Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classy bars...

2The9s

New in Town
I wish there were a few places in my part of San Antonio. Most of the nicer bars around here are sports bars, loud on top of loud blairing TVs. There are few nicer places in the downtown town area but that's too far to travel for a drink after work. I really long for a comfy chair to sit in too. Most bars have hard wood seats. One can always hope.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Miss 1929 said:
At the Persian Aub Zam Zam on Haight Street (yes, in the Haight/Ashbury) in San Francisco.
Bruno used to kick anyone out if he didn't like their looks, their drink orders (anything but a Martini), if there were too many of them, if they used a cell phone.
Bruno was a bit more mysterious than that. He did,
after all, keep a bar stocked with more than Boord's gin.
Sometimes you had to catch on quickly what the drink of
the day might be. On some days if you ordered a martini
you got kicked out. The back room was perpetually closed.

There were an infinite number of things that could get you
kicked out. While at times charming, the man was not
entirely well. Unfortunately, this attracted a crowd that
sought entertainment in this practice, laughing when Bruno
would kick out some poor sap who simply thought that a
bar was a place where he might find a drink.
Miss 1929 said:
Lovely old decor, a jukebox with nothing later than 1950 on it, and the best Martinis in town.
I doubt that it is the same now though, Bruno passed away. But I hear that the new owners are trying to keep it much the same.
The new owners are old customers. The place is cleaner,
more accessible, and still great. I do miss the old low tech
jukebox, though. Yeah, it's noisy and it really isn't the same
anymore. But that's a good thing and a bad thing.

Let's not even talk about what was done to the Redwood Room.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
feltfan said:
Let's not even talk about what was done to the Redwood Room.

Let's not, I would rather not cry myself to sleep!
At least it is all reversible, unlike the loss of the Patent Leather Lounge (what became the Compss Rose in the St. Francis).

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Pavillion Rooms...

That's right folks!! "Paddy's Pavillion Rooms" where the Martinis are cool and the jazz is hot.

Drinks guaranteed to wash that modern colour out of your cheeks and give you that 'old fashioned' black&white glow of yesteryear!!

If you haven't a full glass in your hand and a hat on your head..then you're underdressed!!;)

Casablanca003.jpg

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Brain Surgery

PADDY said:
That's right folks!! "Paddy's Pavillion Rooms" where the Martinis are cool and the jazz is hot.

Drinks guaranteed to wash that modern colour out of your cheeks and give you that 'old fashioned' black&white glow of yesteryear!!

If you haven't a full glass in your hand and a hat on your head..then you're underdressed!!;)

Casablanca003.jpg

Are you the cup half full or half full type? Don't ask...Or are you a bloke who likes a full bottle in front of me rather than a full frontal lobotomy?:D :D lol

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Brilliant photo Paddy!

But by the looks of the angle of that drink, there's either a stiff breeze blowing or you're three sheets to the wind :D

Looks like "Paddy's Pavillion Rooms" will be the talk of the town!

Jovan

Suspended
The places described seem little more than where to go because you want to feel like you're better than everyone else. Not my thing. Don't get me wrong -- I can see what the allure is, and it sounded good to me at first, but as the article went on I just started to imagine a stifling sort of atmosphere where one can't sneeze without there being a fuss. I think it takes the fun out of having a cocktail or glass of wine with your friends (not my colleagues, thank you ;)). I don't need an exclusive "cocktail lounge" to do that. In fact, I hardly ever go to bars. My best times having a drink have been with my roommates here at the house. We never drink to excess, we tell dirty jokes (and the dames join in with that), talk about our jobs and our dreams, and most importantly we have fun.

Just my two cents.

This is starting to give me some ideas riffing on a theme from back when Doran was speculating about him, me and Ms. Tourbillion opening a club... I'm thinking not demanding "worship of bartender/establishment" or treating it as a "temple of liquor", but just basic courtesy to one's fellow customer and the staff, "keep it down and if the dame says 'back off', you do it--now" sort of thing. Maybe several rooms... say a library for quiet drink and study, for one, and maybe the "card-players' corner" behind soundproof walls.

Oh, the TV? Would be on a news-channel, muted and closed-captioned.

Don't really see it happening--way too expensive--but thought this might inspire somebody else's ideas, which might have a little more crack at happening.

Ben

One of the Regulars
Weegee's

There's a place in Chicago called Weegee's after the famous tabloid photographer. it has no televisions, no loud music, and a good cocktail list. It was based off the the 1947 Trader Vic's bartenders' handbook. The owner said he wanted to create a nice neighborhood bar, and he's done a great job. The only reason I am not there more is because it is far from where I live.

I agree that I don't want to be told what to drink, but there is nothing wrong with selecting your customers by selecting what you have behind the bar. No Red Bull sounds like a fine idea to me. No vodka, not so much.

There is another place in town called Nacional 27, it is a little louder and attached to the restaurant, but my friend's and I always go for the bar. We usually go early and that weeds out annoyances that can go with a place when it gets crowded. While the drinks can get expensive, they are good, and you really only need one or two anyway.

norton

One of the Regulars
Why can't bars, and restaurants too for that matter, have little closets that patrons could go into if they absolutely had to talk on their cell phones. That way they wouldn't have to disturb other patrons and they could hear what was being said on the phone. They could be called something like "phone booths".

I wonder if I could patent that?

Ben

One of the Regulars
The new phone booth, you could even use the old signs. That is a great idea! Apply for a method patent now.

Miss Neecerie said:

IF you're going to join the cult of the cocktail, then you ought to familiarize yourself with the rules...To enforce etiquette, they've made rules. And these rules, more and more common in New York, are starting to show up in Los Angeles.
...There are rules even in L.A. now, written or assumed. Cedd Moses' new members-only bar, the Doheny, is set to open in December, complete with a list of house rules.

Supercilious sophistry. And Cedd Moses ruined Coles. A pox on all his houses. Cancel my rhumba lessons.

rkwilker

One Too Many
There's a nice bar in downtown Raleigh, NC called Amara's. Owned by three brothers. Straight out of the 1930's with dark, rich wood all around. Good cigars and top shelf bourbon. Great place.

just_me

Practically Family
norton said:
Why can't bars, and restaurants too for that matter, have little closets that patrons could go into if they absolutely had to talk on their cell phones. That way they wouldn't have to disturb other patrons and they could hear what was being said on the phone. They could be called something like "phone booths".

I wonder if I could patent that?
The Bubble Room on Captiva Island has a real, old style phone booth with a seat in it. I think Clark Kent is there too. lol As much fun as the Bubble Room is, I wouldn't call it a classy bar, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk