Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you help me date this item??

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
I certainly would not alter such a gorgeous, vintage peice. If you really feel you must shorten it, I would have it gently TACKED up to about calf/knee length so that it may be let down at any time. Perhaps even find a good seamstress, and if the lining is strong enough they can sew a series of loops on the bottom hem and up inside the coat. Then you can take some sort of lacing and hook the loops together for when you want it short, and let it out when you want it full length. I would just say use hook and eyes to do this but they may snag whatever you're wearing underneath.

Please don't let the cheap price of this peice cheapen it's value. You'll make us all gasp if we think of you whacking off the bottom of a silk velvet vintage item!!:eek:

Nikki

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
You're welcome, Nicoletta.

KittyT, a friend of mine found a patent for an early overlock machine from the 1910's, but I don't believe it really came into use for ready to wear until the late 50's? I may be mistaken on this, though. Most clothing from the 70's and on has overlocked stitches if it's manufactured for sure, though.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I agree, definately don't alter it. On top of it being original at it's length, I don't think I've ever seen an authentic coat like this at a shorter length. All that I can recollect have been full length. And yes, stellar deal. I think I got mine for 75 and I knew I got it for cheaper than the average. Keeping it it's original length will also help keep it's value :)

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
This looks early 40's. It does not look 70's at all to me, but perhaps the buttons have been replaced at some point? Would you want to take a couple of pictures of the finishing? The hem and inside tailoring?

Tinseltown

A-List Customer
Can you date this hat, please?

hat.jpg

Rockapin-up

A-List Customer
I would say late 50's to early 60's, I think I saw something like that on I love Lucy, whey they went to Hollywood and were looking at the models. But I could be wrong [huh]

exquisitebones

A-List Customer
help me date this evening gown?

Ok, So I bought this like 6 years ago as a prom dress... and never wore it.
but i got it for about 65$ at a vintage store.. they lady said it was from the 20s. But i really Dont think it is.. but I am totally unsure.

its really long and in wonderful condition, no holes in the lace that i can see.
its an empire waist (i looked pregnant :eusa_doh: so i never wore it)
and elastic around the wrists to make poofy sleeves. the material tag is so withered adn faded i have no idea what its made of :(

pictures:
Oh they turned out crappy and dark.. well, its sheer black lace on the arms and back, witha champagne coloured slip sew into the inside
IMG_4301.jpg
IMG_4302.jpg

and here is the TAG:
IMG_4305.jpg

and here is the stitching:
it looks like a newer serged edge?
IMG_4306.jpg

HELP!

exquisitebones

A-List Customer
BegintheBeguine said:
Oh, please don't dismiss all items from the 70s. :eek: They were still making beautiful things for all the ladies who were not hippies or disco queens. This gown is beautiful. It looks well made. I'd be thrilled to have a gown like that. :)

oh i am not upset, I was jsut wondering. I am probably going to sell the dress. as It never gets use in my wardrobe, and someone should own it. its exquisite...

I wanted to have more background on it so i was not making stuff up lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ