Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cheap, sturdy closet solutions

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I ran out of closet space.

Thought about buying something like this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Honey-Can-Do-Chrome-Adjustable-Hanging-Closet-Rod-HNG-01816/202864583

15b9a943ed78162acee0b65dcdbcd143.jpg

But couldn't find info on weight capacity. Shopped around, read reviews, a few suggested they are on the flimsy side.

Decided to make my own.

- 24" of 1/2" galvanized pipe
- 2 x 1/2" to 3/4" galvanized pipe L-joints
- 96" of 3/8" vinyl coated wire rope
- 4 zinc plated wire rope clips

Assembly instructions:
1. Thread pipe elbows onto pipe.
2. Run wire rope through pipe.
3. Loop over existing coat rack pipe in your closet, and secure using the wire rope clips.
4. Center the pipe and adjust until cables are straight and pipe is level.

Assembly took maybe 15 minutes. Only tool required was one wrench. No cutting required.
Parts cost <$20.
Wire cable is rated for 184lbs capacity.
24" pipe will comfortably hold about 10 short jackets, and takes about half of the width of the closet so I can still hang full length coats BECAUSE THERE'S MORE TO LIFE THAN JUST JACKETS.

1fc78f9501150ff1e945e9635907a89b.jpg
996cd137b52d4e19451a6e3fcdc554f2.jpg
5e76e4583ca98cd7934c958e1021f7d0.jpg

Last edited:

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Probably the elbow joints are optional, but I figured it'd help to prevent the lip of the pipe from biting into the vinyl coating on the wire rope.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Amazing what some good old iron pipe will do, eh?

All of our closet rods in the old farmhouse I grew up in in Illinois were black pipe, screwed into studs at either end with a 4" flange. Not fashion friendly, but strong and never failed.

Amazing what some good old iron pipe will do, eh?

All of our closet rods in the old farmhouse I grew up in in Illinois were black pipe, screwed into studs at either end with a 4" flange. Not fashion friendly, but strong and never failed.
I have those in two bedrooms in the heart of Ravenswood. That's a time tested solution Randy! Your description made me LOL and smile. If it ain't broke...

Fonzie

One Too Many
Thanks :) It was so easy to do, and it increases my closet space by +50%, which means I don't have as much reason to thin my herd now, so I thought I'd share it.

Problem solved, now get out there and buy more jackets for us to enjoy seeing them.
Go get them, tiger! [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oskar

One of the Regulars
How many of your cloths do you actually. many people have a lot of cloths they just never wear.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
How many of your cloths do you actually. many people have a lot of cloths they just never wear.

Lol, a lot. A lot a lot.

I know I have too much stuff, and not just jackets. Every drawer and closet I have is overfull of stuff. I'm pretty sentimental/attached to a lot of my clothes, and have a lot of clothes that I keep for occasions that hardly ever arise, but if they ever do I'm set. I also have a huge amount of variety and redundancy in the stuff I wear all the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk