Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cleaning White Fur.

Twinkle

Familiar Face
Does anyone have any good tips?

I bought a 50’s swing coat in coral wool and it has white fur cuffs. The cuffs are removable and I took them off to have the coat dry cleaned (cleaner wouldn’t take the fur).

The bottom of the cuff is a little worn but mostly the pile of the fur is knotted and matted due to wear (this is on the underside so it wont show when worn), the top is still quite good with long pelts of fur.

I checked and none of the fur is migrating from the skin, would it be safe to wash this by hand and dry naturally or would I risk damaging the fur beyond all belief?

I did think about dry shampoo for hair, I don’t know if this would work…

Any other tips for cleaning white fur at home?

Thanks in advance

Estelle

crwritt

One Too Many
I've read articles that recommend keeping it dry, and using cornstarch, cover the item in corn starch,
work it in, shake off the excess and vaccuum to remove the rest of the cornstarch.I have also read that
furriers clean fur coats in a big bin of cedar sawdust.
There is also a company that sells fur cleaning products.
http://www.lanasfur.com/?gclid=CMvMyKXN5KUCFcnc4Aodgxjr0Q

I would not get natural fur wet, but have had great results washing modern artificial fur
in cold water, delicate setting, oxyclean if needed, gently brush out the fur and shake it,
hang to dry.Not sure about vintage artificial fur.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider