Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cockpit 100 Mission G-1

Deacon211

One Too Many
(This is long. So, if you don’t want to hear me run my soup cooler, skip ahead.)

I am a G-1 snob.

I admit it. I flew in the Marines and the G-1 was the jacket of my people. I wore one. My buddies wore one. My instructors wore one. My students wore one.

Every Brill Creamed, pants too high, tie too short, black and white pictured, cigar-chomping, fire pissing Marine aviator hanging on every identical, pea green, cinder block wall in every squadron that I'd ever been in wore one.

So I had in my head an idea of an absolute ideal "peak of the Roman Empire to the last millisecond" sort of G-1 jacket. The one sewn before, not quite. The one sewn after, too late. Of course as these things go, the more you learn the less you know. As I hunted for the ideal jacket, it turned out that anything that I thought I knew of the G-1, and its predecessor the M-422a, was invariably wrong. They never made a jacket with that big a collar? Wrong. The M-422as all had scalloped pocket flaps? Wrong. And so on.

Even among the big repro makers, the variation was bewildering. I saw both a very smooth, red hued, rust collared, purple knitted, chrome tanned jacket and a very charactered, blackish brown, dark collared, brown knitted M-422a....and that was supposedly from the same original maker's design. Between different repro makers, the difference was even more pronounced.

To stir the pot further, there was the on again, off again discussion of the "death of the G-1" with its allowance of cowhide, poly knits, Dynel collars, and roomier fits; with equally valid preferences on both sides. And with the undeniable truth that G-1s with these features were now rapidly equaling (if not exceeding) the production span of the older, more traditional jacket.

So I said all that, so that I could say this.

I like the 100 Mission Cockpit G-1. I mean I really like it. I like it far better than I would have expected to, being the G-1 snob that I am. It's honestly hard to fit this jacket exactly in the pantheon of G-1s/M-422as. In some ways, it really reminds me of an earlier jacket. And yet it has a few things (poly cuffs/brass zipper) that would place it later in jacket's history. I'm sure that an expert in 50s-60s G-1s (which I am not) would be able to place it as being representative of a certain age. All I know is that it comes interestingly close to that ideal G-1 that I always had in my mind.

The Leather:

I guess being a G-1 snob would also make me a goatskin snob. The issue jackets that I had or had seen were all tough as nails. If they were beautiful, they were beautifully tough as nails. Some aftermarket jackets to me almost look like a caricature of a flight jacket...too beautiful to issue to some shavetail who, if he doesn't wind up in the drink with it, is almost certainly going to bash that leather on every single exposed rivet head in the cockpit.

Interestingly, the "mil-spec" Cockpit G-1 that I saw in the Pensacola Museum gift shop was one of the offenders. Some have spoken the praises of the Cockpit jacket, so perhaps I saw an unusual batch. But the 100 Mission leather seems night and day different from the soft, processed leather of the Cockpit G-1s I saw. This stuff is tough, grainy, and flat in sheen. I don't know what it looked like before they aged this stuff, but it now looks exactly like the old, beat up G-1s that I was familiar with. It's honestly about the best representation of "utility" flight jacket leather that I've ever seen, understanding that I lived in a certain era of the jacket.

fb207e52d5557de2eefdea0f8ca8e4e7.jpg

The Style:

As I said, it’s hard to place this jacket exactly in time, which may be one of its charms. If I was to guess, I’d say mid to late 60s. The collar is clearly intended to be aged mouton. Out of the box the collar looked like a bad bathroom rug. But in just a day or two, it began to develop the customary “nubby” aspect that one would associate with the G-1. It is still quite soft however, which makes me wonder how they got it to look this way. My jacket came with a collar that was quite blonde. Personally I would have preferred the more reddish orange that many of the online pictures show. It looks a little teddy bear-like as it stands. Still, I’m not expert enough to say that this color is ahistoric in any way. Size wise, the collar is relatively small though slightly pointed, which again seems like a bit of a paradox. I quite like it. And I also appreciate that the collar will stand up to a certain degree which is something that can’t be said for every repro (historic or not I can’t say, though my jackets always had stiff collars).

f5cfc7bc5ab853d5acde80fd14d029be.jpg

66dc689d10f86c4286687be4417a9550.jpg

The pockets have a very sensibly exciting scallop to them. Not quite enough to peg the jacket as WWII vintage. But enough to make the casual observer think the jacket is vintage in some undefined way.

db090aaf5f2e317004e717814bbdfb0c.jpg

The zipper is standard YKK with a paper clip, but antiqued. Normally, I don’t buy too much into the “pre-vintaged” thing. It can so easily look obviously fake and I, as I have mentioned, am a snob. For all that, the antique zipper is subtly done enough that it could almost be confused with a real tarnished brass zip from a distance. Up to the individual as to your feelings about big brass vs small nickel…it doesn’t bother me a bit.

04e825f98efd49fd0f8fef1621db15a2.jpg

Incidentally, that pre-vintaged thing goes for the leather as well. No one dragged this jacket behind a truck. It looks like an old G-1 is supposed to look and not like an old G-1 never looks….unless you made it look that way.

Purely guesswork on my part, but I’d say that the knits are the doubled over, modern poly knits that are on the standard mil spec Cockpit G-1. Historical or not depends on when you want to say this jacket is from. They are certainly comfortable and functional enough. One interesting note is that the sleeve knits are quite long. If sleeve tunneling gives you the hives, then take note. I don’t normally like the effect myself, but honestly it doesn’t look egregious on this jacket. I think the narrowed sleeves help it escape that “I’m wearing my daddy’s jacket” look.

Final notes. USN stamped in the windflap and not stenciled behind the collar. Lining is fairly coarse standard brown nylon as one might expect in any late era jacket. A few labels inside, but no escape maps, Lil’ Abner Comics, or Ovaltine advertisements.

Sorry….snob, remember?

Last edited:

Deacon211

One Too Many
The Fit:

Again, everybody will have a different opinion about this. The pics I see of pilots in their current issue jackets look dumpy. The jackets look oversize to me and bigger in the waist and sleeves than the jacket I was issued.

On me, I feel that the 100 Mission G-1 fits remarkably well. The jacket has a nice taper from the shoulders that eliminates that “leather tube with sleeves” feel that I get from the more “modern” cut jackets. The sleeves also taper more like older jackets so you don’t get those big, pirate cuffs. The length is a little shorter than average, much like my Cooper. On the other hand the sleeves are a little longer, more in keeping with the modern style. Arm length comes full to the bottom of my wrist bone. It’s a bit longer than I would normally like. But it does have the virtue that you can reach forward while in a sitting position without pulling the sleeve knits up your arm, which is nice in a cold cockpit…or in a cold car.

Perhaps most importantly, the 100 Mission G-1 fits trimly. In most issue or mil-spec size 46 G-1s, I would find the jacket to be ever so slightly tight and a 48 to be a bit roomy. The Cockpit 100 Mission G-1 size 48 on the other hand fits like a “size 47”; trimmer than a normal 48 but not tight like a normal 46. I’d recommend sizing up at the very least one size.

EDIT: The measurements.

P2P: 26.5in
Waist: 20.5in
Sleeve (on the curve): 24.5in
Shoulder (point to point): 21.5in
Back (collar attachment to top of knit): 23in

e6ac2350f2e9048b279efde4418cb4e5.jpg

f426cf47e05d1fc6e292d2e09b4e0848.jpg

78cee2245576eadd330c33c3f3656fcd.jpg

Conclusion (Finally, I thought he’d never shut up):

The Cockpit 100 Mission G-1 is a great jacket. If you are looking for a vintage jacket, but are scared off by the durability, size, or cooties of an original, this jacket is for you. There are a few things that some people might like or not, depending on your personal preferences. But at its heart, this is an old jacket, writ new

I apologize for running on. But this jacket deserved a fitting review.

10/01/17 EDIT:

I received my jacket back from the Cockpit with the original collar replaced with the mouton collar from their stock G-1. I had asked them to age the collar, which they did. It took a bit of following up to get the work done. But once I got the ball rolling, everyone was very nice and they did excellent work.

The collar seems a bit fluffier than the one that came with the jacket originally. I actually thought the original looked more authentic. But I have the feeling that this collar will flatten out once it gets over the case of blow drying which they must have given it. Still, I don't think it looks too bad and it is incredibly comfortable around the neck when the fall wind is blowing.

Overall, I continue to be impressed by this jacket. I could easily believe on casual observation that this was a mid '60s era G-1. I also appreciate the fact that I can wear this jacket flying or out and about without feeling like I am trampling on a piece of history or endangering several car payments worth of rare Italian "Unigoat" leather.

In short, it's a flight jacket's flight jacket.

b668061263035d3185aeceb77ee2c2af.jpg

003d04a74428199c2203f7266650c745.jpg

d10c591c3ca8e606ab71a95e8e664bd2.jpg

09b0adff7b1fa25d717df224ae86c0e9.jpg

8d6c25e858ec8e0513acc129aeb5489e.jpg

76def6c05ddc8c104c437a7e6084499c.jpg

4af88a7784c939b0b4cf3c1201b2f069.jpg

Last edited:

Peacoat

Bartender
Thanks for the review. I too like the G-1 and have several, although I never wore one when I was a pilot; they weren't authorized.

As an aside, when you went through flight school, was the Army still doing helicopter training for the Marines? If so, I may have been your instrument instructor at Hunter Army Airfield in Savannah. We had Marine Corps officers in our training classes, and I believe Ft. Rucker had them as well. They were the sharpest students we had. When we would give homework assignments, the Army students would give us what we asked for. The Marine students would give twice what we asked for. They were squared away.

Nice jacket, kojax.

Last edited:

kojax

Practically Family
Thanks for the review. I too like the G-1 and have several, although I never wore one when I was a pilot; they weren't authorized.

As an aside, when you went through flight school, was the Army still doing helicopter training for the Marines? If so, I may have been your instrument instructor at Hunter Army Airfield in Savannah. We had Marine Corps officers in our training classes, and I believe Ft. Rucker had them as well. They were the sharpest students we had. When we would give homework assignments, the Army students would give us what we asked for. The Marine students would give twice what we asked for. They were squared away.

Nice jacket, kojax.
thank you

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Deacon211,
Thank you for writing such a thorough and heartfelt review! I have a bit of a G-1 obsession myself, I own two vintage Star Sportswear (69 D series and 72 E series) as well as reproductions from Lost Worlds and U.S. Authentic.
You did a very nice job of putting into words some of the criteria that really make or break a G-1, such as pocket shape, collar size, etc. Most all G-1s look pretty similar at first glance, but it is these little details that separate the best from the rest.
After winning the Lost Worlds jacket in an eBay auction a couple weeks back I told myself that I didn't need to buy another G-1 ever again. After reading your review I find myself reevaluating that position...
Thanks again for the great write-up!

Deacon211

One Too Many

Nice jacket, kojax.

Hey Peacoat.

When I was in, our helo guys trained with the Navy out at Whiting. I wound up being a fixed wing guy. But in my later years I did fly the UC-12B and we used to go down to Ft Rucker for our recurrent training. Go Boll Weevils!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Deacon211

One Too Many
Nice shots Kojax! It was your and Thor's post that started me down the path to this jacket. For awhile, I had thought that the Cockpit had lost its mojo. It is good to see them make such a nice jacket!

thor

One Too Many
What a great review and/or dissertation on the G-1! Funny as hell too (had me chuckling in my morning coffee). I totally agree on your assessment re The Cockpit 100-mission G-1. It's a jacket that is neither a $1000+ bespoke masterpiece nor is it an assembly line dime-a-dozen mall jacket. It strikes just the right balance between new/old, replica/original and vintage/faux distressed.
Mine is also a size 48 and it's my favorite G-1 (tho I do have some originals and a gorgeous replica m-422 by BK).

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Such a great thread Deacon. And jacket of course. But jacket combined with anecdotes from people actually issued them is really the best kind of thread! Congrats and thank you for your service.

Deacon211

One Too Many
What a great review and/or dissertation on the G-1! Funny as hell too (had me chuckling in my morning coffee). I totally agree on your assessment re The Cockpit 100-mission G-1. It's a jacket that is neither a $1000+ bespoke masterpiece nor is it an assembly line dime-a-dozen mall jacket. It strikes just the right balance between new/old, replica/original and vintage/faux distressed.
Mine is also a size 48 and it's my favorite G-1 (tho I do have some originals and a gorgeous replica m-422 by BK).

Hehe, you said it much more succinctly than I Thor. And thank you for the rec on this jacket!

Such a great thread Deacon. And jacket of course. But jacket combined with anecdotes from people actually issued them is really the best kind of thread! Congrats and thank you for your service.

Well thanks Nick. I somehow managed to avoid to doing anything particularly heroic. But I thank you on behalf of all the guys that did. :)

Edward

Bartender
Great review! I'm planning a patched up Aero at some point, but the likes of this could make for a very nice 'plain' jacket, which I also fancy...

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Deacon - Great review! I am a bit of a "Cockpit" snob, owning 5 (leather/nylon) of their jackets. They do make good stuff. And my mil-spec G-1 from them was a spot on perfect fit. But I made the huge mistake of selling it.
Looks like a great fit for you also!

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Deacon, that's an awesome review! Thank you for taking the time to post it!

I also have a huge snobbery about, and fetish for G-1's (I blame Top Gun when I was a high schooler!). So I have looked at these jackets in the past, but couldn't quite get to grips with them. They seem to be an odd 'mash-up' of vintage G-1 styles, based on the Cockpit issue G-1 pattern from the First Gulf War. Now I own one of those jackets, and it's a pretty good jacket, but it's missing that seam in the leather that follows the waistband seam horizontally across the zipper.
This one feature stabs me in the eye every time I look at it; it screams 'Cockpit G-1!' at me every time (and I have to tell myself over and over that it doesn't matter because it's a genuine issue jacket), but on a jacket with vintage look aspirations, I think that would really bug me (because I'm such a petty, small man).

And that's the thing about this 100 Mission jacket; it's kind of 'lost in time'. It has the real fur collar, turned a nice honey color, the wind flap is USN punched, one weave waistband knits, and the real goat of a 60's era D-series G-1, but then it has the scalloped pockets of a 50's or WWII jacket.
And then it's got that YKK zipper...
You could change the zipper easily enough for a repro or NOS Talon, and it would look great, but I think that a better zipper as standard, and pocket flaps without scalloping would have made this a dead ringer for a vintage Vietnam era D-series, and those are jackets that still pull decent bucks on the used market.

It just seems like a missed opportunity to me- like Alpha making wool lined MA-1s for the Japan market in tiny sizes only.

But it's a start, and maybe in 10 years there will be a much better selection of mid-priced repro jackets available, and that's got to be a good thing; there should be a better choice for people who don't want to spend $1000 on a jacket, because the government certainly didn't to start with!

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nice one Deacon, fantastic review, enjoying reading it with my morning tea. Not enjoying my tea much, it's some shoddy stuff with artificial milk in it...that's what I get for staying in a cheap Motel :)

The G-1 was my first ever proper leather jacket at 18. I found one in an '80's vintage shop, they only had one & it fitted perfectly. That jacket and I did everything together until I began to fill out & it no longer fitted..swapped it out for an N-2B.

I've tried to find a size 48 version of my original ever since, your 100 Mission G-1 looks the 'Dogs'! You've set me thinking & my wallet trembling. I'm going over to Cockpits site in just a mo.

When you get a spare minute, Could I be cheeky & ask what the shoulders are coming in at?

The fit looks really good on you, perfect length IMHO. Sleeve tunnelling appears similar to what I experienced on my old Star Sportwear contract, didn't bother me either with the relatively slim cut sleeves.

Very good score Sir...

Deacon211

One Too Many
Hey Big J, I feel ya. For all its oddities, it is really a nice jacket though. It might be worth a reconsideration.

As I've been searching over the years, I've softened my criteria for a G-1 somewhat. Unless you get an original, even the top repro makers make their design decisions based at least as much on art as science.

For instance, my ELC has stiff leather and scalloped pockets. I've seen pics of an earlier version which seems to have much softer leather. And now they've changed the pockets to a more beveled style.

So which one is "most accurate"? I understand that the jacket is modeled off the LW Foster, though specifically not labeled as a reproduction of that maker. I've seen pics of Fosters with both pocket styles, so you could say both are representative of the era. And of course my Pharr was lamentably different than my Cooper.

So much to the point of my surprise with this jacket, the Cockpit G-1 seems to have everything that makes a G-1, a G-1...just not all at the same point in history. After so much searching, I'm less troubled by that than I used to be.

I still admit though, that some versions of the A-2 and G-1 look better than others. For instance, I particularly hate baggy. The 100 Mission G-1 fits so well that I find I can forgive it some of its historical paradoxes. :)

One question. I'm trying to understand the waist seam thing. My issue Cooper was seamless. The Cockpit is seamless. Obviously other jackets have had the seam. But I've never been able to draw any particular conclusions between the presence of the seam and maker or accuracy...other than older jackets seemed seamed (see what I did there?)

thor

One Too Many
I've heard it rumored that The Cockpit and Cooper as well as Schott all had these "seamless" G-1 jackets manufactured at the same factory in New Jersey and just put different labels in them. Not sure if this "scuttlebutt" is true, but that would seem to explain the lack of seam :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk