Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classic actors insulting eachother

He loved eating raw onions.
View attachment 82064

This makes me respect his leading ladies
a lot more as far as acting.
Especially in a romantic kissing scene.

And as much as I admire the leading ladies from the past when smoking was much in style.

It would be difficult to get in the mood
kissing an ash tray.
Unless you were a good "actor"! :D

That is an odd thing to eat like an apple.

Just my guess, but when smoking was so much more prevalent - and many of the leading ladies smoked as well - kissing a smoker probably was not offensive or as offensive to them as it would be to us today.

That said, I know I've read that Gable had full dentures that several leading ladies of his - Vivien Liegh most famously - claim did not smell good.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Just my guess, but when smoking was so much more prevalent - and many of the leading ladies smoked as well - kissing a smoker probably was not offensive or as offensive to them as it would be to us today.

FF, with much respect my dear friend.

I'm trying to understand how it's not
offensive to kiss someone that reeks
of tobacco no matter what time period?
The only conclusion that comes to mind
is that both are heavy smokers and can't
tell the differences.

Last edited:

I'm trying to understand how it's not
offensive to kiss someone that reeks
of tobacco no matter what time period?
The only conclusion that comes to mind
is that both are heavy smokers and can't
tell the differences.

I am a passionate anti-smoker - simply can't stand being around it at all. For me, if a woman smoked it was a complete non-starter. But it was a different time back in the GE and if women were truly turned off, men wouldn't have done it if my experience in life has any broader application.

Guys do a lot of stupid things to impress girls and, also, a lot of dumb things to turn them off - but if something generally made girls not want to kiss them, they stopped doing it.

So, my guess (that's all it is) is that smoking was so prevalent (i.e., even the non-smokers were somewhat inured) that it was not the turnoff writ large to the female population then, that it would be today.

I am a passionate anti-smoker - simply can't stand being around it at all. For me, if a woman smoked it was a complete non-starter. But it was a different time back in the GE and if women were truly turned off, men wouldn't have done it if my experience in life has any broader application.

Guys do a lot of stupid things to impress girls and, also, a lot of dumb things to turn them off - but if something generally made girls not want to kiss them, they stopped doing it.

So, my guess (that's all it is) is that smoking was so prevalent (i.e., even the non-smokers were somewhat inured) that it was not the turnoff writ large to the female population then, that it would be today.
For me I did not appreciate, until I quit smoking in my mid 20's, just how disgusting it really was.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Like a lot of us, I grew up immersed in tobacco smoke -- every surface I touched at home until I was eighteen years old was coated in a thick yellow nicotine filth, that's how bad it was. And I didn't *smell* it at all. I hated tobacco as much then as I do now, because I saw my grandfather sit on the edge of his bed every afternoon hacking up pieces of his lungs into a pisspot, and I knew why. I hated it, I despised it, I cursed the first human being who ever thought it was a good idea to suck the filthy poison of a burning leaf into his lungs, but *I didn't smell it at all.*

I didn't realize what tobacco filth smelled like until my grandfather died and my mother flushed her last carton of cigarettes down the toilet. Suddenly I knew what actual air smelled like, what clean clothes smelled like, and I realized just how repulsive tobacco really is. You really don't know the difference until you're no longer surrounded by it.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
That is an odd thing to eat like an apple.

That said, I know I've read that Gable had full dentures that several leading ladies of his - Vivien Liegh most famously - claim did not smell good.

Brother Gable is also said to have carried about with him a rather impressive case of B. O. The story is that it was so bad he developed the habit of shaving his armpits in an effort to knock down the stink a bit.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Brother Gable is also said to have carried about with him a rather impressive case of B. O. The story is that it was so bad he developed the habit of shaving his armpits in an effort to knock down the stink a bit.

Wow...you’re right...his armpits are shaved!
And there’s that smoking again...with all
the windows shut! Geeze! :(

Last edited:

I'm trying to understand how it's not offensive to kiss someone that reeks of tobacco no matter what time period? The only conclusion that comes to mind is that both are heavy smokers and can't tell the differences.
I think it depends on a person's sensitivity. I've known people who were so sensitive to cigarette smoke that they could detect the smallest amount in the atmosphere like a shark detects the tiniest amount of blood in the ocean. I was exposed to cigarettes when I was growing up in the 60s and 70s--frequently, but not regularly--and never thought much about them one way or the other, probably because it was so common in those days. In 1980 when I started dating the woman who would become my wife, she smoked but I didn't and I can't recall ever being "offended" by it. I suppose the argument could be made that I had been "conditioned" by society by that point to be more accepting of cigarettes than someone who rarely encountered them.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I think it depends on a person's sensitivity. I've known people who were so sensitive to cigarette smoke that they could detect the smallest amount in the atmosphere like a shark detects the tiniest amount of blood in the ocean. I was exposed to cigarettes when I was growing up in the 60s and 70s--frequently, but not regularly--and never thought much about them one way or the other, probably because it was so common in those days. In 1980 when I started dating the woman who would become my wife, she smoked but I didn't and I can't recall ever being "offended" by it. I suppose the argument could be made that I had been "conditioned" by society by that point to be more accepting of cigarettes than someone who rarely encountered them.

My dad rolled his own .
IMG_9134.JPG
It was pretty strong foul odor. My mom
made him smoke outside the house.
Eventually he quit.

I tried smoking when in the military.
But my body would not tolerate it.
So I never developed the habit.

One time the mailman delivered my
neighbors mail by mistake to my box.
I went over to give him his letters.

The moment he opened his door, I
felt like someone had punched me
hard in the stomach. My eyes started
to water and almost threw up from
the heavy stale air-conditioned smoke
coming from inside his house.
And he wasn't smoking.

I politely declined to come in.
He thanked me for the mail as he lit a cigarette and closed the door.

Last edited:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
All this smoking talk makes me laugh. My mom, dad, bro and sis all smoked (not me). It bothered me but there was FAR worse. Most Southern Blacks chewed tobacco and dipped snuff. All my relatives male and female did it. Spittoons, milk containers stuffed with toilet paper, cups you name it... all were filled with slimy, foul smelling excreta. And to make matters worse, who do you think had to go buy the tobacco and then empty out the refuse? That's right ME!!!!!!!!

Tobacco:
Day's Work
Brown Mule
Beechnut
Red Man

Snuff:
Honey Bee
Navy

And we're talking REAL snuff and plug tobacco not that honey infused crap the kids dip and chew now! When you're picking cotton, 'bacca, watermelons and anything else they could grow, tobacco makes a long day in the hot sun go by easier. Still, to a kid born and raised in NY, the idea of it was something else. I still get shivers from knocked over spittoons.... the opening scene in "Rio Bravo" makes me ill. And you lot are complaining....

Worf

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
All this smoking talk makes me laugh. My mom, dad, bro and sis all smoked (not me). It bothered me but there was FAR worse. Most Southern Blacks chewed tobacco and dipped snuff. All my relatives male and female did it. Spittoons, milk containers stuffed with toilet paper, cups you name it... all were filled with slimy, foul smelling excreta. And to make matters worse, who do you think had to go buy the tobacco and then empty out the refuse? That's right ME!!!!!!!!

Tobacco:
Day's Work
Brown Mule
Beechnut
Red Man

Snuff:
Honey Bee
Navy
Worf

Growing up in 100º hot, humid Southern summers
with outdoor plumbing combined with the stench of
the slaughterhouses pungent odor of dead cows, goats
& pigs that would permeate the entire 'hood....

"Ya ain
t tellin me nuthin I don’t already knows! :D

Last edited:

Tobacco:
Day's Work
Brown Mule
Beechnut
Red Man

Snuff:
Honey Bee
Navy

And we're talking REAL snuff and plug tobacco not that honey infused crap the kids dip and chew now! When you're picking cotton, 'bacca, watermelons and anything else they could grow, tobacco makes a long day in the hot sun go by easier. Still, to a kid born and raised in NY, the idea of it was something else. I still get shivers from knocked over spittoons.... the opening scene in "Rio Bravo" makes me ill. And you lot are complaining....

Worf
I developed a nasty chew habit during my baseball days. As a non smoker I could really notice the nicotine effect it had on me, a boost of energy and mental acuity. As well I could see its use in the fields for the pickers....an energy boost and at least for me an incredibly effective appetite suppressant. At times I still miss it and have to pass on the urge to buy me a pouch of Redman. My wife used to advise me that if I ever wanted her to kiss me ever ever agin I better not chew it around her.

His breath stunk / his body stunk - how in God's name did this man get Carol Lombard? It's not like she didn't have other choices.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
His breath stunk / his body stunk - how in God's name did this man get Carol Lombard? It's not like she didn't have other choices.

They had much in common! :D
pepe_lepew3.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-08-14 at 8.02.49 AM.png

“You can trust that little screwball with your life or your hopes
or your weaknesses, and she wouldn’t even know how to think
about letting you down” ( Clark Gable on Carole Lombard )

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
My mother smoked every day when I was growing up. Like Lizzie, I guess I never smelled it, since it was all around me. For some miraculous reason, as I am the classic Addictive Personality, I never picked up that habit. Pipe smoking for a while in my 30s, yes, but everyone told me how great my chocolate-scented tobacco smelled, so I guess I didn't offend too many people. But cigarettes? No. (Miraculous indeed, considering that several of my boyhood fictional heroes, Ellery Queen, Sherlock Holmes, and James Bond, all smoked.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
He didn't *actually* say that, but I bet he thought it. The fan magazines were abuzz over the collapse of the Powell-Lombard relationship in 1936-37, with Brother Gable lurking in the wings, and I imagine there was no love lost between the two.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch