• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

Can anyone ID this hat?

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Lulu-in-Ny, Jun 5, 2008.

1. I just watched a movie called Blast of Silence with my boyfriend, and we couldn't figure out what kind of hat the lead wears throughout the film. I hunted around online for stills, but I only found a couple:
    Is it a porkpie? (It has an almost perfectly round top/bash(?)) But the front edge tilts down. It just doesn't look quite like any hat I've seen, and now I'm curious. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
  2. Magus

Magus Practically Family

3. It does look a lot like that one; could someone just take a hat like that and, through much conditioning, make the front tip forward? I know I have a hat that I worked on until it got the angle I wanted, but it was a woman's straw hat. (Sorry- my knowledge of the inner workings of men's hats is limited. [huh] )
    I went looking through the hats there, and the top of the movie hat looks more like this one:
    Don't know why this is becoming such a quest; I just need to know...
  4. My guess is it's a hand-bashed porkpie. Doing the bash by hand might account for the forward slant, either by choice or simply because human's are not perfect.
  5. GWD

GWD One Too Many

looks like a Porkpie to me.

Check out this thread

It may help.
  6. Thank you guys! It's definitely a porkpie. Now that I've looked closely at them, They're a much cooler looking than I had originally thought.
    A little education's a wondrous thing...:D