Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bradford Ltd. - a mystery? Where are the Bradford hats?

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Hello folks,

I recieved an Open Road clone made by Bradford Ltd. The only reference I could fin on the company was, that it was purchased by Resistol at some stage. Resistol still does use the brand name.

Do we have some more examples of pre Resistol Bradford hats? Is there more information that we can collect in this thread?

Here are some pics of my litle find:

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
All I can find is that the brand name dates to Dec. 1, 1953. Koracorp got Resistol in 1970, and eventually registered the name in 1975/76. Byer-Rolnick never got around to registering the Bradford name. So, Resistol acquired the brand sometime between '53 and '70, or else I suppose its possible they created it.

Brad

rlk

I'll Lock Up
There was an early company in St. Louis--Rainwater-Bradford Hat Co. The sweatband Beaver description looks exactly like my 100% Beaver Lion Hat (Gauss-Langenburg Hat Co. St. Louis). Perhaps there was a connection at some point.
3789099559_5feeffcd9c.jpg
3607317373_e61eb5bb21.jpg

1631.png

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Brad Bowers said:
All I can find is that the brand name dates to Dec. 1, 1953. Koracorp got Resistol in 1970, and eventually registered the name in 1975/76. Byer-Rolnick never got around to registering the Bradford name. So, Resistol acquired the brand sometime between '53 and '70, or else I suppose its possible they created it.

Brad

Great! So, at least we have some rough time frame. The sweatband of the hat claims it is made of pure beaver. Suppose this is true and no mark up, at what time in the last century could one buy such a hat for 15 USD? Are we in the 50ies? How much was a Stetson Clear Beaver at that time?

Could the price indicate other maker´s hats were sold cheaper under the Bradford label, in case they did not produce, themselves? If they had their own production, did they only sell locally in Texas?

Current Bradford hats are marketed as "Bradford by Resistol" on the box of above hat we find "Bradford Ltd.". Guess that is from the time being an independent company. Was Resistol a shareholder or competitor at the time? At least we know, they were taken over.

Dreispitz

One Too Many
rlk said:
There was an early company in St. Louis--Rainwater-Bradford Hat Co. The sweatband Beaver description looks exactly like my 100% Beaver Lion Hat (Gauss-Langenburg Hat Co. St. Louis). Perhaps there was a connection at some point.
3789010157_fdc546422a.jpg

The inscription is really similar! Certainly more than just a coincidence. Maybe, we find more missing links. Your hat looks similar, too. I will take some more pictures at daylight.

I googled for Bradford hats. Someone was looking for some reference on a Bradford 35 Beaver hat. So, they appear to likely have had a siliar line of quality destinations as other makers.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Dreispitz said:

I saved these photos from an auction that ended a while ago. It looks to have exactly the same marking on the sweat as your hat.

We know that Beaver, Langenberg, and Lion are all the same company. Apparently, Bradford was either part of the company, or bought hats from it.

beaver7x2.jpg

beaver7x3.jpg
beaver7x.jpg

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Lefty said:
I saved these photos from an auction that ended a while ago. It looks to have exactly the same marking on the sweat as your hat.

We know that Beaver, Langenberg, and Lion are all the same company. Apparently, Bradford was either part of the company, or bought hats from it.

There was a family tree on the site www.beaverbrandhats.com but that site is not currently functioning.

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Rlk, Lefty,

your posts are very enlightening! Could be another Beaver Hats etc. hat though. Inside the hat Bradford is nowhere indicated as a maker, by the way. The only reason The seller and I supposed it was made by Bradford is the box it came in. It can be original, but not necessarily.

Could you compare the interior details with your hats? The stitching on Lefty´s Beaver Hats sweatband is pretty identical. Maybe, we find more similarities.

Cheers

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Dreispitz said:
Rlk, Lefty,

Could you compare the interior details with your hats? The stitching on Lefty´s Beaver Hats sweatband is pretty identical. Maybe, we find more similarities.

Cheers

brad3.jpg
3791570946_d9475bdf17_b.jpg

I had to change out the sweatband, so this was an earlier photo. It did have the onion-skin beneath the sweatband like yours as well as similar size tag and location and bow. Seam in liner is also in the same unusual position to the side at Beaver info on sweat. Looks the same other than the Lion Hats logo in the center clear window.

Hibbs and Hannon owners:http://www.enidnews.com/anniversaries/local_story_025225342.html

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Rlk,

also the writing on the sweatband is at the same place relative to the fold. A very distinctive feature. Too many similarities for not to say it is the same manufacturer, no?

So, what company was the principal maker of the various brands that were mentioned, within this context? This should be our candidate regardless of the individual or custom brand names.

The 15 USD price destination (tag is from Hibbs & Hannon, that rules out the option of it being a secondary market label) for a pure beaver hat is still an issue for, i.e dating. I think we are no longer bound within the Bradford time frames, for the box with the Bradford Ltd. name on might be mearly accidetal.

Dreispitz

One Too Many
rlk said:

Here is the qoutation from the above Website:

"As one of the longest renowned names in US headwear, Beaver Brand Hats® takes pride in the flexibility and customization we have been offering our loyal domestic and international customers since 1860. The key focus of Beaver Brand Hats® is our customer. The ability to customize any individual request with the flexibility to combine any of our 35-crown shapes with any of our 24-brim shapes is what sets us apart. In 1860, the Beaver Brand line of hats was established in St. Louis, Missouri, the fur capital of America. The Beaver Brand name has endured as a respected part of the hat industry. New Haven, Missouri, has been the home of one of America's best and most experienced hat production lines since 1928. Second and Third generation hat-makers provide customers with some of the finest felt hats available today. While many companies are moving their production line to foreign soil, Beaver Brand Hats continues its proud heritage of using USA craftsmanship since 1860. Beaver Brand Hats started out its origins as the Langenberg Hat Company. Below is a detailed account of its beginnings. Outline of Dates January 1, 1860 - Langenberg Hat Company founded under the name of Gauss, Hunicke & Krausse. 1863 - Mr. Krausse sold his interest account of failing health and name changed to Gauss-Hunicke & Company. 1881 - Incorporated as Gauss-Hunicke Hat Company. 1885 - Mr. Hunicke retired and corporation name changed to Gauss-Shelton Hat Company. 1901 - Corporation name changed to Gauss-Langenberg Hat Company. 1919 - Name changed to Langenberg Hat Company. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- White-Branch Hat Company 1883 - Goodbar-White & Company moved to St. Louis from Nashville, Tennesee. 1892 - Name changed to White-Branch & McConkin. 1898 - Firm was incorporated as White-Branch McConkin Hat Company. 1901 - Name changed to White-Branch-McConkin-Shelton Hat Company. 1910 - Name changed to White-Branch-Shelton Hat Company. 1922 - Became associated with Langenberg Hat Company and became known as White-Branch Hat Company. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Parrotte-McIntyre & Co. 1854 (?)- King Bros. established a partnership in Chicago. 1890 - W. L. Parrotte, C. J. Andrews, G.B. Scripps and H.W. Beals incorporated as Parrotte, Andrews & Co., Inc., and succeeded to the business of King Brothers. 1895 - Name changed to Taylor & Parrotte, Inc. 1904 - Name changed to Parrotte, Beals & Co., Inc. 1914 - Name changed to Parrotte, McIntyre & Co., Inc. 1926 - Became associated with Langenberg Hat Company. What do the X’s mean? Beaver Brand Hats has taken the stance of not using X rating to excess. Since there is not an industry standard for quality ratings, each hat company can rate there products as they see fit. This is why you will find 100X, 1000X or more from other hat manufacturers. At one point in time, X’s were related to the 100% of beaver fur used in the hat body. But the underlying question is how can anything have more than 100% of anything in its makeup? Our hats start with a preparatory blend of fur. As we increase our X rating, we use higher quality blends and trim in addition to extended finishes techniques to obtain the different quality touch and feel. Western and Outback X’s Currently, Beaver Brand Hats offers 100% fur felt starting at our 5X Outback and continues through our 20X Western hats; and all are a smooth finish. Dress Finishes Beaver Brand Hats offers no less than eight (8) finishes, with seven (7) of them made of 100% fur felt, in our Dress Hat category. Peluche: Worked by hand, our Peluche finish is our longest nap finish we offer. The nap is left long and left uncombed. Grand Beaver: Our Grand Beaver finish begins with the nap left long and combed horizontally in a counter-clock direction. Velour: Our Velour finish is probably the most enhancing appeal to the sense of touch because of the deep lustrous nap, similar to fine velvet. Suede: When finished, the hat has the look and feel of suede or short velour; it is shorter than our Velour finish but longer than our Smooth finishes. Silk: Our Silk finish is worked extensively by hand in such a way to give a high luster in a swirling rotation. Heritage: Our “top self” smooth finish sanded to an exquisite finish. Legacy: Our mid-level smooth finish sanded to be considered the industry standard. Classic: As its name indicates, this fur blend and smooth finish has survived the test of time. Basic: Our opening price point in wool. Beaver Brand Hats offers customization, flexibility and adaptability, three words not used by many manufacturers in the headwear industry. Beaver Brand Hats wants to be your headwear supplier. We can meet your headwear needs. Beaver Brand Hats offers over 30 different crown styles, over 12 different brim shapes and an endless number of trim options. Beaver Brand Hats presented on this website are a sampling of some of the styles that Beaver Brand Hats has proven to be popular throughout the industry. As you might guess, it is not possible to show you all of Beaver Brand Hats options on this website. Therefore, we encourage you to use your creativity to combine these options into the custom look that best suits you. All Beaver Brand Hats are custom manufactureed, and we take extra pride in our 20x line. We start by specifying superior quality raw material that includes 20% beaver fur, adding to the durability and longevity of the Beaver Brand Hat. All 20x Beaver Brand Hats are hand finished. Each hat includes a rich black satin lining with a Beaver Brand Hats color log tip, a 2 inch roan leather sweatband, trimmed with a self band and your choice of two buckle sets. Each Beaver Brand Hat is carefully packaged in an individual color logo box. Add your choice of crown shape and brim style with our attention to detail, and you are sure to agree that this is the best value on the market.

Since 1860, Beaver Brand Hats have been the pride of cowboys on the plains, in the mountains and around campfires. From the oldest manufacturer of hats in America, you can still own the Beaver Brand hat that has covered more miles and men thany any other. In the old West, Beaver Brand Hats was a symbol of pride. It kept off the sun and rain, fanned a fire and carried water. The very best also carried the Beaver Brand. For over 148 years that unique quality and history of Beaver Brand Hats has been carefully handcrafted into each Beaver Brand Hat from start to finish using only the finest felts and blends. Now, in styles to suit every taste, Beaver Brand Hats remains unmatched in excellence and value." And so on ... :)

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
In the 1960s, they also were co-owners of Hibbs and Hannon Western Store, where she worked. She is a homemaker.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
The above has taken from Oklahoma newspaper that has an announcement of their 50th wedding anniversary.(Hannon)

Dreispitz

One Too Many
carouselvic said:
In the 1960s, they also were co-owners of Hibbs and Hannon Western Store, where she worked. She is a homemaker.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
The above has taken from Oklahoma newspaper that has an announcement of their 50th wedding anniversary.(Hannon)

Incredible, what one can find on the internet. I like the quail hunting thing. :)

sasto1967

New in Town
Here is another Bradford Ltd. No info other than purchased in San Antonio region recently and original seller in
IMG_2032.JPG
IMG_2035.JPG
IMG_2036.JPG
IMG_2037.JPG
IMG_2039.JPG
Pleasanton is just south of San Antonio.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Haven't worn this one in quite a while. I bought it from fellow Lounger, kingrat. Very nice hat. I reblocked and reshaped the crown and I reshaped the brim as well. '50s Bradford "7X Quality", whatever that means in the world of Bradford. It would be nice if it meant, 7XCB. The sweat is cooked and will have to be replaced. Anyway, what is "7X Quality" in Bradford terms?

Bradford_Westerner_7_X_2.jpg

Hat still drying
Bradford_7_X_1.jpg

Bradford_7_X_2.jpg

Bradford_7_X_1_sweat.jpg

More from Johnny Cash! The Sun years...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto