• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

Discussion in 'Beauty' started by Miss Peach, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Miss Peach

Miss Peach One of the Regulars

I am in good shape, but the curse of the cankle has followed me throughout my life. Wearing anything with an ankle strap never looks right on my legs! Do you ladies have cankles, and if so, how do you deal?

It seems superficial, but if you have 'em, you KNOW!
  2. lframe

lframe One of the Regulars

I don't have cankles, but I have a wide foot and large calves. I feel your pain babe.
  3. Juliet

Juliet A-List Customer

I have wide feet, too. *sob*
    I don't have cankles, but i know nothing with an ankle strap suits me, either. I guess the only solution is to throw envious looks at those who can wear them! :D
    Jokes aside, I think the best thing to do is to try on lots of shoes, even those you'd never thought would suit you, and select the most flattering ones. [huh]
  4. sadkinson

sadkinson New in Town

I have cankles AND large calves even though I am petite. I haven't figured out how to deal yet, so I don't wear anything that shows my legs. :(
  5. lareine

lareine A-List Customer

I don't have cankles but like the previous poster I have wide feet and strong muscular calves that never fit into long boots or pretty slim shoes. The pain of straps digging into the sides of my feet just isn't worth it. I assume the pain is similar for ankle straps around cankles, unless they're adjustable. It sucks! I love my saddle shoes but some outfits just demand something with a dainty heel or a knee-high boot. Sigh.
  6. ThemThereEyes

ThemThereEyes One of the Regulars

I'm the same as the others that don't have true cankles, but rather strong, thick calves and wider feet. I find I can wear some knee high boots, but they have to be the ones that stretch. As for ankle straps, I tend to wear ones with wider straps or straps that sit higher, more toward my calf than lower toward my ankle. I think it's about drawing the eye to where it will elongate. Just try some and see what works. I am sure there must be a few you can work. :)
  7. Grant Fan

Grant Fan Practically Family

I have wide fee high arches thus making the rise of many shoes too tight not only in the width but in the depth of the shoe. Oh and I have danced most of my life so while my caves are far from fat, they are very muscular and don't fit into many boots. I do have a defined ankle but I find that ankle straps do nothing for me, so I avoid them
  8. sadkinson

sadkinson New in Town

I actually didn't even feel self-conscious about my ankles and calves until someone else pointed out that they were large. Jerk. I avoid wearing most skirts because of my ankles and calves, now, but I think wearing a length that is a couple of inches below my knees and then high high heals may elongate my legs enough to create the optical illusion of longer, leaner legs.
  9. m_luvsartdeco

m_luvsartdeco One of the Regulars

People can be so rude! I know what you mean...I have very thick legs and ankles...and someone I barely knew at the time thought it was ok to point it out...booo.
  10. ThemThereEyes

ThemThereEyes One of the Regulars

I hope you answered that with something like, "Hmmm, the difference between us is that I can't choose the size of my ankles and you choose whether or not to be a jerk. Too bad you choose unwisely." Ugh, what a rude dude.
  11. lframe

Same here. I have my Grandfather's arches. While I love that, it's harsh when I'm trying on shoes. I also danced and played competitive softball, so have large muscular calves as well. It's hard to get a good fit.
  12. magnolia76

magnolia76 One of the Regulars

Nude color shoes are supposed to make your legs look longer, and the strap will probably be less noticeable!
  13. lframe

I just read that in the latest More magazine! With examples of shoes.
  14. Flicka

Flicka One Too Many

I have the opposite problem; my ankles are so thin that straps quite often don't fit me. I always have to make new holes in order to be able to tighten it enough.

I also have really wide feet, so there's the slight duck-effect to my lower extremities...