sale. I kind of like it.

Hemingway Jones said:
I don't know about you guys, but isn't it horrible when you are an usher or a best man at someone's wedding and they give you this terrible tux with the inevitable clip-on bowtie?! I always swap it out for an authentic tie one. There is only so much a man can endure!

That suit I am wearing, and it is difficult to tell that it is a suit, is a "Corded Cotton" suit from J. Crew, which looks quite a bit like Seersucker, but is a little heavier and a little less constructed. It is the kind of suit you might want to accessorize with a Fez. It was about $120 for everything, on sale. I kind of like it.

Yes, I am very familiar with the wedding thing. Those clip ons drive me nuts. At least this last time I got to wear an ascot---clip on though. :cry: An ascot is so easy to tie that I just do not understand why they have the clip ons. Oh well, I do not plan on collecting those. Now bow ties I have at least a dozen or two. My friend has me beat with 48! :eek: I will have to refer him to your tutorial. He still doesn't quite get the bow tie thing yet. ;)
That cotton suit looks a lot like a seersucker. It nearly fooled me. :) The cut reminds me of the old sack suits though so it kind of fooled me. ;) The price was right though. Can you launder it yourself or is it recommended professional cleaning?

Regards to all,

J

P.S. No pictures of me in the wedding dunce outfit. I wouldn't post that for money. :p

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
jamespowers said:
That cotton suit looks a lot like a seersucker. It nearly fooled me. :) The cut reminds me of the old sack suits though so it kind of fooled me. ;) The price was right though. Can you launder it yourself or is it recommended professional cleaning?

Regards to all,J
It says, Dry Clean Only. It would have been great if I could have washed it and ironed it myself. Those suits from the 1980s were like that, but we won't comment on those. This suit has an interesting vintage look to it. I think you are right on with the 'sack suit' appraisal. It is very comforable, but not quite appropriate for the office, except on casual day. I sometimes feel like an extra from "Casablanca" while wearing it, but that is a good thing.

The clip-on ascot is a sad commentary on the state of modern sartorial affairs. What is next, plastic shoes that always look shined? Wait a minute...

Hemingway Jones said:
The clip-on ascot is a sad commentary on the state of modern sartorial affairs. What is next, plastic shoes that always look shined? Wait a minute...

Oh man! You are killing me! :kick: Those damned shoes made my feet hurt for three days after that wedding. The next person who asks me to be int heir wedding is going to have to take me with my own shoes. That is it for me!
First they had shoe strings that looked like they had been through WWII when they gave them to me. I told them change them I am not wearing them that way. :rage: They felt fine in the store but put them on for five or eight hours---dancing and such and geeez! :kick: I can still feel the pain on my big toe. PU! Just shoot me instead thank you. :p

Regards to all,

J

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Bow Ties...which collar is correct?

I have amassed an awesome collection of 1950's bowties, but I'm not sure what type of shirt to wear them with. Obviously, I'm not talking formal wear here--these are real hep cat style two tone and pattern ties that I want to wear to work and out on the town. And yes, they are, *ahem*, clip ons, which doesn't bother me since the styles are so neat! Most of my shirts have standard point collars, and for some reason, they don't look quite right.
Any suggestions??

Braxton36

One of the Regulars
Hmmm...

I'm not sure there's a "correct" answer but I definitely tend toward button-downs for my bow ties.

Btw, I love bow ties in the summer - why it looks cooler I don't know. Madras or seersucker, pale silks... man, I love summer!

ortega76

Practically Family
Braxton36 said:
I'm not sure there's a "correct" answer but I definitely tend toward button-downs for my bow ties.

My only advice is avoid spread collars. Point collars and button-down collars should be good. A slimmer collar for slimmer ties. I was pondering picking up a bowtie or two, but I don't rock that style very well.

daddy-o

One of the Regulars
Hi flat-top. I too have a great collection of late 40´s and 50´s clip on bow ties. I just love the look of a cool bow tie and a gab jacket with some nice gab pants.I agree with you, it gives you a real authentic hepcat look, kinda between casual and formal, for me just right for work. I often wear my bow ties with button down shirts, usually white or pale blue or pale beige, simply coz most of the bow ties tend to have a pattern which goes well together
with a plain shirt. Now having said that a having read the previous comments,I haven´t really seen any photos from the 40s and 50s where a clip on is worn with a button down collar. I would think a longer, pointy and fairly narrow collar would be correct. And I just can´t find shirts like that. I will have a couple made from mytailor.com later on because you can specify exactly what collar you want and you can ask for a tighter vintage cut as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk