Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classic Safari vehicles!

davestlouis

Practically Family
When I look at NelsAnderson's dashboard, with the painted steel and protruding knobs, all I think of is "that would hurt if you banged your knee on it". No crash padding there!

JPH

Familiar Face
Well, since no one else has mentioned...

dg_1962patrol.jpg

Joseph
And who could forget the Toyota FJs appearing out of the dust storm in the beginning minutes of "Close Encounters of the Third Kind?"

NelsAnderson

New in Town
davestlouis said:
When I look at NelsAnderson's dashboard, with the painted steel and protruding knobs, all I think of is "that would hurt if you banged your knee on it". No crash padding there!

Not a problem, you'd impale yourself on the steering wheel first :)

Safety had not yet been invented back in the 60's.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Rommel's Horch Feldmarschall Cabriolet (Kfz 21) did a turn as a safari vehicle.

"I couldn't believe I had stumbled upon Rommel's staff car after having initially been hesitant about buying it. Horch only made 36 of these Glaser bodied off road luxury cars so the search was narrowed down fairly quickly.
After months of matching photographs, registration plates, chassis numbers, where possible, to the relevant units they were dispatched to we traced the background to this particular vehicle. One remarkable piece of the puzzle was how a British Army officer had driven the cabriolet down from Libya to Kenya in 1945 where it served as a hunting vehicle on a farm. The car eventually found its way home to Germany, to the UK and back to Germany where the restoration work progressed for over 4 years
."

http://www.warandpeaceshow.co.uk/Archive/2006-Show/News.html

clip_image001.jpg

http://files.homepagemodules.de/b70724/f12t219p9932004n5.jpg

http://ww2armor.jexiste.fr/Files/Ax.../10-LightVehicles/Kfz.15/Photo-07.Pzcolor.jpg

N2S3

New in Town
Pickup

Not exactly a safari truck but my new toy. Kaiser Jeep M715 from 1967. Hoping to get her street legal in the next few weeks

MKwa8odp0XIBMJy5KE_imA

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Baja Bug

Mike1973 said:
Ex - Swiss Army bus, Egypt 1992.

Siwa1.jpg
Oh great, you maid my eyes well up! I had a 71 Super Beetle that broke the crank back in 1999, still made it home! Unfortunately in fit of madness I sold it! Regretted it every since. The two times I got stuck in the snow, I pushed my self out, try that with an Escalade. Now, thanks to your photos, I want a Baja Bug again.

NelsAnderson

New in Town
The VW's look great, those things were everywhere back in the '60s. I spent a lot of time in the back seat of one of the VW buses back when I was a kid...

davestlouis

Practically Family
I had a 69 Type 1...I beat that thing mercilessly, tried to kill it and it wouldn't die. I'd love to have one now. Wouldn't mind the 69 Squareback wagon my dad had when I was little, either.

I seem to recall that VW marketed the Type 181 (Thing) as an offroad vehicle when they first started selling them in the US, but got involved in some sort of legal action because of it.

That red Type 1 is clearly raised...was it built like that or is that an aftermarket modification?

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Bug Stories

davestlouis said:
I had a 69 Type 1...I beat that thing mercilessly, tried to kill it and it wouldn't die. I'd love to have one now. Wouldn't mind the 69 Squareback wagon my dad had when I was little, either.

I seem to recall that VW marketed the Type 181 (Thing) as an offroad vehicle when they first started selling them in the US, but got involved in some sort of legal action because of it.
That red Type 1 is clearly raised...was it built like that or is that an aftermarket modification?
Thats the great thing about old Bugs, if you are over 35 or so, you probably have a story of owning one or driving one or even just an adventure of being a passenger! My 71 was owned by a retired Lieutenant Colonel who fought the Germans in Italy, he then sold it to my dad, who fought the Germans in France.

DesertDan

One Too Many
My parents owned a 181 "Thing" back in the '70s (?) when they first came out, I loved that vehicle! We went everywhere in it. I'd love to have one.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Thats the great thing about old Bugs, if you are over 35 or so, you probably have a story of owning one or driving one or even just an adventure of being a passenger! My 71 was owned by a retired Lieutenant Colonel who fought the Germans in Italy, he then sold it to my dad, who fought the Germans in France.

Yep, I learned to drive a stick in my Dad's '71 Beetle. Nothing else Ive ever owned had the clutch and brake pedals hinged at the bottom. I dont care what anyone says, those pedals need to hinged at the top, just like every other car.

I believe the Thing was released here in 1974, but Im just going from recollections.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
VW Thing

My parents owned a 181 "Thing" back in the '70s (?) when they first came out, I loved that vehicle! We went everywhere in it. I'd love to have one.

For those of you that don't know, this is a Thing! You either love them or hate them. I think they were about 20 years ahead of their time, in the mid 90s they would have sold well. And one thing [pun intended] I know for sure, if you get stuck, two people can push it out of just about any spot, try that with your Escalade!
vw_thing.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk