Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BRACES (SUSPENDERS)

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I don't know if this is period correct, but simply from an asthetic standpoint, i think it looks smashing to have the suspenders have color. Thus, when yoy remove the jacket, a flash of color. It kinda livens things up. While you're rebelling against the uniformity of modern men's clothing, you might as well go all out, under some basic guidelines. I agree with Mr Matt Deckard, that red (or burgandy) and brown are a great color combintation, but navy in black looks like it's not put together right. Black on black looks more like formal style, but if you had a black suit with a black suspender with a red stripe, or something of the like, it makes a statement. But as I said before, this is purely from an asthetic point of view and not a knowledge of the period.

Lauren

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
OpenRoad4-vi.jpg

LuckyLighter

Familiar Face
OK...for the sake of argument, let's say the suit I'm wearing in this picture, what color suspenders would I be able to get away with? Burgundy or black? Or another color?

By the way...I'm the young guy on the right. :)

up196

A-List Customer
My opinion and ny opinion only . . .

I would think burgandy or navy blue in a medium width, or as mentioned, a striped version with those as the main colors. I would also wear the leather tab "Y-back" design, as clip-on "X-backs" remind me of leftovers from a prom rental tuxedo. I tend to stay away from black, especially narrow black, for the same reason.

Gershomite

New in Town
This is not period specific, just how I choose suspenders for daily wear.

Although there is a preference for black trousers/white shirt in my circles, with accessories to match, I would tend to agree with Matt about coordinating suspenders. When I am out and about sans tie, my suspenders will generally match or compliment my slacks, meaning they are either black or somewhere between charcoal and medium grey in color. When I am wearing a tie, I try to choose a pair that compliment the tie and the suit, often a shade somewhere between that of the tie and that of the suit. It seems to 'soften' the differences in color a bit, while tying the whole look together.

As Lauren points out, suspenders can add something to the stark expanse of shirt when one's jacket is removed. Color is not the only variable; material, texture, and width can make imporatant differences as well.

As an aside, I have started having my tailor place the suspender buttons on the upper third of the inside of the waistband of my trousers to help avoid the waistband 'rollover' that sometimes occurs when wearing suspenders.

My avatar features rather tasteless clip-ons that I had to employ with the required company issue uniform trousers...they did not allow the buttons to be sewn in. There is now a manufacturer of clip-on suspenders that have a 'Y' back, and the look of classic button stayed suspenders.

Double-Ups

Gersh

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Gersh,

Does that mean that your buttons are sewn higher on the waist than normal? Just wondering, as I get the dreaded rollover on several of my trousers, and any suggestions to avoid it are great. My solution is to not remove my jacket.

Brad

Gershomite

New in Town
Brad.

I know exactly what you mean, it was driving me crazy. Yes, the buttons are sewn higher up in the waistband, somewhere in the upper third, just low enough not to be seen. I have tried this with three sets of trousers and it helps tremendously by redistributing more of the pull along the top of the waistband, rather than the middle of the inside. Now I no longer have to waste time constantly pulling the edge of the waistband back into its proper place. And I can take my jacket off more often.

:)

Gersh

Canadave

One Too Many
Originally posted by LuckyLighter
OK...for the sake of argument, let's say the suit I'm wearing in this picture, what color suspenders would I be able to get away with? Burgundy or black? Or another color?

By the way...I'm the young guy on the right. :)

The possibilities are endless, young fella.

I would go for a stripe, or something other than solid. Remember, as others have said...they don't have to match, they just shouldn't clash! It's hard to recommend exact colours, based on this pic and my monitor, but pick your suspenders like you pick your tie. Look for some with colours that "go" with what else you're wearing. Don't attempt to match them exactly with your tie, for example.

And oh yeah, unless you absolutely cannot have buttons sewn in (like Gersh's "uniform" pants)...ya gotta avoid the clip-ons!

David

Gershomite

New in Town
Agree completely about the clip-ons, Dave, I was placed in that unfortunate position by a temporary layoff from the marine construction outfit where I had been working. I knew I was not going to there long enough to justify the purchase of pants in which I could place buttons during a layoff, so I just clipped one on.

There is an outfit that now makes suspenders buttons that are easily attachable/detachable
Brace Tacs
They sound like the perfect solution to such a problem.

Gersh

Canadave

One Too Many
Originally posted by Gershomite
...There is an outfit that now makes suspenders buttons that are easily attachable/detachable
Brace Tacs

THEY look like an accident waiting to happen! :eek:

In my experience, any store that alters pants (cuffs, waist size etc.) will install suspender buttons at either no charge if you bought the pants there, or for very little. Even most dry cleaners can do it.

David

Wild Root

Gone Home
Ah, suspenders! Well, I only buy vintage ones when they are new in the box or, in good slightly used condition. The colors, styles and quality just stand apart from the typical brace of today. Most of the vintage braces I own from the 30’s or 40’s are rather narrow. The wider styles were used in construction or other utility related jobs. For a wile, I was using white, or cram colored braces. They looked way more period in many respects. In the 30’s and 40’s, suspenders wouldn’t be exposed all that often in public places. Men wore vests and kept their coats buttoned most of the time. So, suspenders were more of an under garment accessory. I have braces that are striped, solid and patterned. I’ll have to post some photos of the ones in my collection.

I like the cream color braces because you can wear any color of tie or suit with them! It kind of matches the shirt and looks very classy.

Here is a page out of a Sears catalog that picture some braces for sell. Note the different types of suspenders there were! Very cool designs! I wish they were still this creative today.

Root.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
You have me in suspense-ders

According to Alan Flusser (author of Style and the Man), and quouted from his other reference on men's clothing "Dressing the Man":

Exposed braces were a source of embarrassment for men in mixed company...A belt can never match the suspender in allowng the pleated trouser to fulfill its aesthetic function....a belt should never be worn with braces....the finest quality braces are made of rayon...Since braces share the same vertical plane as the tie, these two elements are coordinated first, followed by the dress shirt and trouser...the experienced dresser will use the brace's color or pattern to frame the ensemble's compostion....Solid or striped braces afford more versatility than a patterened pair.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Very good! I was going to mention that a belt should never be worn with braces! It's one or the other! Glad you did.

I feel much the same when it comes to braces and ties. I try to pick out ites that have the same colors in them as the braces do.

Good stuff Andy!

Root.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I agree about not wearing a belt with suspenders ( to our friends in the UK: I don't wear women's lingerie, I mean braces). As a comedian said that's someone who really doesn't trust their trousers.
I don't mind the suspenders peeking out a little from my vest's armholes but I don't like them fully in view in public. Then again I still prefer wearing a swim suit with a top. I don't know if it's modesty or what. Does anyone else wear their long johns in the shower?

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Speaking of suspenders ...

Are eBay prices finally going down on vintage suspenders? For the longest time, they went for high $$$. (Sock garters often still do.)

I just won this pair. They're dead stock, late 1930s. With navy blue leather tabs: an unusual color. How come no one else bid on them? Was it luck...or waning interest?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NOS-Vintage-Par...goryZ957QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Siirous

One of the Regulars
Suspender questions

I just recently attended a wedding and the rental tux had clip-on suspenders that I thought looked excellent and got a lot of compliments on by the time I hit the dance floor with my coat/vest off and shirt sleeves rolled up.

I want to buy a pair of nice suspenders but I read elsewhere on here to avoid clip-ons and the more I looked I saw button on suspenders. However, none of my pants have suspender buttons. I found one site that had suspender buttons to add on, and they were on the outside of the pants.

Do suspenders typically clip to the inside or outside of the waist?

Is it easy to sew on nice buttons to a pair of slacks?

What brands of pants typically have suspender buttons? I've not seen them in stores really.

Thanks!
Rob

Archie Goodwin

One of the Regulars
Most of the suits I buy have suspender butons in them. For those that do not, my tailor will usually add them for free when hemming the trousers. All of the suspenders I own use butttons. I am not a tailor, but I have found the button ones allow the pants to hang better. Also, all of the professional clothing people I have ever spoken to can and will deliver sermons on the evils of clip ons. I think it should be pretty inexpensive to have buttons added to trousers, given that my tailor adds them for free whether I ask her to or not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk