Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Churchill Beaver 100 Vicuna

This Churchill western was sold through Neiman-Marcus in the 1950's. I came across this hat shortly after it was listed with a BIN option. It arrived last week and I had a chance to take some photos today.

The felt quality is quite extraordinary. I was reminded of JTL's post for his Dobbs 100 - opening the box and picking it up for the first time gave a rush that the hat lovers here can appreciate.

vicuna14.jpg

vicuna7.jpg

It shares many of the qualities of the Stetson 100, but it is softer, smoother and lighter than my early 1960's Stetson examples. The 2 3/4 raw brim and 5 1/2" open crown seem just right for a dressy western.

vicuna9.jpg

The hat appears to have been worn little if at all. There are no stains or indications that a cattleman crease or any other crease had been applied. I gave it a simple center dent with pinches for these photos. The brim has none of the stiffness of my Stetson 100.

vicuna1.jpg

vicuna2.jpg

vicuna6.jpg

vicuna3.jpg

The liner is a simple raw silk. You wouldn't think twice about it unless you touch it.

vicuna10.jpg

Sweatband is thinner and softer than my Stetson 100.

vicuna11.jpg

vicuna12.jpg

Last edited:

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Very nice.
ETA: Love the comparison shots and the shots of the case. That's quite a find.

Last edited:

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
This Churchill western was sold through Neiman-Marcus in the 1950's. I came across this hat shortly after it was listed with a BIN option. It arrived last week and I had a chance to take some photos today.

The felt quality is quite extraordinary. I was reminded of JTL's post for his Dobbs 100 - opening the box and picking it up for the first time gave a rush that the hat lovers here can appreciate.

It shares many of the qualities of the Stetson 100, but it is softer, smoother and lighter than my early 1960's Stetson examples. The 2 3/4 raw brim and 5 1/2" open crown seem just right for a dressy western.

That hat appears to have been worn little if at all. There are no stains or indications that a cattleman crease or any other crease had been applied. I gave it a simple center dent with pinches for these photos. The brim has none of the stiffness of my Stetson 100.

QUOTE]

THAT is the PERFECT crease for that hat!! Beautiful !!

DJH

I'll Lock Up
That is an incredible hat, Alan. I was aware that a couple of companies made a "100" model, but never seen a Churchill one before.

Very impressive how you conjure so many nice hats out of that rather muddy (e)Bay!

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
From the Churchill thread, it seems that the highest end Churchills were primarily (only?) sold at NM. Maybe this was Byer-Rolnick putting the high end of the country folk Resistol line in the hands of city folk. The box does seem to resemble the Resistol box posted in the ebay thread yesterday.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Now there's a lid that can bring a guy back out of the woodwork! ;)

Absolutely amazing find, Alan. Extraordinary lid. That has to be quite a thrill!

Good for you -- Congrats!

Cheers,
JtL

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
From the Churchill thread, it seems that the highest end Churchills were primarily (only?) sold at NM. Maybe this was Byer-Rolnick putting the high end of the country folk Resistol line in the hands of city folk. The box does seem to resemble the Resistol box posted in the ebay thread yesterday.

At the time that that hat was sold it would have ONLY been sold at NM. Up until the mid 80's when the store was bought by a larger Dept. store company and they sold stock in the store, they had an agreemant with ALL suppliers of goods they sold that their products were sold EXCLUSIVELY at Nieman's. Churchils were ONLY sold thru NM at that time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points