Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cascade Plunge

Cascade Plunge was a huge (80 x 220 feet) public swimming pool located on the east side of Birmingham, AL. It was opened back in the mid 20s and lasted into the 70s. It was fed by a natural spring, and the water cascaded down a concrete waterfall at one end of the pool. There was also a ballroom at the facility that hosted everything from swing bands to sock hops. I remember going to a few punk rock shows there back in the 80s, after the pool part had closed, but the hall was still available for rent.

Here are some pics from back in the day.
cda60382cfecab33d21533cf8f72afab.jpg

097c3a9726a9e5f6bb4ef7d3cc8fa0fb.jpg

e197f23ef8728f83cf80e6cfd132d788.jpg

In this last photo you can see the waterfall at the right of the shot.

fb258ae05ac17a1c8b66c8cb5ab33e75.jpg

Here is a pic of what's left of the waterfall, peaking through a hole in the fence.
a3e313f948c0377510bc005b11a2b1a7.jpg

The front entrance. Looks like it was redone in the 60s or 70s.
0bfc579b545d43a0c8efaa26c7d4a51f.jpg

The remains of the Arnold Palmer miniature golf course, also on the property.
The whole facility is currently for sale to anyone with 1.9 million and a passion for the past.

Cascade Plunge was a huge (80 x 220 feet) public swimming pool located on the east side of Birmingham, AL. It was opened back in the mid 20s and lasted into the 70s. It was fed by a natural spring, and the water cascaded down a concrete waterfall at one end of the pool. There was also a ballroom at the facility that hosted everything from swing bands to sock hops. I remember going to a few punk rock shows there back in the 80s, after the pool part had closed, but the hall was still available for rent.

Here are some pics from back in the day.

Wow! Dale, why am I now just seeing this? What a spectacular place! That pool looks enormous. Shame the place closed down. Is it still for sale, or did someone buy the property?

EngProf

Practically Family
There was also a "Cascade Plunge" in Nashville. Whether the name was a coincidence, or whether there was a connection, I don't know.
Ours was located at the State Fairgrounds and had water slides and etc. I don't know the dimensions, but it was huge. It was a great place to go swimming and it was a real treat to go there.
Unfortunately it closed down during the segregation/integration battle of the '60's. It has since been torn down and covered up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana