Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

British leather jackets from BEFORE the 1950s?

himelator

Vendor
pipvh said:
Thanks for joining the discussion, Dave.

I think in the UK, suedette means a thick-ish cotton or rayon fabric with a sort of suede-like, almost slubby texture. We seem to like adding '-ette' to our faux fabrics - as in leatherette. A bit of spurious French legitimacy? I had a suedette jacket once: it had a really nice heavy rayon-ish handle.

thats weird..there was a product that shows up here that was a leather that was "washable" suede that I had seen refered to as suedette in some ads. It was some kind of dupont treated leather during the "dupont" gets into the miracle fabric business time, lol. I have to go look around to find that one

Creeping Past said:
Thanks for getting stuck in. This is an interesting addition to the history of water-resistant cotton that's unfurling slowly elsewhere on FL. It's a maze of TMs and Rs.

yes, it is.

I'm going through my reference books and am finding a few pictures of people wearing leathers from the 20s through the 40s. I'll scan them over the next couple of days and get back to the thread.

Also, does Australia count as "British"? I have a few Australian reference picture books too.

bk

himelator

Vendor
Creeping Past said:
Thanks for getting stuck in. This is an interesting addition to the history of water-resistant cotton that's unfurling slowly elsewhere on FL. It's a maze of TMs and Rs.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_leather

yeah its gross but insta wiki... there also was quilon.. and other products which plasticized suede making it waterproof and washable...they say it was used only during the war lol I like the old ads you guys have a lot of time on your hands to research around! Im jealous...and procrastinating

Mike1973

A-List Customer
More blouson style 'suedette' cycling jackets

http://www.cotswoldcycling.co.uk/kit_page.html
above_snowshill.jpg

kit_advert.JPG

In fact the whole site has some cracking shots showing club cycling in the '30's
http://www.cotswoldcycling.co.uk/photo_gallery.html

phil_grimmitt.jpg
tommy_kemp_mg.jpg
norman_hartwell.jpg

pg1_hangman.jpg

Interesting there are no obviously leather jackets in any of these photos of club cyclists. As a cyclist myself a leather jacket would not be my first choice, but these suedette blouson style jackets look ideal... Maybe leather was more used in motorcycling?

pipvh

Practically Family
...and I'm trying to imagine plus-fours as cycling gear. Without success, it has to be said.

Cobden

Practically Family
Speedbird said:
^^^^ lol lol lol ^^^^ HJ you do make me smile!

I have been thinking about workwear. I have an image in my head of a close fitted button front mandarin collared tube sleeved very plain utility garment maybe worn by coalmen or draymen (if that's the right term) but I can't find an image in evidence so maybe I just imagined the thing.

Pre-war motorcyclists wore leather trenchcoats - RFC hand me downs or similiar I think. The WW1 derived leather jerkins must have been popular as workwear.

What the Brideshead Revisited crowd wore must be a kissing cousins of Baron's wonderful jacket and flying coats.

But you are right - it seems easier to find an ancestor of the Donkey Jacket than a British working mans leather jacket.

I know the thing you mean. It's a sleeved waistcoat, but with a mandarin collar...

Bugger...now I have the same problem as you, as I don't know what it's called either

pipvh

Practically Family
I have exactly the same image in my mind's eye. Sleeved waistcoat, fairly big buttons, mandarin collar - heavy serge? Did I see them being worn, or only in photographs? Don't know. I've been thinking about coalmen and draymen and night-watchmen (and braziers in the street). But there's definitely some garment that used to be worn under the old leather army jerkins. Going to have to do some proper digging - this is really starting to bug me.

Speedbird

A-List Customer
Whilst I agree there is a fabric thing worn under the leather jerkins.... but I swear there is a totally leather version ... somewhere! And common too... not obscure and isolated!

I have been searching for images of miners, railwaymen, dockers, truck drivers & mates ... even Fred Dibnah...... it's completely irritating now... :rage:

Mike1973

A-List Customer
While going through my old cycling mags found this illustration that was a close-ish match to BK's jacket -

30sA1-1.jpg

From 1936
4463581930_e128c12f3f_b.jpg

Also, After going through about a dozen pre war and post war cycling mags, I could find no decent reference for leather jackets being worn - in either adverts or photos. The standard 'uniform' seems to be baggy plus fours and sixes, and either a continental style cycling jumper or the suedette type blouson jacket that we have already shown on this thread. While I wouldn't want to rule out that leather jackets were worn by cyclists, I'd say it was probably uncommon.

Speedbird said:
but I swear there is a totally leather version ... somewhere! And common too... not obscure and isolated!

A totally leather version? Wouldn't that just be a jacket - a leather jerkin with leather arms?

Looking at "The World War 2 Tommy" book last night, there are several variations on the issued leather jerkin. Some with collar attached in leather, others with battledress tunic wool collar and arms attached.

bk

Mike1973

A-List Customer
Baron Kurtz said:
A totally leather version? Wouldn't that just be a jacket - a leather jerkin with leather arms?

Looking at "The World War 2 Tommy" book last night, there are several variations on the issued leather jerkin. Some with collar attached in leather, others with battledress tunic wool collar and arms attached.

bk

While stationed in Berlin in 1945 my uncle had a German tailor add sleeves to his issue jerkin using an old blanket.

Speedbird

A-List Customer
Baron Kurtz said:

bk

lol lol lol ok Baron, I particularly enjoyed your demolition of my inept descriptive powers lol lol lol

Tired and late .... sigh

Mike, I agree, a leather cycling jacket does seem unlikely.... but I thought we were looking for leather jackets pre-1950's in general, and I think I am looking for specifically for British pre-war leatherjackets as workwear, although I am not sure anymore.

Sportswear is going to be your best bet of finding something, i think. I have some interesting pics to scan.

Also, have a look around fascist gatherings. I've seen some pics of rallies from Ireland (Owen O'Duffy et al.) where i think i see leather in the midst of the blueshirts … in the mould of Goebbels-type jackets. Can't be sure, though.

bk

Mike1973

A-List Customer
Speedbird said:
Mike, I agree, a leather cycling jacket does seem unlikely.... but I thought we were looking for leather jackets pre-1950's in general, and I think I am looking for specifically for British pre-war leatherjackets as workwear, although I am not sure anymore.

Yep, we are both on the same thread, but where your chain of thought went down the workwear route, mine went down sportswear, specifically cycling, and pretty much drew a blank lol I'm looking forward to seeing what else turns up though ;)

Speedbird

A-List Customer
Those are the kind of early flying type jackets I was expecting to see. Makes me want a barnstormer coat all over again now ...

The mandarin collared tube sleeved plain thing - I've decided it must have been a U-boat jacket ........... not the half belt 3/4 length type though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21