Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brown Tea Core? Bill Kelso Liberty Horsehide Dodger at 10 months.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I haven't looked at the Duke wear until today. Nothing really to speak of. It looks pretty much like the day I got it and it was worn quite a bit. I read the ad again and it is Dark Seal. Still smells very sweet.

hH_iYQtIK5DsS6n2YfyQMAY5n0zokCXbITbwRX1SMpyOzGmYeHjlpEeFUxTjHF4QhznwUUG_Rkc_qfbO5JLNgv7DE9Ioe7Z0ZpIuiIEsnBHYvnA8Vxsy2ncJpmZj94vwCEBDnx84uj0IL5Nk2J7Pr6dQYMB6CZZwlKr59Pa5IH97YZJ63uwEqhs40KAuPZzEuMS6EMXmeTNpjHDCmF-eAvkS89zKM1kO7iZYsJjSqc8PJjq6VmpVNqKIo78xXWHkP-QgKHTIFEPuAd3eQUgMzdcKe9EMCZlhi7hWg53nRU42Mt5nQe5_5JD5wBjDlIGZWcyyKqD9m0OB5kNwOGCMlDNx8FqnUiOlKa5iWwXlVjYWn1zCTchuMKXZY1EaOvDUHKdIMPcI74sXLjl9mresqyLM_OTXr8-MBfEY9x6OnA3I2nqJBb1BshXpjZ3n9UQ_h60nXV8UUlmbnDu0B16FSg7KlBmVZySsSpWMqmz0PT7n661MUxa1TR1j2gNFBwFC4gSU-bmwxm_wI6OCq4vcr_1YaWeuQPJA2zXqXUHgT_dJnSkmL4xVE-Q4ooznUOTMqXgn4Q=w1308-h650-no

fAXe061qtEqlMHAmaNo4CNETUsM3lpKotqvO4S29tZnTgchhdp0z2OWDQUteGRdSU0_VuwpdgEJCSdK9d6BskSLMG6Drz-_-HMeMpoRY7cKo9eovwOzahkdXElyMSC0O_7a7yCK6qjyr58WfSwZlusI-Og6HlEVWDVc_y2819kjvc8JtcqEx77qlpk_s3Xck5YwmYk-Q3tQ9CFbT_0mZl1kQJU1nTarAkS2yTafIi-lHfR2IUeRqoke9ukKOEVwiQGE07PT6q_0i5Q9rhQCdyu2dCvQvEnNgXY5ddLuP6vEQRSrAXpR8joG7fummlIIAj1Nzkoj14ISo83qU7qgzkaRCEugtOwevnmb5Nw-1XKhalKW0ISexZoff907ee0XvJs5fve0NwU7eYyU8yhPQ1DJxRHDXkWLJzELliG1qdKhFnWAWolcicntFqud0TEECD13ItpQTWu2RX4q3RPFD-FUxL0mw2WC083JwmUZyQVzVI88p-glK-gReDV1g6QkAsKx3X4qTkA8XPOHJiA1U1ayvi7ShBfUYS64ykBYE27rSF6NI6InUysEyGttHKfw5WgcJaA=w979-h650-no

G1F-IP1gpOd6s4zyXmW-mtmM2twOCsCEN1vEGAYzIQKO5hVizyWygskha_aVCACrO3kB6LvxVDcfFVhnZ78sLJ-Zo7hhsrpJaLfD3V0ua_PvNteuvH__ne4VuHe-du3fpjtP_9UJMFFbe8hIR8IQ37lSLe_M8WJPQUpbKBLkHd87WddqYJc--tpOUDa-YnecdcRBg3hToWlj1kSrRX4S-dhiRw10aJOobucMMnY2A64nQ9L6gCebuBPHyZD22BG8CC4iDSfwcimpwxZYjlAUS2cjtkrCrvu8Yu2XjFx8XlYq9DQdqICbaVMxaFAcnOnJIfeIZbb8kmCQUSG2zFGAV3DVgFnLqefeLRppK_SeBDkfh3BShzt8qacMXpvEfkOrjlE57semFcQJEmLsLH_tIOgZel0N3nDeAqApY4lkIVDVcKGtDx5LMarWMUjSfLaQa3fr3n3wkbhnUU4MYurxcFI4MM-5bPa4iIXZozyFcqvWnXIw7r8TIFKdw-jJ54w4m-nIasC2OrSilXVSYgYvzq6WMcAiECijsGi5PavMmHz-s-O_zUkH6j3MdAENMO-wVmdxMQ=w979-h650-no

_yJKUFKalqBh_00-iMTqGFvn3bttjQzuPUUxcuNV4uWgSpFEJ9mILXKskuhwKSVOpNpdkGWVq09Ef1DYoqdo_wIoOP1xD7J-_L2cRJ3yHulW_1s77RoXSQ9N__3TMDtcS6TVh92dwFYNnzFrtY1vF9frNSh0nH-MlZKWn8tOFCapzBdjKcFNJe5YnKfmuH4dwkQIS4so02EZckZa5xgFqB4cx0B08lvHZbr2hNJ4aLferIrhCcXtQd6uBIEKjbxGZwmxoeGnPKRPxSYdRmJW4el0OyLw5hlXSbovmpNc2yXdpkb0DYoVNCIt6UpmiXYAd0AEaTig6otAmnHsModhHjnpCIT1bQaE_ULvrcCo0JCmfG4JOwXIAlJqqH67uaIs5dG6iN2Z-ydBRLb21M0hvoDAr9ElM3bV_1e0bG46G_opWxs2wmJtacyNcs9UpRBvurpF_p4uW338fDrLjuUJpEKKkOyCk-R7cZiwOKLg5X42Y5IciY7Sb0AcmkV_pvyLEo1awqKv1Py8_C3-cfeG32qwNMjS8BePNYzLo6phazWPxS_im0tRAQJTxvZbYQF_Ebs9yQ=w935-h650-no

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
My Liberty hide jacket seems to be showing the same sort of wear as the OP, just not as much. even though it's a bit older.

I really like the way it's progressing so far!

How old is you jacket? Have you worn it much? I have a BK Liberty A2 also. It is wearing like the Dodger.

Did you understand from the outset that the Liberty would wear quickly?

Thanks for showing that jacket. If it at all like mine you know where it is going.

Dav

One Too Many
How old is you jacket? Have you worn it much? I have a BK Liberty A2 also. It is wearing like the Dodger.

Did you understand from the outset that the Liberty would wear quickly?

Thanks for showing that jacket. If it at all like mine you know where it is going.

I've had the jacket for about twelve months, mainly wearing it through the summer, so not a huge amount of wear.
I must admit, no I didn't realise it would wear so quickly. I don't have any issue with this by the way!

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I've had the jacket for about twelve months, mainly wearing it through the summer, so not a huge amount of wear.
I must admit, no I didn't realise it would wear so quickly. I don't have any issue with this by the way!

Thanks again.

Mine started wearing within a few days, which is what promted my concern and email to BK. It isn't just that jacket, my BK A2 is wearing the same way.

I wish there was a way to then stop the process just when it gets a look like this.

Maybe I need to rest my Dodger and pick it up later down the road. I've got enough jackets to wear.

sw709

Familiar Face
Hi all,

I'm a bit late to this convo, but I wanted to chime in on the BK Liberty/wear thing.

BK had stated (on their Facebook page) that they were looking to create a horsehide that did, in fact, wear at an accelerated pace. Liberty was the result. Their intent was to create a leather that exhibited all of the characteristic of a vintage horsehide jacket, without having to wait 50 years for it to get that way. All in an effort to help those of us who want instant gratification. Call it a product of our modern times & demands ;)

I have two BK jackets...a Wingman & Cadet...in this leather. I have to say, I'm thrilled with the both the quality of the leather, an how it is evolving. It is also graining up at an incredibly fast rate, and it's quite nice. Unfortunately, I don't have any evo pictures yet, but I promise to post some soon. It does seen to have a light tan core, and it's wearing thru very fast at the most abused spots on the jacket, which I happen to like. Time will tell if this attempt at accelerated 'break-in' is too much of a good thing, but I'm along for the ride. I honestly didn't buy into this leather for it's aging properties either, I just happened to like the color & the price. So, for me, the aging is a bonus.

I also owned a BK A2 in Victory horse--yet another amazing leather, and it did have an incredibly intoxicating, almost sweet smell that I could never get enough of. It also grained up rather nicely, and appeared to have a reddish cast underneath the top coat.

Here is a pic of the Cadet in Liberty horsehide. It is about a week old in this photo. Again, sorry that there aren't any pics of the evolution of the leather. Cheers!
Pointe%20Du%20Hoc_zpsuqeblolj.jpg

Last edited:

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Looking good Bret!
Nice shirt too. Who makes that one?
Appreciate it, Eric! The Wabash is a clearance rack Gap special lol

Very nice Bret, like how it seems to just be wearing in the high spots.

Chris, my thoughts exactly. Appreciate your words. As referenced earlier in this thread and elsewhere, BK formulated the Liberty to age quickly which I was not initially thrilled to learn. In fact, I was very (very) skeptical of this hide in general when I first got the jacket. But I have come to really appreciate it. It's a bit thinner and notably softer than say Shinki, but I have come to deternine that's not necessarily a negative. I believe it's especially effective for jackets of this style (read: draping and easy wear).

Last edited:
OK, I dig it. But many here that have railed on other's jackets as being "too short" love this one? I mean, it's short - as short as some of the others that got lambasted recently. I don't get it...

Vinny A

New in Town
gosh that Californian is exquisite. From the front on shot it appears to fit against your body like a Saville suit.

The leather on the others looks great too.. which has me wondering..

if the Liberty HH BK offers atm is the same stuff or has the formula been tweaked once more in the interim. Kinda suspect the latter. Does anyone know?

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
if the Liberty HH BK offers atm is the same stuff or has the formula been tweaked once more in the interim. Kinda suspect the latter. Does anyone know?

I have the same thought. I don't know the answer. I also have a Liberty A2 wich is probably less than a year old. I am not the original buyer. It had no wear when I bough it. It does now! I would say it is acting the same way as my Dodger. The finish color may have something to do with it. I'm probably more rough on a jacket than others, but.

The two I own are the same as far as finish and appear to be wearing in a similar way.

I was curious as to what other Liberty jackets looked like and what their owners/others thought. Thanks to all for sharing..

sw709

Familiar Face
Like the glasses/hat and the cadet.
Thanks tmitch!
The only jacket with such a sweet smell is my old Aero Steerhide Highwayman.

Like the glasses/hat and the cadet.
Funny you should mention the Aero Highwayman. I had a Highwayman that also had the most magnificent smell to it...much like my old BK A2 in Victory Horsehide. And yet, none of the Aero's I've owned since have had that same scent. I miss it so...

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Thanks tmitch!

Funny you should mention the Aero Highwayman. I had a Highwayman that also had the most magnificent smell to it...much like my old BK A2 in Victory Horsehide. And yet, none of the Aero's I've owned since have had that same scent. I miss it so...

I believe my Highwayman is Connely Steerhide and that is the distinction. The Victory is pretty strong.

Just picturing all of us guys sitting at home sniffing their jackets... :p

I've got an ex smokers nose that never had a sense of smell and these two really stand out. I've got to go sniff around a bit.;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider