Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bows take a bow

Handmade
a822a657a128d263c4be0e2ac866c8dc.jpg

Here are a few of my favorite felt hat ribbons.......they run the gambit ;)
Here is a modern Selentino........it is a coral blue:eek: not the usual dark navy, but I love it and wear it anyway....works great with jeans!;)
20180602_094114.jpg

Next is a Beaver Hats with a sharks gill......this one is on a porkpie that is golden yellow.....again:eek:, but it makes a great convention hat!
20180602_094357.jpg

Then I present a 1950's Borsalino with a felted ribbon......great felt this one.....hard to describe the color of the felt....sort of a taupe-grey......VERY LIGHTWEIGHT!
20180602_093622.jpg

Then.........and I really, really wish this hat fit me.....a 50's Stetson with a modified? Sharks gill......not sure what to call this unique bow......hat color is a unique taupe-tan with the bow and trolley a TRUE blue-black! Takes two pictures to show this to best effect......
20180602_093436.jpg

20180602_093456.jpg

And now, from a ?20's? Black velour Kingsbury.......those wide bows are soooooo cool!
20180602_093753.jpg

And from one of my favorite Stetson Western hats.....the six cord with it's original sterling steer-head pin from a simply awsome early 50's 3X Stetson Longhorn model hat......wonderfull, almost heathered, silver-grey felt!
20171009_143702.jpg

And FINNALLY.......who could NOT like a campaign bow......this one from a fur felt 1889 army.
15279524130481196859678.jpg
15279524928711530249787.jpg

I hope you enjoyed the trip through my collection of some of my favorite felt hat bows!;)
M:)

Last edited:

IsaacRN

One of the Regulars
I tried a search, but couldn’t find anything specific. I was wondering if there is a thread that shows off some of the ribbon work in hats? I have another custom coming up, and need some bow suggestions. Not really a fan of gills.

pairrothead01

Familiar Face
New to the lounge....and was directed to this thread to learn more about bows......that being said I may be stating something already done or thought of.
Something like this screams poster ....for those that want to show this in a space....but do not have.
If there was ever a thought of having a pro photographer getting some good hi-res pics that would look good poster size. I for one would purchase.

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk

New to the lounge....and was directed to this thread to learn more about bows......that being said I may be stating something already done or thought of.
Something like this screams poster ....for those that want to show this in a space....but do not have.
If there was ever a thought of having a pro photographer getting some good hi-res pics that would look good poster size. I for one would purchase.

I’m glad that you are enthusiastic about the subject. There are indeed a lot of styles and types of bows.

What you are looking for is really outside of what normally happens here on the Lounge. Individuals from all over the world share knowledge, appreciation, and photos of hats. If you wanted to put something together to showcase bows that would be great, but I’m not certain that throwing out the suggestion that someone else do it is going to get any traction. Getting professional photos at several dozens of member’s homes just doesn’t seem workable. You might have to settle with putting in a lot of hours and getting screen shots and cataloging them on your own; many of us do this.

Merry Christmas!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’m glad that you are enthusiastic about the subject. There are indeed a lot of styles and types of bows.

What you are looking for is really outside of what normally happens here on the Lounge. Individuals from all over the world share knowledge, appreciation, and photos of hats. If you wanted to put something together to showcase bows that would be great, but I’m not certain that throwing out the suggestion that someone else do it is going to get any traction. Getting professional photos at several dozens of member’s homes just doesn’t seem workable. You might have to settle with putting in a lot of hours and getting screen shots and cataloging them on your own; many of us do this.

Merry Christmas!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
A poster is probably not practical, but you could have a hatter taking a shot at recreating the bow style examples Steve and Daniele encountered at the Ghifa hat museum.
33164311270_22c9af0f9c_h.jpg
33164312270_f87fd8dfc3_h.jpg
33390980872_5c16c1a878_h.jpg
33507040816_a76defe79a_h.jpg
33548106265_70f1bbee33_h.jpg

pairrothead01

Familiar Face
Thank you all for the responses.
I acknowledge there is a lot of knowledge here in the lounge.....I also appreciate the suggestion on finding the info I seek as an action on my part.....being a process improvement analyst myself that should have been my goto.
Defining my custom hat wants....what bow style to use came up....I saw a lot of pics but few names.....that was my interests.
I'll take that on as I get more info from the various threads in the lounge forums.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ