Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you help me date this item??

Viviene

Vendor
You're right Helen. There was a resurgence of 1940s style clothing back in the 1970s and a resurgence of the 1950s look in the 1980s. The way things are constructed, the fabrics used, metal zippers versus nylon, pinked seams, etc. are all different ways to try to figure out how old these things are. The manufacturer's labels are also a way to do this. Some labels have changed over the years and that's why using the Vintage Fashion Guild label resource is great as well.

Also getting the provenance from the person you get the item from is helpful as well but sometimes this is not accurate as well. When I have questions about the age of something I go to the VFG board to ask for help. The more you educate yourself the better you are able to judge these things. :)

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
That dress is pretty cool! I think it's now safe to say my dress dates from the late 50s or early 60s. The more I look at it, the more I can see it.

Thanks gals!

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Just to add my 2 cents worth, I'd say 50s from the line, material and the buttons. :)

It's true that the more you look at things, the more you see. I spotted a Utility dress for a friend (WW2 label on British clothes) that looks really 30s. We said, must have been for an 'Older' lady of the era who wanted a style she felt comfortable with, rather than the latest 'mode' of the day.

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
Can someone help me date this dress?

Can someone help me date this dress? I really want to wear it today, but I don't know what era of hat to place with it.

6409.jpg

This dress stumps me. It is longer then most 1940's dresses, it is made out of silk crepe, and is seems to be cut on the bias, no zipper, only buttons, and one snap closure at the waist. The thing that stumps me about this dress is that it has shoulder pads, but they were white and seemed to be put in later because the white fabric does not match the dress fabric. My thinking is this dress is probably late 1930's, anyone have any ideas?

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Looks more 40s to me. Early 40s. Possibly late 30s. Maybe the long length was for more formal ocassions?

You'll probably get a better answer than mine, though...I'm no expert! :eek:

Caledonia

Practically Family
I'm also no expert, but here are some thoughts. Assuming it's pre-50s and not something from the 70s, it's cut on the bias which indicates 30s as bias cuts would be too material consuming for the war years. The shoulder pads could be replacements so that doesn't tell us anything. The collar looks very wide which could be 30s again but doesn't exclude round about 40. The shirtwaist was popular throughout so that doesn't help. Silk crepe makes me think 30s through 40s, but the whole line of the skirt would make me exclude 46 onwards as we head towards the New Look. Are you sure it is from way back and not a 70s/80s garment. If you are, then I'd guess at roundabout 38 and customised. I'm about to be completely overturned... I can just feel it! :D

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Caledonia said:
I'm also no expert, but here are some thoughts. Assuming it's pre-50s and not something from the 70s, it's cut on the bias which indicates 30s as bias cuts would be too material consuming for the war years. The shoulder pads could be replacements so that doesn't tell us anything. The collar looks very wide which could be 30s again but doesn't exclude round about 40. The shirtwaist was popular throughout so that doesn't help. Silk crepe makes me think 30s through 40s, but the whole line of the skirt would make me exclude 46 onwards as we head towards the New Look. Are you sure it is from way back and not a 70s/80s garment. If you are, then I'd guess at roundabout 38 and customised. I'm about to be completely overturned... I can just feel it! :D

No overturning here. I was thinking 70's too. It's kind of hard to see that it is bias cut, I guess it's the form that it's on, but the skirt looks fuller. That's what made me think it was a 30's revival done in the 70's.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
To me this does look early, but the buttons are the key. The main thing that would tell that this was 70's would be looking on the inside if the fabric still seems period. Are there overlocked edges? And is there a care label? or even company label?
If it's vintage, I would put this sometime between 39-42, based on the neckline, the yoke, and the colors inside the sleeves. To me this seems to be more of a loungey hostess gown style dress, not really an evening gown, since the shirtwaist style seems more relaxed, going past the waist, but in a fancier fabric.
I could be totally wrong, but these were my first impressions :)

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
Daisy Buchanan said:
No overturning here. I was thinking 70's too. It's kind of hard to see that it is bias cut, I guess it's the form that it's on, but the skirt looks fuller. That's what made me think it was a 30's revival done in the 70's.

The skirt is actually pretty bias cut, it's pretty narrow on me. Wasn't the fabric used in the 1970's blends and not pure silk?

This one is hand sewn for the most part, which lends me to think it is earlier. It also looked like it was shortened, so it very well might have been a hostess gown.

Lauren

Yes, you are correct, it is 1930's. If it is you who got it you got an amazing deal! I have a coat almost exactly the same and they're very versitile :)

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
Thanks Lauren :) Do you think I should shorten it to knee length, or keep in long and just wait for an event to wear it? I can't believe I got it for 16.50, I was looking at one just the other day at a vintage store for 185.

Lauren

No, in the 70's they had silk and they also did bias cuts- they really harkened back to the 30's for inspiration. But if there's no care tags, no serged edges, and it looks homemade- I'd say it is authentic vintage :)

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well Caledonia, it looks like the two of us have been overturned!! But, without seeing the inside of the dress and tags if it has any, it's really difficult to tell.

miss sis said:
Looks late 30s to me. Definitely doesn't look 70s!

There were quite a few dresses made in the 70's that were reminiscent if not exact replicas of dresses from the 30's. I have a couple, and if I didn't see the tag and the seams, I would have thought them to be genuine vintage. So there's a lot of 70's clothing on ebay and other places that sellers try to pass off as earlier. From the pictures they post, the dresses look genuine. Then you get them and they have modern seams and labeling. It's quite a drag.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ