Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BRACES (SUSPENDERS)

resortes805 said:
ivorywhip.jpg

bluewithtanwhip.jpg

bluewhip.jpg

Are these vintage President brand? They look just like the ad I have at home. How do they perform?

Regards,

J

I don't mean to get in this argument again but for functionality and wearability, I prefer silk to boxcloth--especially in summer. That boxcloth stuff can get hot under even a Palm Beach suit---not to mention what it will do to a nice heavy starch shirt.
Some people also cannot wear wool that close to their skin. Sweating while wearing it just makes it worse. I just wanted to warn those who have that problem. :D
Also, Trafalgar plain silks can be had for not much more than the boxcloths.

Regards,

J

P.S. Vintage shirt has some pretty good offerings for the price from what I see on their site. :cheers1:

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
jamespowers said:
Are these vintage President brand? They look just like the ad I have at home. How do they perform?

Regards,

J

I honestly don't know what brand they are, but I have seen the ads you speak of. With the exception of the navy blue pair, the elasticity has almostly completely worn out on these particular suspenders, with the exception of the cords themselves, which are still as snappy as a bungee!

resortes805 said:
I honestly don't know what brand they are, but I have seen the ads you speak of. With the exception of the navy blue pair, the elasticity has almostly completely worn out on these particular suspenders, with the exception of the cords themselves, which are still as snappy as a bungee!

Whatever the case, they are a great couple of pairs. The blue one is my favorite. :eusa_clap

Regards,

J

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I have to make it to my friendly local surplus store.

I have a friend who works there who tells me they have an entire crate load of '60's issue swedish military suspenders. They don't put 'em on display because no one buys them, so you have to know they're there and know to ask.

we'll see what they have.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
I Thought I'd revive this thread with some photos of vintage suspenders with interesting back detail (set upon the backdrop of the ol '46)

whitebraces.jpg

PICT0009-4.jpg

PICT0012-4.jpg

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Orgetorix said:
I'm not having much luck imagining how that arrangement would be any better for action than the common Y-back setup. Can you explain?

I've never understood it myself. Probably just a claim made by the manufacturers, with no real proof behind it. Sounded nifty, though.

Then as now, gimmickry and gadgetry were tools of the apparel industry.

Orgetorix said:
I'm not having much luck imagining how that arrangement would be any better for action than the common Y-back setup. Can you explain?

Supposedly the y had no flex or give and that contributes to the suspenders sliding off your shoulder. They are sewn to each other with no adjustments. I can see that with the suspenders pictured with the adjustable back yolk. You can place the Y further up on your back and lessen the tendency for the suspender to slide off your shoulder. Kind of an adjustable cinch.
The blue pair with the leather doesn't adjust so I don't know how it would make it better but the white pair and green striped pair does. I could use a white pair like that. ;) :D

Regards,

J

Feraud

Bartender
Just picked up these suspenders. The material is black elastic including the ends.
Would these be worn exclusively with a tuxedo or acceptable without?
The suspenders are a bit too short for me and I am considering replacing the elastic with something longer.
DSC02177.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Feraud said:
Would these be worn exclusively with a tuxedo or acceptable without?
I wouldn't consider them for formal use. Braided or leather ends would be more appropriate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points