Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you Help Date this Stetson Box?

clubwitsend

Practically Family
Hello All...

So I went to one of my favorite vintage stores back home in Ohio to shop...and ended up walking out with an old Stetson hat box...mine's in better condition than this photo (found on ebay), but can anyone tell me what era it's from???

4e66_1.JPG

Thanks!!!

Diane

Viper Man

Banned
I have a box that looks similar that came with a hat that I've determined is from the late 40s-early 50s. It's not an exact science. [huh]

MattJH

One Too Many
Definitely not an exact science. I've found that if you find eBay auctions for hats with their original boxes, it can help, but sometimes even those are inaccurate - while the hatbox may be of the same maker, it may not be the original box that the hat came in. To make matters more difficult, it appears that some stores would give you a box from a different maker -- a Churchill in a Champ box, a Portis in a Wormser box, a Penney's Marathon in a Marshall Fields box, etc.

clubwitsend

Practically Family
Viper Man said:
I have a box that looks similar that came with a hat that I've determined is from the late 40s-early 50s. It's not an exact science. [huh]

That's about when I was guessing....

I didnt buy a hat with it at all....I just love collecting hat boxes, and got one for my guy cos he loves Stetsons!

MattJH

One Too Many
I just found a picture of a Stetson Whippet still in its open crown shape and original $10.00 price tag with its original hatbox:

StetsonWhippet3.jpg

Same box as yours. Definitely 40's. Early 50's at the latest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21