Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cary Grant is not a "hatman"?

Stoney

Practically Family
Feraud said:
I am no expert but have some hat experience. My hat creases are generally not symmetrical. I crease and wear 'em. Most of my vintage hats were purchased pre-creased so there is nothing for me to do but wear them.
All that fiddling, steaming, and trying to achieve a perfectly aligned hat is unnecessary.

Now that's the right attitude to have about creases.

Slouch-Hat

Familiar Face
If I looked like Cary Grant, I'd probably not wear a hat or anything else to, in any way, hide my face. Not that I wear hats to blot out my looks, but you get my meaning.

Gene's right; some of us here do tend to baby our hats, unlike how they were treated in the golden era, but collectors of any items tend to treat them more gingerly than people who simply own the same kinds of things. For example: Anyone ever put baseball cards in the spokes of your bike? But I've tried to adopt a different philosophy as of joining the Lounge. So many of you not only love your hats, but you also wear them, allowing them to take on personality and become loved and broken in. I say, unless it's an antique or something that needs to stay in perfect shape (fancy-dress wear, etc.) then wear your hat and let it develop. That doesn't mean you shouldn't take care of your things, but it does mean it's okay to relax. You all have taught me that.

Oh, and Josephine; your dad looks a lot like Cary Grant.

Michael...

Bird Lives

A-List Customer
Bumping this one back up...too relevant.

I have read, where CG did think his head and neck were too big....But he did have certain hat styles that he liked...

He almost always removed any side dents, and he almost always went with lower crowned hats...

And if I was a gambling man, I would bet, Cary was a Porkpie guy...

image.gif

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Need I post more? He was a sporty, fun loving cat, who showed an affinity for Boaters when he was younger, and porkpies.....I'm thinking maybe he was a hat guy as much as everyone else at that time....I just think his directors and Cary didn't always agree on the right hat for the role. Therefore more often than not, it was agreed to just not have the character wear a hat...

And at that time I have read, quite often actors would wear their own clothes in the films. And one thing producers loved about Cary Grant was his fantastic wardrobe...And he knew what he looked good in, both suits and hats...

Last edited:

Bird Lives

A-List Customer
And whether this LOW crown fedora was his pick, my bet it was Hitchcock's....I think Hitch thought it looked like a hat a Spy would wear....If Cary had his way, I bet those side dents would disappear, but he did seem to dig low crowns after the 30's...

Either way, I do think it's a great hat! And perfect for this character....and like the most famous movie spy of all, a few years later, he carries it more than wears it...

image.jpg

emigran

Practically Family
Bumping this one back up...too relevant.

I have read, where CG did think his head and neck were too big....But he did have certain hat styles that he liked...

He almost always removed any side dents, and he almost always went with lower crowned hats...

And if I was a gambling man, I would bet, Cary was a Porkpie guy...

View attachment 65368
View attachment 65367
View attachment 65366
View attachment 65369

Need I post more? He was a sporty, fun loving cat, who showed an affinity for Boaters when he was younger, and porkpies.....I'm thinking maybe he was a hat guy as much as everyone else at that time....I just think his directors and Cary didn't always agree on the right hat for the role. Therefore more often than not, it was agreed to just not have the character wear a hat...

And at that time I have read, quite often actors would wear their own clothes in the films. And one thing producers loved about Cary Grant was his fantastic wardrobe...And he knew what he looked good in, both suits and hats...

YES HE SEEMED TO ALWAYS BE FITTED WITH A LOWER CROWN, NO DENTS, NARROW-ISH BRIM... I ALWAYAS WONDERED WHY HE DIDN'T GO FOR THE BOGEY, GABLE TRACY STYLE CHAPEAU...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112