Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clarks "Desert Boots"

galopede

One of the Regulars
they were Prada desert boots marked down from $700 to a waaaay more affordable $500....and yep they were just your everyday, nothing special desert boot. Needless to say I took the high road and did not buy....left them for some other deserving fellow.

Down to $500 eh? Even better bargain that my brand new Clark's desert boots I found in a local charity shop for £7 a few years ago!

Gareth

nick123

I'll Lock Up
They looked cool so I bought a pair and haven't worn them much as for some reason when wearing (sole material?) I get shocked when I get off the couch!

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My favourite Desert Boots are the Clarke's / Pretty Green model (with help from Liam).
The original version (came in half sizes)...worked for me..perfect fit in UK 9.5.
Had two pairs (black & sand)..wore them to death.

Picked up a pair off eBay the other day..mint unworn black 9.5 (half price originals)...sorted :)

Ok, the pro on crepe-soles seem to be the softer and much better grip, especially off-road, in desert.

And what else??

How fast is the crepe abrasing, by daily use?

bn1966

The Pretty Green / Clarkes Boots last very well :) I purchased a pair of the low profile Clarkes Desert Boots last year & they have worn out very quickly..low profile + thinner sole :-(

Pie & Coffee

New in Town
I've found crepe to be reasonably durable. Some brands less than others, but my Clarks seem to last a pretty good while, at least with their chunkier soled models.

I've found crepe to be reasonably durable. Some brands less than others, but my Clarks seem to last a pretty good while, at least with their chunkier soled models.

If they would last more than one year, like sadly all usual massmarket-shoes only does on me, I would buy a pair of the original Desert Boots. But, if the crepe-soles would be down after one year, I wouldn't pay the german price, here.

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
The Clarks desert trek and desert boot crepe soles do last well. While I didn't wear them daily I wore them quite a bit and had a pair last me around six years. I then went on to wear them for gardening and such for another couple of years. I have a couple of other pairs now that are a few years old and doing fine. The only downside to them is how 'dangerous' (slippy) they can be in the wet.

To me these Clarks lines seem a lot like Barbour; Whilst they make a lot of cheap fasion orientated items now they do still make the traditional lines quite well.

FYI Last year they altered the fit of the Desert Boot to make it just slighlty wider.

bn1966

It's the low profile sole version that go through quickly, the standard Desert Boot soles (& the Pretty Green version) give good service.

bn1966

Just compared the 'low profiles' to traditional Clarks Desert boots & the soles are at least twice as thick on the Trads :)

CSG

Familiar Face
I have both the original sand color desert boots (with the crepe sole) and the less expensive Bushacre II shoes with a different sole. I prefer the latter but they both are wearing quite well. Had both for about three years now and both are in my regular rotation (which during nicer weather is almost always a pair of Top-Siders).

Stringmaster

One of the Regulars
Last edited:

Stringmaster

One of the Regulars
Any experience with the Astorflex Desert Boots? I'm looking at an alternative to Clarks as they don't fit me well (too wide):
https://huckberry.com/store/astorflex/category/p/31826-greenflex-stone

I'm also considering the Red Wing Weekender:
http://www.redwingheritage.com/us/U...;sid=d4HgUevJd5viUbK6GOjhUeu27Lb5RnD-bpZ7ZvLe

Nordstrom is running a sale on the Red Wings, but they are a sand nubuck leather versus the nappy suede which is what I'm after.
Anything else to consider?

Just spotted this pricier option:
http://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/m...t/SF2404.html?dwvar_SF2404_color=2404#start=8

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Literally just received a pair of Clark's Wallabies on Friday afternoon. Got them at a knock-down price of £30 to replace my old desert boots, which had caved in after 10 years plus hard service. I've read the complaints about a drop in quality, but the damn things just kept going. New pair are ochre, a very pale yellow, so they're a bit... striking at the moment, but a few trips out will soften that.

bn1966

I've got the Pretty Green / Clarks version in Black & a Champagne pair. Going to dye the Champagne dark brown as they are too light :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk