Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buzz Rickson's B-2...a pictorial review of an endangered species!

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
The B-2 is not rocket science.
Materials aside, it's not so much hard to build, it's time-consuming and requires extra-heavy machinery. No other leather garment I know of needs such a heavy lining to be actually sewn in. Others are all sheepskin, including the Irvin. The B-1, I believe, was actually horsehide lined with sheep.

Anyway, I talked to 3 makers about doing a one-off. Two refused flat out. The other I don't really trust.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
The unique nature is a plus to me. It's like riding a Triumph instead of a Honda :)

Pfft. Comparing a Triumph to a Honda is like comparing the Buzz B2 to a mall jacket. ;)

Materials aside, it's not so much hard to build, it's time-consuming and requires extra-heavy machinery. No other leather garment I know of needs such a heavy lining to be actually sewn in. Others are all sheepskin, including the Irvin. The B-1, I believe, was actually horsehide lined with sheep.

Anyway, I talked to 3 makers about doing a one-off. Two refused flat out. The other I don't really trust.

I've yet to see a picture of a B1 - only ever seen verbal descriptions - but I imagine it to look something not dissimilar to the recently launched Aero Thunder Bay, albeit that the latter is based on a civilian jacket. If Aero had access to the correct lining material, that would suggest they have the capability in-house to manufacture a B2. I vaguely remember reading some years back that Ken(? Or was it Will Lauder?) wasn't keen, but I don't know if that was based on what they had the machinery for at the time, or a perception that there wasn't the market for it.

saucerfiend

Practically Family

Fletch,
Try "The Few". I'm sure they would do it.

Brian

Peter Mackin

One Too Many
27BE769C-665E-4E70-87DD-27856E1CBCFB.jpeg
Resurrected this old thread,,because of jansolo I just had to find one of these jackets,it’s a fantastic addition to my collection.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I hadread so much negative about the B2s buttons both here and on VLJ but i have to say the ones on my LW B2 aer prettu usable, i don't find them a problem.
The snap throat latch is useless though.

Peter Mackin

One Too Many
I can use the button pocket easily but don’t as the pocket is only for decoration since it’s pretty small,(I love the pleated pocket though)the throat latch works well but I have heard others say it’s difficult to fasten.

Peter Mackin

One Too Many
View attachment 293803 Resurrected this old thread,,because of jansolo I just had to find one of these jackets,it’s a fantastic addition to my collection.
Update, ended up selling this jacket. Looks great but found it not practical, comfortable or warm enough for Scottish winters. Plus the crappy horsehide that has a sprayed on finish that looks and feels like pvc. the finish rubs off very easily leaving a grey hide showing, that's not patina as I see it. Haven't missed it and glad I didn't lose any money for the 1st time lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto