• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

Camp Ironsights

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by Renault, Nov 28, 2014.

1. greatestescaper

greatestescaper One of the Regulars

Oh, I completely understand. I knew we had them just south of here, it's just interesting how suddenly they're everywhere. I will be building a smoke house.

Oldsarge likes this.
  2. If I lived in wild hog country that's exactly what I would do. I remember visiting Mt. Vernon. Washington's old smoke house still smells of hams and bacon after two hundred years. When I went hunting in Parkfield, CA we would stay across the street from the Parkfield Café. Walking into that place, all you had to do is take a deep breath and you were ready to eat the table! Gawd, the thought of a smoke house gets me dreaming.

greatestescaper likes this.
  3. greatestescaper

greatestescaper One of the Regulars

A friend of mine has an old smoker I liberated. We used it for my wedding dinner and it stayed a my place for a few months. A vagrant breeze would bring smells that had me drooling like Pavlov's dog. There's nothing like it. And if the smell of ham dinner is telling as to the smell of smoking hams, sausage, and such, I can hardly wait. I'm also keen on making some of the cured Italian meats that I grew up with. I've got an idea for an insulated curing shed.

Oldsarge likes this.
  4. Speck and prosciutto are essential!

greatestescaper likes this.
  5. niv

niv New in Town

I've had some of that Nilgai, both as Brats and hamburger, and it is/was wonderful! Many thanks for your generosity, Renault, my friend!

Renault likes this.
  6. IMG_5410.JPG About 3 weeks ago now.

BobHufford and Big Man like this.
  7. Big Man

Big Man My Mail is Forwarded Here

8. The 1895 rifle 3rd from left. .35 WCF. Its an elk killer! Complete with a Lyman #21 receiver sight! I can see the sights! :D

Big Man likes this.
  9. IMG_5124.JPG

BobHufford and Big Man like this.