Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can anyone ID this hat?

Lulu-in-Ny

A-List Customer
I just watched a movie called Blast of Silence with my boyfriend, and we couldn't figure out what kind of hat the lead wears throughout the film. I hunted around online for stills, but I only found a couple:
20080424070110_blast_silence.gif
blastofsilence22.jpg

Is it a porkpie? (It has an almost perfectly round top/bash(?)) But the front edge tilts down. It just doesn't look quite like any hat I've seen, and now I'm curious. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Lulu-in-Ny

A-List Customer
It does look a lot like that one; could someone just take a hat like that and, through much conditioning, make the front tip forward? I know I have a hat that I worked on until it got the angle I wanted, but it was a woman's straw hat. (Sorry- my knowledge of the inner workings of men's hats is limited. [huh] )
Thanks!
Edit:
I went looking through the hats there, and the top of the movie hat looks more like this one:
C0000228895_2.jpg

Don't know why this is becoming such a quest; I just need to know...

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
My guess is it's a hand-bashed porkpie. Doing the bash by hand might account for the forward slant, either by choice or simply because human's are not perfect.

Lulu-in-Ny

A-List Customer
Thank you guys! It's definitely a porkpie. Now that I've looked closely at them, They're a much cooler looking than I had originally thought.
A little education's a wondrous thing...:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21