Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Briefcase Style

poetman

A-List Customer
I'm looking for some forum feedback on two briefcase styles: the flapover and the top frame/Gladstone. Is one style considered more vintage, or classier, than the other? Also, for those who have used the Gladstone style, what are your thoughts on it. I've only used the flapover style but need something new and have been interested in the Gladstone, thinking it will hold more contents without looking overstuffed.

Flap
traditional_bridle_hide_briefcase_tan_web_1.jpg

Gladstone
frame_case_tan_web.jpg

Last edited:
I have used both. I think the flap over is a little more sophisticated looking, especially if it is a softer less structured leather. However the top frame is much easier to use. The contents are right there easily accessible whereas the flap over requires much more digging.

kaiser

A-List Customer
I have had both and prefer the flap over. Simple closure mechanism on the flap over in most cases which adds to overall robustness. Period correctness ? I think both types have been around for a long time, so it is a matter of personal choice.

poetman

A-List Customer
I'm looking for a vintage one, so I won't be able to test it beforehand, but am I right in assuming that the top frame style is probably heavier given its frame? I'm afraid the Gladstone will look more like a suitcase; I suppose dimensions are important with that one.

Last edited:

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I'm looking for a vintage one, so I won't be able to test it beforehand, but am I right in assuming that the top frame style is probably heavier given its frame? I'm afraid the Gladstone will look more like a suitcase; I suppose dimensions are important with that one.
I have a vintage lawyer's briefcase which looks like your Gladstone style, and it isn't really lightweight. But it is sturdy.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
My preference would be The Gladstone, I had a black one for school instead of a satchel, and I still have it, although quite where it is, memory does not serve me well.
My working life started round about the time that the James Bond movies were becoming a hit. The attache brief case in: "From Russia With Love," had all the Bond gizmos, and every wannabe Bond had to have an attache case. Then some bright spark in marketing came out with the ultimate Bond briefcase:
briefcase 2.png

I too, had an attache case that was a Christmas present from my wife, after the Bond briefcase, I quietly retired mine, digging out my old school Gladstone. If you remember the briefcase then you will probably remember the bullet hole transfers that the wannabies stuck on their cars.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Does it appear/feel like you're carrying a suitcase when it's full?
Don't know about the appearance, and in any case I don't really fill it to capacity. But I'm aware that I'm carrying a briefcase for sure.

I use it to tote manuscripts to and from my once-a-week writer's group, and the dividers inside come in handy to separate manuscripts for this week from ones for the future, etc. Since its predecessor was a big plastic bag, it's a definite improvement. (And one lady in my group told me she thought it a very "masculine" case.)

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
My venerable old Eddie Bauer bag from 1994 or so:

EB_Briefcase_02.jpg EB_Briefcase_01.jpg

Purchased at one of their local stores for about $120, I think. They offered a leather-trimmed canvas model for about $30 less, but I'm glad I went with this beast. It holds checkbook, phone, current book, pens, hairbrush, pillbox, flash drives, compact umbrella, and more. It's seen snow, rain, hot sun, and having cats sit on it (now and then I have to clean feathery tufts of white Siberian cat fur off the shoulder strap). The only repairs have been the metal fasteners for that strap. Local shoe repair shops didn't have the parts, but once I ordered some hardware from The Buckle Guy online, one shop was able to refurbish the strap. The little top handle is starting to crack, but it has years left in it, as I don't grip the bag there very often.

Sure, I thought of getting one of those lovely Saddleback units, but the price deterred me -- especially as this one does everything I need at a cost since 1994 of less than $10 a year.

Last edited:
My venerable old Eddie Bauer bag from 1994 or so:

View attachment 74846 View attachment 74847

Purchased at one of their local stores for about $120, I think. They offered a leather-trimmed canvas model for about $30 less, but I'm glad I went with this beast. It holds checkbook, phone, current book, pens, hairbrush, pillbox, flash drives, compact umbrella, and more. It's seen snow, rain, hot sun, and having cats sit on it (now and then I have to clean feathery tufts of white Siberian cat fur off the shoulder strap). The only repairs have been the metal fasteners for that strap. Local shoe repair shops didn't have the parts, but once I ordered some hardware from The Buckle Guy online, one shop was able to refurbish the strap. The little top handle is starting to crack, but it has years left in it, as I don't grip the bag there very often.

Sure, I thought of getting one of those lovely Saddleback units, but the price deterred me -- especially as this one does everything I need at a cost since 1994 of less than $10 a year.

Yep; I just retired my Eddie Bauer bag - a leather one about the same vintage as yours. I loved that bag but it finally gave up the ghost. Like you I had replaced the strap swivels and done a few other repairs but the leather finally wore through in several places and there just wasn't enough left to sew together any more. Found my Saddleback on the bay; not cheap, but sure not retail!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112