Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Caxton cafe

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Caxton Beaver Twenty

Received my first Caxton hat today, and thought I would start a thread to gather together examples of hats from this fine maker.

I am very impressed with my Caxton Beaver Twenty. Felt is dense, smooth, substantial, and eminently moldable. The front pinches hold a nearly razor sharp edge without steam. Condition is as new, with no discernible wear or insect damage. It came with an old, unmarked box which is likely not the original, but I have already secured a nice, original Caxton box to store it in.

This is a 'Bold Look' hat with grand proportions. The hat is finished to a very high standard, with interesting and high quality interior appointments. The sweatband, similar to those seen on some Maclachlans and my Trimble, as well as the very fine grade of silk satin liner trimmed with blue piping around the liner tip, distinguish this hat from those of its Stetson and Hat Corporation Of America competitors.

Incredibly comfortable, and with perfect fit at size 7-1/2. It is yet again another vintage hat that fits out of the box as well as my custom VS. I think I need another Caxton...

Crown: 6-1/2" open, and a full 6" as creased.
Ribbon: 2".
Brim: 3", with self-felted, 'Cavanagh' edge.
Sweatband: 2".

Last edited:

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here's a listing I posted in Classifieds for a gray Caxton.
It didn't sell (though the other one I listed did) and I still have it.
Since it's such a nice hat and a friend likes to borrow it, I'm perfectly
glad to have it.

Gray Caxton Ten, Ribbon 1 3/4", brim a hair under 2 3/8".
Brim size edited because a sharp eyed Lounger actually
noticed that the brims on these hats are a touch larger than 2 1/4". Amazing.

2335968121_0dacf44cfb.jpg

Cushionaire sweatband. Note the slight water stain on the
brim binding. I imagine it would come off, but never tried.
Note that you can see the stitching on the brim binding under
the brim.
2336813456_16ba9e3af4.jpg

Purchased in Battle Creek, Michigan. Note the sweat barrier
between the sweatband and felt. Nice quality hat.
2336812062_5b77d0532b.jpg

2336810722_6bf0ebf612.jpg

Note the contour of the brim binding. Rounded. Note that you can't
see stitching for this side of the binding, but you can see a decorative
line of stitching that is the stitching from the other side.
2336809342_0626aec9eb.jpg

2336807910_2a685653b6.jpg

Brim binding bottom.
2336806344_10e47bff51.jpg

Brim binding top.
2335969805_464f688c77.jpg

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Nice hat! Wish I'd seen it first (it's my size, too)!

Thanks, Blackthorn!

Wow. Nicer than the listing. Does it say "self-felted" or "Cavanagh" anywhere?

Thank you, feltfan, I appreciate the kind remarks. There is no reference to "Cavanagh Edge", "Self-Felted Edge", or a proprietary version thereof anywhere on the hat.

Your Caxton is splendid! Beautiful, with interesting details.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Delectans; Thanks for sharing your Caxton hat. The thread caught my eye as I have a "Claxton" custom guitar. That by itself was enough to open the thread. The details that you showcased in your pics and text really pique my eyes to the differences in hats. When I see a fine hat I recognize it, but it only after a bit of time reading the forum (threads like this) that I am understanding what I am seeing. The liner and leather band details are well done and showcased.

The hats, Feltfan's and yours are very "fine" hats. Eric -

EggHead

Practically Family
Caxton Ten, inside label handwritten "Bold Look"
Has union tag with red number "40"
Ribbon is actually dark purple, but can appear as dark blue in some light.
Crown open is 6.25", brim 2.75".

2rq0odk.jpg

mr7dvt.jpg

2lc4fsx.jpg

Notice the edge binding stitching detail. I have not seen modern hatters do this type.
11aej5l.jpg

Letters and logo on the sweatband are embossed.
347thxe.jpg

4pt43r.jpg

2s0bvv9.jpg

This tag was attached to inside of the sweatband, I removed it. There is a small leftover that is glued to the leather, didn't want to risk removing that.
14aj7kj.jpg

Last edited:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Nice catch, EggHead. I was watching that one and thought to myself, "a bold look hat if I ever saw one". They don't come up too often. The backfolded bound brim is perfectly executed.
6 1/4" open crown, that's quite something. Does anyone know whether the exaggerated crown height is also part of the bold look hat? It would make sense, considering that bold look also meant more generous proportions in suits, ties and shoes. Apart from that, it's definitely the highly asymmetrical brim binding, showing lots of ribbon in the rear view, plus the, well, bold felt/ ribbon color combination that constitutes the late 40s bold look in hats.

See also the thread April, 1948: Meet THE BOLD LOOK

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points