Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

cigarette holders question for the ladies

boone33

New in Town
I'm curious, how many ladies on this board use cigarette holders in their daily lives? I'm not a smoker -- in fact, I don't care for the smell -- but I've always found that a lady who smokes from a holder gives off a certain distinctive air about her personality. It's such a sophisticated, classy look. Such a shame that it's gone out of style. Wish it would make a comeback.

Two more questions for the cigarette holder smokers:
1. what attracted you to using a holder in the first place
2. what do you like about it?

Thank you.

Last edited:

MissMittens

One Too Many
I have a cigarette holder but only carry it around at events, I no longer actually smoke. I also have a faux box of 1920's era Lucky Strike that fit with the whole 'look'

lareine

A-List Customer
I find it hard to imagine thinking that cigarette smoking (with or without a holder) is anything but ugly and aging. It's interesting to read that somebody else might find it sophisticated and classy. Does the use of a holder distance the smoker from the cigarette itself enough to enhance the appeal, or is there something else at play here? I'll be following this thread to find out. Thanks for such a thought-provoking topic.

lframe

One of the Regulars
I'm an ex-smoker, but would have loved to had a holder 20 years ago. I've been looking for on for collecting purposes to display.

Rockapin-up

A-List Customer
It was considered Glamorous at the time. Not a spoker myself but did a quick search to find it was basically an accessory and also helped to keep nicotine stains from mouth and fingers and paper bits from sticking to lips. Some later constructed with filters. There were even different lengths for women for different occasions (taken from Wikipedia):

"As with evening gloves, ladies' cigarette holders are measured by four traditional formal standard lengths:

opera length, usually 16 to 20 inches/40 to 50 cm
theatre length, 10 to 14 inches/25 to 35 cm
dinner length, 4 to 6 inches/10 to 15 cm
cocktail length, which includes shorter holders[1]
Traditionally, men's cigarette holders were no more than 4 inches long[2]"

I realize im not answering your question, but thought it would be interesting to add :eek:

KatPower

New in Town
I've been collecting antique and vintage tobacco pipes since I inherited my grandfather's years ago. I sometimes smoke out of them but not enough to consider myself a smoker; usually only a couple of times a year on special occasions. I branched out and bought a cigarette holder when I was living in the UK and found some in a tobacco shop. I'd picked up the habit of smoking cigarettes socially while I lived there and thought I'd add a bit of glamour to my nasty habit. It definitely looks more sophisticated than using your fingers. I've since given up buying cartons and seem to have misplaced my cigarette holder. I'd love to get another one but would probably not smoke out of one again.

TheNylonSwish

New in Town
I used various cigarette holders from the age of about 17 when I was smoking. I got mocked a lot of the time but carried on, I loved it. I have (thankfully) quit smoking now so don't use them but still they are the best way to smoke a cigarette.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Mae West had a few interesting cigarette holders, if I could only remember those fellows names now...??? LOL!

Miss Retro Chic

New in Town
I smoke on occasion and when I do I use a cigarette holder, because it's a totally different sensation than smoking without. And also because it looks sophisticated, of course :rolleyes: I do only use it in my home, as you cannot smoke in public unless you're standing on the subwalk and I would never consider smoking in the street. I'm a lady after all :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana