Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BUCKAROO BONANZA! - The Hats that Major Mike Moore Makes

majormoore

Vendor
Yep, on the hole, and BTY the hat I made him was a size 7 5/8" with a 4" wide brim, the owner wanting the hat is 6'3" tall

Major Moore

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
If you ever watched how he handled that hat in his calvary movies, you'd know why the hole existed...

Yes indeed. Those holes don't happen overnight, so they hint of years gone by, and of the things those hats have seen. That's why they are so cool.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Here is another shot Blackthorn.

11015103_913910875295992_2702964326771844502_n.jpg

That makes me want one more than ever now, Rusty!

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Don't let em fool you Ole , the Best Shine comes from just up the road (up and over really) in Nutbush (Tina's former Hometown , ... Turner , that is) , I got Peach ? Flavored ... Never Tasted a Peach or anything else for weeks . Fire shot out of my ears , nose , mouth , eyeballs ... , I'm glad no lit matches were around ! ... that was in 1978 , and I would never EVER do that again . WOW ! Once was TOO MUCH ! ... (Crazy Things we do) ...

AWESOME Hat ! Oxblood or Black Cherry (old dye) ? ... SWEET ! Glad you had such a Great Time Buddy ! ... I'm going through the thread ... Great Memories , I know , and Hope you get back soon !

He seemed to like it.

Well, don't shoot at the photographer. A week of Vegas protein-bombing has made me grow a foot or two. A rib-eye or porterhouse steak over here weighs more than an average Danish retriever dog! :D

Thanks guys, it's been an awesome day! I've met the most amazing bunch of people here in Covington. I carry around the note from a fortune cookie I was served Thursday evening in Vegas. It says: "Soon someone new in your life will become a very good friend". I never bought into that sort of predictions before, but it's impossible to dismiss anything so true! Those guys are so kind, you'll have to meet them in person to belive it. Have you never been to Buckaroo Hatters - go there!

The hat looks and feels great. It's an Oxblood pure beaver body, blocked on a #51. The brim was cut to 2-5/8", and the hat sports a black "Playboy-stitching" along the edge - and the most beautiful black mid-ribbon.

I ended up buying 2 straws, some pugs and a hat-hook too. I'm on my way out to eat with Mike and Ed, but I'll probably be back tomorrow with more pics :)

GREAT HATS Everyone ! ... I'm 30 minutes away , and go through Covington Often , know where Buckaroo's is and just haven't caught them open , BUT I will ! ... Eat more Ole ! Biscuits and Gravy ! Like Norman OK Mike said , Shrimp and Cheese Grits are Calling ! YUM ! ... I think I may drag my brother or nephew with me when I go (they'll never know what hit em !) They need they're pockets lightened up , and nice Lids to prove it ! Haha ! They'll be Hooked !

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
It was Oxblood , I guess . Great Visit and Fun !

A brief version of the making of "The Ole Buckaroo"

As most of you have noticed by now, I recently visited the US - and also had the opportunity to visit Buckaroo Hatters in Covington, TN. Ed (The Wiser Hatter) picked me up in Nashville on his way from Louisville, KY - and he gave me a fantastic guided tour to Covington. Here Mike More very generously let me make my own fedora, and I had an awesome, memorable day with him, Rocky, Rusty and Ed.

A week ago I got a CD with pictures, Rusty took during my visit at shop, and now I have finally found time to get the them sorted. Sorry about the delay, but here we are - Ed and I arriving at the shop shortly before Saturday noon:

View attachment 12581

No, the car is not the one, we arrived in - but it did look nice! Mike's shop turned out even more fantastic, than I had expected from the postings I had read, and from what I had learned through numerous visits to the shop-website. If you are interested in hats, this is like Disneyland to a five-year old - and if you're also interested in mechanics and tools in general, it's completely out of this World! Here's a view over the shop from the first floor:

View attachment 12582

The observant lounger will notice a very unhappy little cowboy, struggling to get back up on the horse, in the bottom of the picture. Well, all tears (even "The Last Drop") very quickly evaporated under Grandpa' Rocky's comforting canopy of love and pride:

View attachment 12583

I was fortunate enough to get Rocky as my patient teacher. I really admire his approach, telling and showing me what to do. He then let me do any error in the book - as long as I didn't rip, burn or send the poor deceased rodent into orbit. Instead of interfering, he let me proceed to the "Doooh! But he told me so!" point. Also if it took me two or three failing attempts to get there. As long as things can be salvaged, that's a very good way to learn ... at least for me. Many warm thanks to Rocky! He's a great guy, and he's very generous with his wonderful sense of humour.

After Mike and I had chosen the body, it was steamed, and Rocky got me going with the pulling over the block. Notice the angled shaft for the block, mounted on the table edge. That's an ingenious little tool, making the pulling a whole lot easier!

View attachment 12584 View attachment 12585 View attachment 12586

Pushing down the blocking cord, and ironing the crown with Mike's low-tech, manual crown iron (love that thing!):

View attachment 12587 View attachment 12588 View attachment 12589

The block is placed on a motorized spinner, mounted in the table and running appr. 50-70 RPM (Mike may want to correct me on the speed). Pouncing of the crown was also (mainly) done on the spinner. After pouncing of crown and brim, the brim was cut and later pounced to bevel/round the edge:

View attachment 12590 View attachment 12591 View attachment 12592

Here "Chief Walking Foot" is stippling a magic circle along the brim edge under strict and concentrated command by Major Moore. I'm not quite sure, if Ed was loosing his jaw over the unfolding craftsmanship - or if he was just checking his camera :)

View attachment 12593

Mike also sewed in the sweatband with his ancient Singer 107-1, and after flanging, Rocky conformed the hat to my head. Not with a formillion, but with a couple of repeated cycles of steaming, followed by pressing the hat to my head - and then flattening the (still warm) inner-part of the brim with a tolliker against the table.

Here follow most of the finished hat, but the important thing here is the fistful of gentlemen behind me ... The A-Team: Mike, Rocky, Rusty and Ed. After a long wonderful day, where I was carpet-bombed with kindness, fabulous experiences, hat-talk, gear-check and anecdotes, it was time to get freshened up and get ready for some nice, Southern chow together with Mike and Ed:

View attachment 12594 View attachment 12595

I really can't thank you guys enough! What originally was meant to be "just" a pickup of a custom hat, you turned into an experience for life. Meeting folks like you was absolutely a factor, when I decided to have a try at living in the US. Gentlemen "on all shelves" - and darn good ambassadors, you are! From the bottom of my heart: Thank you! :)

After returning home, I sewed on the vintage wind trolley, Mike supplied me with - re-creased the crown a bit - and took these pictures:

View attachment 12596 View attachment 12597 View attachment 12599 View attachment 12600

View attachment 12598 View attachment 12601

Specs:
Felt: Dress-weight 100% beaver in oxblood
Crown: Block #51 - 4-5/8" creased as diamond (Open appr: 5-1/4" - 5-1/2")
Brim: 2-5/8" with black stitching à la Stetson Playboy
Ribbon: 12''' (1-1/16") black 1930s grosgrain with woven centre stripe

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
A good friend of mine who has always commented on my hats, finally ordered one from the Major.
He is an outdoors type and wanted a hat that reflected that.
So he told Mike a little about himself and what he thought he would like.
Here is the result.

mn8p.jpg

A 100 beaver with a 2 5\8s bound brim, 5 3\4 open crown creased in a center dent, with a 2 ply ribbon and in pecan color.

Looks great on him, by the way my friend does not do internet...so I am posting for him.

THAT is a NICE HAT ! The ONE !

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Wow, you've been reading up on this thread, Michael. Thanks for bumping it. You have filled my day with loads of wonderful memories :)

We were talking about Black Cherry, but as we went through Mike's stock, I fell in love with this one. I believe, it's the old Black Cherry dye from Winchester - but I'm not quite sure. What the heck, I don't necessarily need her name to fall in love with her ;)

Yes, it really came out nice. It's been mandatory in my rotation ever since. I have brushed it over a little steam and run a Lexol swab over the sweat from time to time. That's all, and it still feels and looks just like the day I left Covington.

Let's meet at the shop next time I visit the US. Mike, Rocky and Rusty are wonderful people. The hospitality and kindness ooze from the shop. You will never regret a visit!

Jeez, you really stirred up some sweet memories, right there! Thank you, Sir :)

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Ole , I went by Buckaroo Hatters again , Thursday , still not opened , but I missed the sign , open Sat and Sun . A Mr Jones and his wife came out , pointed to the sign . Said Rocky farms , but sometimes is working on Hats getting them ready to be blocked I guess , but won't open the door . He said Saturday's and Sunday's are mostly tweaking Hats , taking measurements , other stuff , busy . I had a San An in my head when I pulled up , but Mr Jones said Mike can help pick a style that suits you , many times a Hat that we love just won't be right on us , but he'll know and steer in the right direction. He and his wife are or were set designers and their daughter used to work there , they decorated the Shop , and his daughter makes Antibellum Hats for ladies , now . But he was nice thought he remembered you . Anyway I'll try again on a Saturday or Sunday sometime.

My Mac crashed and I had to take it to Memphis . And it'll be ready Monday , and I have a Drs appointment in Memphis Tuesday, I drove to Covington before the guy at the computer shop said it would be Monday more than likely , so I turned around .

I'll get in Buckaroo's one day .

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I'm sorry I didn't tell you about opening hours, Michael. I had forgotten all about it, but now you mention it, I remember timing the visit for a weekend.

I'm not sure if I met Mr. and Mrs. Jones. I met a lot of very kind people that day. I'm not sure who were customers and who were friends. I was overall overwhelmed by the whole experience, so many "details" slipped my attention, I guess :)

The shop is an Aladdin's Cave! A wonderful mix of all kinds of hats, hatter tools and old Southern interior. It's like walking into a time- and cultural pocket - with the kindest people imaginable working and passing through.

You simply must go back and get the whole experience. I can't think of a better "amusement park" for hat wearers with the age to be grown-ups ;) :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points