Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chrome or vegetable tanned ?

Swoosed

One of the Regulars
Maj.Nick Danger said:
What color and what type of leather is it?
I have a russet horse hide U.S. Authentic that is the same color underneath the finish. I know it for a fact because I removed a large area of the finish with acetone, then sand paper to prepare it for nose art. Nothing under there except the slightly lighter color russet.
It was the historical russet horsehide. The pigment looked like paint flaking off and there was a dark undercoat. Not what I expected to happen for a $500 jacket. Sent it back for a refund. They suposedly use Italian horsehides.
I am sur that this is not the same tanning proceedure practiced in WW2 as Aero has claimed to have duplicated. Totaly different hide.

Peacoat

Bartender
A2_Junkie said:
Hey Peacoat, it certainly does look good. Do you have any closeups?

-Peter

It's not my jacket. I ordered a Highwayman from Aero on Friday. Mark Moye sent the pic to me yesterday when I told him about the discussion in this thread about the funny color the chrome tanning process sometimes causes. He said he has never seen an Aero chrome tanned jacket turn anything but well broken in.

I posted the photo to illustrate what a well broken in Aero looks like (as if many of you guys out there don't have at least one!). That one is on ebay, by the way. I would bid on it, if it were my size. It's a size 40 and the number is 260088236384

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk