Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Captain Woodrow F Call

The books, particularly Lonesome Dove itself, really develop the characters out much more than the movies had time to. If you've seen the movie that many times and have the characters fixed in your mind, you will enjoy the greater depth of the book. The movie stayed pretty true to the book, including a lot of character's lines word-for-word, and it isn't hard at all to hear Woodrow and Gus "speaking" as you read.

They are long books, but if you have the time I think you will enjoy them and that they won't spoil the movie for you at all.
Agreed. And you can read them in order & see your version of characters in each book.

Yahoody

One Too Many
The books, particularly Lonesome Dove itself, really develop the characters out much more than the movies had time to. If you've seen the movie that many times and have the characters fixed in your mind, you will enjoy the greater depth of the book. The movie stayed pretty true to the book, including a lot of character's lines word-for-word, and it isn't hard at all to hear Woodrow and Gus "speaking" as you read.

They are long books, but if you have the time I think you will enjoy them and that they won't spoil the movie for you at all.

Much appreciated. I'll get them off Amazon tonight.

I've always enjoyed reading books after seeing movies or TV shows based on them. Gives me a clear mental picture of the characters. The other way around leaves me disappointed a good many times.
I might generally agree but in a case such as the Lonesome Dove series where there are two prequels & a sequel also made into TV miniseries with different actors, I would prefer to read the books in order first so the characters are consistent in my mind at least. There were 5 different actors who played Woodrow Call for example.

Another example would be something along the lines of reading an Elmer Kelton novel long before it was made into a screenplay/movie. Doesn't mean I don't enjoy the portrayal of the characters on screen, but I also enjoyed their portrayal in my mind long before any movie.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I've always enjoyed reading books after seeing movies or TV shows based on them. Gives me a clear mental picture of the characters. The other way around leaves me disappointed a good many times.
I had that problem with the first of the Game of Thrones novels. The publishers for whatever reason had put the list of characters, which is long, at the back of the book instead of the front. I couldn't find it, and had trouble keeping the characters' relationships straight. Then I watched the first few TV episodes on DVD, and could understand who was what and why.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
When I read them, my mind's eye saw Duvall & Jones, even in their younger years.

Yes, and that was helped, for me, by the scene where they walk into the bar with the surly bartender, and there is a picture of them on the wall when they were young(er) Texas Rangers.

Of course, seeing Lonesome Dove before reading any of the books, and Duvall and Jones being such strong actors helped make any of the other actors to portray them in subsequent productions pale in comparison.

Last edited:

Woodtroll

One Too Many
Of course, seeing Lonesome Dove before reading any of the books, and Duvall and Jones being such strong actors helped make any of the other actors to portray them in subsequent productions pale in comparison.

Isn't that the truth! In a cast of outstanding actors and actresses, these two really stood out for me as well. When I think of either actor, these roles are what first comes to my mind. I have to admit, though, my favorite of all was an actress I hadn't seen before - Diane Lane as Miss Lorena! ;)

I'm pretty sure Lonesome Dove was the first one written in the series, and although I liked the others too, this book's storyline is still my favorite of the pack.

Several of you mentioned earlier the personality differences between Gus and Woodrow. When I first saw the series as a young man, Gus was easily my favorite character of the two. After years as a fire service officer and even moreso lately after leading the millenials, I'm probably a lot more like Woodrow, and respect his character much more. Time (age? wisdom? experience?) does indeed change your perspective on yourself and others!

To bring this back onto the hat topic, does anyone have a picture of Miss Lorena in a hat?? :D

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Isn't that the truth! In a cast of outstanding actors and actresses, these two really stood out for me as well. When I think of either actor, these roles are what first comes to my mind. I have to admit, though, my favorite of all was an actress I hadn't seen before - Diane Lane as Miss Lorena! ;)

I was completely in love with her during my first watching of the series in 1989, and I can say that I'm still pretty well smitten. :)

Her character was in such a no-win, multi-directional, unrequited love situation that I really felt bad for her.

To bring this back onto the hat topic, does anyone have a picture of Miss Lorena in a hat?? :D

I have not been able to find one, but Ms. Lane seems to be hat fan. Here's one:

Diane+Lane+1st+Historic+Health+Summit+Kick+kYAfoG3oQgbl.jpg

Last edited:

niv

Familiar Face
The biggest problem I have with seeing a movie AFTER reading the book is simple: my imagination doesn't have a budget; movie makers do.

Cornshucker77

Call Me a Cab

I'm pretty sure Lonesome Dove was the first one written in the series, and although I liked the others too, this book's storyline is still my favorite of the pack.

Several of you mentioned earlier the personality differences between Gus and Woodrow. When I first saw the series as a young man, Gus was easily my favorite character of the two. After years as a fire service officer and even moreso lately after leading the millenials, I'm probably a lot more like Woodrow, and respect his character much more. Time (age? wisdom? experience?) does indeed change your perspective on yourself and others!

Diane Lane in The Virginian. I've always liked her as well. Beautiful woman.
lane_virginian.jpg

Yahoody

One Too Many
Always liked the green hat from the last episode.

wood.jpg

Woodrow?

Tommy Lee Jones
John Voight
James Garner
Jonny Lee Miller

I grew to appreciate them all. But as good as Tommy Lee was (and I think he was the best) he wasn't mean enough. I thought John Voight did a better job portraying Call's personality as I imagined it. Figures as I really don't like John Voight as a person or a actor. And his hat obviously wasn't as cool :)

call1%2B%25282%2529.jpg

Always liked the green hat from the last episode.

wood.jpg

Woodrow?

Tommy Lee Jones
John Voight
James Garner
Jonny Lee Miller

I grew to appreciate them all. But as good as Tommy Lee was (and I think he was the best) he wasn't mean enough. I thought John Voight did a better job portraying Call's personality as I imagined it. Figures as I really don't like John Voight as a person or a actor. And his hat obviously wasn't as cool :)

call1%2B%25282%2529.jpg
Plus Keith Urban played Call in Comanche Moon.

Woodtroll

One Too Many
Plus Keith Urban played Call in Comanche Moon.

I think that was actually Karl Urban - I re-watched Comanche Moon a couple weeks ago when I was laid up sick. He and Steve Zahn, who played Gus, did pretty well copying the mannerisms of the original Gus and Woodrow (Duvall and Jones), but it just wasn't the same for me.

Yahoody, I never got the sense of Woodrow being "mean", just a very serious and terse man. But I read the book before seeing the movie. The older I get, and the more I work with the younger generations, the more I favor Woodrow's character over Gus. On a side note, it's good to see you posting again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points