Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bush Jackets

Jay

Practically Family
Like this?
vlcsnap-3472108.png

DnSchlng

One of the Regulars
New Member/Bush Jacket

Does anybody know the Lost World's bush jacket, particularly the Hemingway bush? What are your opinions on it? Do you know if it appeared in any movies?

P.S. Im a new member
please reply so i can get to know everyone

eightbore

Suspended
Hi there! There's an original Willis and Geiger Hemingway on an auction site right now and I just don't care for it. I don't really like the lack of a belt. Check out the bush jacket made www.filson.com. Pricey, but very sharp.

eightbore

Cobden

Practically Family
If you go onto the UK ebay, you can often find original British Army one's for good prices (usually less then £25/$50). Perhaps not as sharp or well tailored (unless you find an officers one), but that's compensated by the fact it has a story behing it!

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have two bush jackets. First is a London Fog I got from my old man. The second is a Tilley I bought off e-bay. Both are fantastic but neither have belts.
Johnny

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Is it worth is to get a safari jacket? My local vintage clothing shop has a very large selection of them and most of them fit me, so I am considering getting one. The only issue is, when would I wear one? In town they would look too costumey and if I am outdoors I have enough other suitable clothing.

Safari Look

I think you are correct,you may get a little flak,what are you on safari? where`s your gun & guide,your not in Africa you know.But anyway the look is dashing I must say.

budrichard

Familiar Face
When I worked as a newspaper photogrpaher in the late 1960's, there were no 'photographer clothing' and a Safari Jacket was just the thing with the four pockets for an additional lens or two. Today the two garments seemed to have merged. Anyway I like the versatility even if not on Safari!-Dick

Mike K.

One Too Many
Glad to see this thread revived. I can no longer keep count of the number of safari/bush jackets I own or have owned (if anyone is interested in one just PM me; I seriously need to thin my collection). If I get the time this weekend, perhaps I can sit down and write a comprehensive review of what's out there, what to look for, what to stay away from, etc. Of all the bush jackets I have ever owned, I must say that my favorite is the UK Belted Bush Jacket currently offered by What Price Glory (http://onlinemilitaria.net/shopexd.asp?id=1243&bc=no).
khakibushjacket.jpg

The cotton drill is sturdy, the collar just right, the pocket flaps just right, and...Matt Deckard you'll love this...it has proper high armholes!! My only quibble (and it's a very minor one) is that I would have preferred wood/horn buttons and a leather-covered buckle (but I can always make these replacements on my own). Overall, I LOVE THIS JACKET!!

Also, I have found a good way to avoid the dumb remarks from the general public when wearing a safari/bush jacket.
Wear it with blue jeans and without a fedora-style hat.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Mike

That's some recommendation. I've been thinking of getting a WPG bush jacket. I passed last year due to other spending commitments.

I was advised by the Major that I might need a size up. Do you find yours true to size? Was he pre-empting my wanting to wear a shirt underneath -- perish the thought! -- or saving me grief prior to washing it?

Cheers

CP

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Mike K. said:
Also, I have found a good way to avoid the dumb remarks from the general public when wearing a safari/bush jacket.
Wear it with blue jeans and without a fedora-style hat.
I'm fine with wearing jeans to avoid stupid comments. My black everyday trousers (when it's not sunny enough for khakis, in other words most of the year in England) would probably also avoid comments, but they would look ridiculous with a safari jacket. But I cannot go without my fedora. Never. So I suppose that if I get a safari jacket I'll just live with stupid comments. Can't be more stupid than the Indiana Jones comment I got when I was in a grey hat and a beige suit.

Mike K.

One Too Many
Creeping Past said:
I was advised by the Major that I might need a size up. Do you find yours true to size? Was he pre-empting my wanting to wear a shirt underneath -- perish the thought! -- or saving me grief prior to washing it?
I would recommend ordering two jackets to start - your normal size and one size larger. WPG is really good about returns and this technique will give you the chance to see which size fits you best. Expect some shrinkage, but not too much. Also, as indicated on the WPG page, you should definitely order the LONG size if you are 5'10" or taller. I ended up going with a 40L (my normal size is 40R).

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Good advice. Thanks for that. If it weren't for the £-$ rate inflating postage and customs charges this end being sky-high, I'd do that.

I think I might order from Soldier of Fortune in the UK, as I suspect they've an arrangement with WPG to sell WPG stuff de-labelled, as it were.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ