Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can anybody.....

MDFrench

A-List Customer
There's some overlap with these, but I was writing fast from memory. Please excuse repeats - More to come soon, MK!

You asked for it!

Casablanca
The Maltese Falcon
The Rocketeer
The Shadow
13 Rue Madelene - (Cagney)
A League of Their Own
Dick Tracy
The Phantom
Radioland Murders
Tucker
Twelve O?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢Clock High
Memphis Belle
Sahara
Hanover Street
Force 10 From Navarone
The Third Man
Spellbound
Notorious
Sullivan?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s Travels
The Untouchables
Road to Perdition
Sahara (Bogart)
The Great Escape
High Road to China (well... that?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s more 1920s... but still high adventure)
It Happened One Night
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
Mr. Deeds Goes to Town
Shadow of a Doubt (Hitchcock)
Foreign Correspondent (Hitchcock)
Chinatown
To Kill a Mockingbird
Bringing Up Baby
His Girl Friday
Twelve O?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢Clock High
Where Eagles Dare
Cloak and Dagger (Gary Cooper)
For Whom the Bell Tolls (Bergman/Cooper)
Meet John Doe (Capra/Cooper)
The Devil and Miss Jones
A Foreign Affair
Judgement at Nuremburg
Dead End
The Whole Town?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s Talking
You Can?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t Take it With You (Capra)
Harvey (1950, but with a forties feel)
No Highway in the Sky (1951, not sure about this one, but I think it had that 40s flavor - Stewart and Dietrich - VERY GOOD FILM)
Arsenic and Old Lace
Wake Island
The Awful Truth (Grant)
Mr. Lucky (Grant)
Murder on the Orient Express (1974, Bergman, set in 1935)
The Bells of Saint Mary (Bergman)

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
Originally posted by MK

Tomorrow I am screening Mr. & Mrs. Smith and will share with you my thoughts on that one. [/B]

Now I know why Hitch only made one comedy. As a married man, I don't find it funny or entertaining to watch couples fight and argue.

As a side note, that is my problem with a lot of romatic comedies: They are about people who are not willing to be honest.

Oh well. The man did make a lot of wonderful movies I do like.:confused:

MDFrench

A-List Customer
Oh, here are some Jennifer Connelly entries -

Mulholland Falls
Inventing the Abbotts
The Rocketeer (as mentioned previously)

AND

DARK CITY - While this film is not set in the 1930s or 1940s, the world of the Dark City in the film is enveloped in the aesthetic of the 30s, complete with nightstick cops, some NICE fedoras, lounge singers, and even an Automat.

MORE TO COME MK

Michael Mallory

One of the Regulars
Let me add...

"A Star is Born" (1937 -- NOT the later ones)
"Rebecca" (1940)
"The Masked Marvel" (1943 -- Republic serial)
"Laura" (1944)
"Dead of Night" (1945)
"The Time of Their Lives" (1946)
"Raw Deal" (1948)
"Naked City" (1948)
"Act of Violence" (1949)
"Border Incident" (1949)

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Movies

Wow...you guys talk about movies too!
Let's see, besides my addiction for hats... I have a HUGE collection of movies, VHS and DVD. I began collecting movies by recording them on American Movie Classics (before they went to s***), when there were NO COMMERCIALS or EDITING. We have a good PBS station in Bay Area (KQED) that plays classics on Sat. at 8PM.
So...ALL ganster, film noir, 1930-50 classics...PLUS THE REPUBLIC SERIALS you know the CLIFF HANGERS! What great films. Some are campy..but there is a fist fight, gun battle, car chase, on each "CHAPTER" ...And the FEDORA never comes off the head of our star!!

Imahomer

Practically Family
Re: Movies

Originally posted by Andykev
Wow...you guys talk about movies too!
Let's see, besides my addiction for hats... I have a HUGE collection of movies, VHS and DVD. I began collecting movies by recording them on American Movie Classics (before they went to s***), when there were NO COMMERCIALS or EDITING. We have a good PBS station in Bay Area (KQED) that plays classics on Sat. at 8PM.
So...ALL ganster, film noir, 1930-50 classics...PLUS THE REPUBLIC SERIALS you know the CLIFF HANGERS! What great films. Some are campy..but there is a fist fight, gun battle, car chase, on each "CHAPTER" ...And the FEDORA never comes off the head of our star!!

Hey Andykev

Sonds like we have similar tastes in movies. Perhaps we can trade some off some time. My son has a DVD burner and he is always making copies of movies for me, so I have a pretty fair collection.

Where abouts in the East Bay are you?
Mike

Renderking Fisk

Practically Family
Hey, Andy?¢‚Ǩ¬¶

I guess we?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢re just a bunch of Anachronisms?¢‚Ǩ¬¶ living in the here and now while wishing we could incorporate items and mentality from that era into our lives.

We don?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t have cable anymore because of the utter garbage that?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s on 90% of the time. What we do miss is Turner Classic Movies. AMC is dead to me after what they?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ve done to it. If I had to choose between a contemporary and a classic movie that was filmed between 1920 and 1955 I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m going to pick the classic almost every single time.

They made them all better back then?¢‚Ǩ¬¶

Wild Root

Gone Home
Greetings, Wild Root here!

I have read the list and agree that it is a good start. However, I have had TCM from time to time and have seen so many movies that aren?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t released. This saddens me. Some of my favorite flicks are not available on DVD or VHS. So, if any one has TCM (Turner Classic Movies) Tape what ever comes on that was made from 1925 -1949. Some of my favorites are from 1933 to 1943.

Now Dr. J had some good artists listed! We need comedy! I never have laughed so hard or so much then at these comedy immortals like Keaton, the Marx Bros, and so on. They are to me the best!

James Stewart, Cary Grant, Fred Astare, Humphrey Bogart, James Cagney, Dick Powell, are all so good, but lets not forget the lovely ladies of the era! Ginger Rogers, Myrna Loy, Norma Shearer, Hedy Lamarr, Ester Williams and the list goes on and on!

I have recorded some rare films from the 30?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s off of TCM and I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m glad I did.

Oh MK, if you want to have a movie night some time soon, let me know. Matt and I will bring my videos and we can watch some rare stuff.

Happy Thanksgiving!

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
Originally posted by Michael Mallory
"Raw Deal" (1948)

I watched 3/4 of it. I didn't care for it.....except Marsha Hunt. It was great to finally see her in a movie. I have her book, The Way We Wore. It documents all the different clothes she wore in her films of the 30's-40's. Probably one of the best books for womens clothes of that era. She is quite a dish. :)

I rented the serial Secret Agent X-9 with Loyd Bridges and Key Luke. I have watched a few episodes. Pretty good so far.

LuckyLighter

Familiar Face
"Dead Again"
"Detour"
"The Dark Corner"
"Detective Story"
"Out of the Past"
"His Girl Friday"
"Union Station"

I'm surprised no one has mentioned "The Lady from Shanghai". And I always liked "Last Man Standing" with Bruce Willis.

"Sky Captain" just came out, too. I know it's gotten mixed reviews, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Jake

One of the Regulars
I'll add the African Queen, It's a wonderfull life, God is my copilot, , The treasure of the Sierra Madre

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk