Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bracers in the early 20th century?

Tommy Gun Jack

New in Town
Hello all,

I hope this is the proper place to ask this question. I was just watching the modern re-make of the Mummy with Brendan Frazer, and I noticed that he is wearing a single bracer on his right wrist. A basic google search of his character's name "Rick O'Connell" will produce images of said bracer.

Now there are two things I've learned from my years of re-enacting different periods.

1) Bracers were not used nearly as much as everybody seems to think. Throughout the middle ages, you usually only see bracers in the form of a single unit on an archer's bow hand. Greek hoplites did not use bracers as is commonly depicted in our day.

2) Always take what Hollywood tells you with a grain of salt.

I have seen other modern depictions of adventurers wearing a bracer on one or both wrists, but I haven't seen any period photographs showing this. Does anybody know if bracers were used while shooting in the 1930s or prior? And if so, why? A bracer may stop the bowstring from slapping the archer's wrist when he looses his arrow, but how does it help when shooting a pistol or rifle? and if they were used, would it be a buckle and strap closure or would it be laced up?

Thanks in advance.

Edward

Bartender
I'd be interested in an answer to your questions myself.

Of course, in the film it's for purely dramatic purposes: as I recall, at some point he removes it to show a mystery tattoo that he can't remember getting, which has some significance to the plot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider