Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BRACES (SUSPENDERS)

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
resortes805 said:
Go for it!

Gone for!

Albert Thurston from the Vintage Shirt Company.

br701.jpg

Down girls!!!

Alan

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
Here's a pair of braces that I sold recently.

They were deadstock (never worn) -- and were made specifically for the 1939 New York World's Fair. See the trylon and perisphere patterns?

AuctionsJune2007095.jpg
AuctionsJune2007102.jpg

AuctionsJune2007104.jpg

With your love of Worlds Fair ephemera I was surprised you sold thenm they bein' dead stock and all....

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
The thing is, I don't like to hold onto clothes that I can't use. Those 1939 NYWF suspenders, while terrific-looking, were not of the highest quality -- they were made to be a souvenir, after all. The moment that I'd wear them, the elasticity would have begun to stretch out ... and eventually break. The suspenders would have lost practically all their monetary value.

I was very happy to instead sell them off for several hundred bucks :)

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
Here are some modern versions of traditional boxcloth braces, made by Albert Thurston:

Picture327.jpg

Note the lambskin and catgut ends. This particular variety is no longer made.

They are slightly wider than vintage Thurston braces and the treatment of the back portion is slightly different (vintage versions had a strip of catgut in place of the D-ring) - see here by comparison:

http://uk.geocities.com/anthony_hugh_jordan/Thurston_braces.html

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
TM Lewin's in the UK have a sale on...

Half price braces/suspenders, making them £12, which is very good. But...and here's the big BUT...they are dark blue with either white or yellow spots. That's not very vintage is it? but a great buy and great quality.

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
PADDY said:
Half price braces/suspenders, making them £12, which is very good. But...and here's the big BUT...they are dark blue with either white or yellow spots. That's not very vintage is it? but a great buy and great quality.

I don't know, I think it could work. Plus they will probably be made by Thurston's - another bonus. Inter alia, it is worth noting that some braces are made with the sort of silk used for tie-making. If you are looking for braces to wear regularly, I would strongly suggest avoiding this kind as I have found from experience that they will not stand up to more than about 50 wears before starting to fray. I always recommend barathea braces for warmer wear and boxcloth for colder - Thurston's make both, in a wide range of colours.

Aerospeed

New in Town
Having never used braces, I'm at a loss as to how to afix them to the trousers. It seems like buttons would be called for but I haven't a single pair with buttons...(pardon my youth;) ...are they added by a tailor or do the trousers come with them.

Best regards,
jim

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
Vintage trousers generally do; modern trousers rarely. Here in the UK, some of the more traditional outfitters supply trousers with braces buttons. Otherwise you sew them on yourself. In fact you'll find that braces supplied by Thurston's (for example) tend to come with a set of buttons for affixing. Of course, there's also clip-on braces, but I'd rather not discuss those...;)

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Anthony Jordan said:
Vintage trousers generally do; modern trousers rarely. Here in the UK, some of the more traditional outfitters supply trousers with braces buttons. Otherwise you sew them on yourself. In fact you'll find that braces supplied by Thurston's (for example) tend to come with a set of buttons for affixing. Of course, there's also clip-on braces, but I'd rather not discuss those...;)

Quite right, too. Buttons it has to be. The issue is...inside or outside of the trouser waistband?

Alan

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
I'm neutral on the matter, but I note that most of my older trousers appear to have them on the outside whilst trousers I have had made have chosen to put them on the inside.

Braces

New in Town
Suspender buttons

Most suspenders (braces), i.e. Thurston, Trafalgar, etc., come with a set of 6 buttons. Good luck! I am sure the positioning of buttons has been discussed previously, a search on suspender buttons should prove fruitful.

carter

I'll Lock Up
The Men's Wearhouse sells a good variety of braces with the buttons. You should also be abled to find them in the Men's Department in a good top-tier department store as well as most men's clothing retailers that carry suits, sportcoats, and other apparel items (i.e. Jos. A. banks or Brook's Bros).

carter

I'll Lock Up
The last time I was in the Men's Warehouse, I paid $34.99-39.99 a pair for figured 100% silk braces. I also purchased a solid khaki-colored pair made in the Dominican Republic for $24.99.

I hope this helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points