Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cockpit 100 Mission G-1

Bushwalker

New in Town
Mike,

FYI, I bought my Cockpit USA Mil-Spec G-1 for just US$344 from Amazon with free international shipping. It was a Christmas deal too good to miss.

Beside ebay, I could find some good deals from Amazon from time to time.

從我的iPhone使用Tapatalk 發送

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Hi Deacon,

Yeah, when I use the word appreciate, what I mean is that when aviators are issued a G-1, there is absolutely no doubt what so ever in their minds that this is 'the real thing'. After all, the Navy or the Marine Corp issued it to them- how can a G-1 be any more 'real' and 'genuine' than that? It can't. Therefore any deep contemplation is unnecessary.

However, when you or I are asked by a repro maker to pay $1000, well then I suddenly have a lot of questions about how it's different from some guy on the internet selling so-called 'authentic, historic, mil-spec, genuine' G-1s.

And that's when you learn that the devil is in the details, and appreciate the small differences.

This is why I love even the 70's cowhide E-series jackets; they really are the real thing, and frankly, that level of cr*ppiness would be prohibitively expensive to duplicate these days.

Deacon211

One Too Many
Deacon221,
I found a "100 mission" G-1 jacket by Cockpit USA on eBay for $588.05. Is that a good price for this "one of a kind" Naval Flight Jacket? Based on your previous posts, if you like a reproduction like this one, then I think it must be one to add to the collection. Would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks for your time and for your wise counsel and advice.
Cheers,
Mike

Hey Mike,

The thing I really appreciate about the 100 Mission is basically that I could wear this jacket and believe that it is a '60s era G-1.

The leather is great goat and broken in in such a way that it doesn't look like somebody sanded it and beat it in that unnatural way that some makers do to "antique" their jackets.

I also like the pattern as far as fit goes. It's a flattering mil fit and not baggy like some of the more modern designs. It's a bit short, but no more so than my Cooper, so accurate enough.

I would still prefer a less teddy bear collar, but that can be addressed. And obviously, blonde collars are not unrealistic in these jackets.

I would definitely recommend one.

I'm not sure if that's a great price or an OK price. I know that the Cockpit has big sales on occasion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Deacon211

One Too Many
Hi Deacon,

Yeah, when I use the word appreciate, what I mean is that when aviators are issued a G-1, there is absolutely no doubt what so ever in their minds that this is 'the real thing'. After all, the Navy or the Marine Corp issued it to them- how can a G-1 be any more 'real' and 'genuine' than that? It can't. Therefore any deep contemplation is unnecessary.

However, when you or I are asked by a repro maker to pay $1000, well then I suddenly have a lot of questions about how it's different from some guy on the internet selling so-called 'authentic, historic, mil-spec, genuine' G-1s.

And that's when you learn that the devil is in the details, and appreciate the small differences.

This is why I love even the 70's cowhide E-series jackets; they really are the real thing, and frankly, that level of cr*ppiness would be prohibitively expensive to duplicate these days.

Absolutely, and those are very pertinent questions if you are throwing down some serious clams for a repro that is "supposed" to be a spot on historic match. We all know that there is more than a little license used in that regard! ;) I totally agree.

Still, for something that is such a touchstone to a naval pilot, I think the kind of knowledge that TTF is bringing back to the ready room, really opens the eyes of many who might look at their G-1s in a different way from now on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

G-1_USN_USMC_USCG

New in Town
The Fit:

Again, everybody will have a different opinion about this. The pics I see of pilots in their current issue jackets look dumpy. The jackets look oversize to me and bigger in the waist and sleeves than the jacket I was issued.

On me, I feel that the 100 Mission G-1 fits remarkably well. The jacket has a nice taper from the shoulders that eliminates that “leather tube with sleeves” feel that I get from the more “modern” cut jackets. The sleeves also taper more like older jackets so you don’t get those big, pirate cuffs. The length is a little shorter than average, much like my Cooper. On the other hand the sleeves are a little longer, more in keeping with the modern style. Arm length comes full to the bottom of my wrist bone. It’s a bit longer than I would normally like. But it does have the virtue that you can reach forward while in a sitting position without pulling the sleeve knits up your arm, which is nice in a cold cockpit…or in a cold car.

Perhaps most importantly, the 100 Mission G-1 fits trimly. In most issue or mil-spec size 46 G-1s, I would find the jacket to be ever so slightly tight and a 48 to be a bit roomy. The Cockpit 100 Mission G-1 size 48 on the other hand fits like a “size 47”; trimmer than a normal 48 but not tight like a normal 46. I’d recommend sizing up at the very least one size.

EDIT: The measurements.

P2P: 26.5in
Waist: 20.5in
Sleeve (on the curve): 24.5in
Shoulder (point to point): 21.5in
Back (collar attachment to top of knit): 23in

Conclusion (Finally, I thought he’d never shut up):

The Cockpit 100 Mission G-1 is a great jacket. If you are looking for a vintage jacket, but are scared off by durability, size, or cooties, this jacket is for you. There are a few things that some people might like or not, depending on your personal preferences. But at its heart, this is an old jacket, writ new.

I apologize for running on. But this jacket deserved a fitting review.

Deacon,
Good evening. I just ordered one of these and the store I got it from has 48s on back order and 50s in stock. I am like you...46s fit but a bit short and tight (trim), while 48s are a bit roomy and comfortable....just a bit longer in the torso. Would you recommend I go with the 50 or wait for the 48 (or as you say, the "roomy" 47)? Thanks for your advice and counsel. Mike

Deacon211

One Too Many
Deacon,
Good evening. I just ordered one of these and the store I got it from has 48s on back order and 50s in stock. I am like you...46s fit but a bit short and tight (trim), while 48s are a bit roomy and comfortable....just a bit longer in the torso. Would you recommend I go with the 50 or wait for the 48 (or as you say, the "roomy" 47)? Thanks for your advice and counsel. Mike

Personally I'd hold out for the 48 if 46s in general are almost right for you....which is the case for me as well. Plus, with the Cockpit wearing on the shorter side, going one size up won't be an issue for you.

Now that's for a nice mil fit (or as mil as I get these days). If you like a little room, you could go with the 50 and get sort of a 49 with the way that the Cockpit fits.

Deacon211

One Too Many
Well, I sent an e-mail to Jacky and no reply after a couple of days. Of course, she's probably off doing something, considering her position.

Unfortunate though, since I was hoping to send this off now that jacket season is over.

Deacon211

One Too Many
Just an update.

I sent my G-1 off to get the collar replaced this summer. I finally had the weather to wear my jacket today and updated the original post with pics of the new collar.

I think it turned out rather well and if you were looking for a more traditional collar on your G-1, it might be worth considering.

Drewdog2323

One of the Regulars
Hi all, not to hijack this thread, but I received this Cockpit Forrestal (without patches) a few days ago, but unfortunately it does not fit like I hoped it would.
I think I may just be too skinny. That said it is a military cut/ trim jacket. Gorgeous goatskin.

Jacket is the same as the 100 Missions G-1, without the mouton collar. And yes, its a special jacket.
Sending it back next week, but if anyone in the UK wants to grab a great jacket for a bargain price... you have a few days.
Brand new in box, with tags, only worn for trying on. In the Classifieds...

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/thre...hout-patches-with-tags-size-40-uk-only.89974/

View attachment 70018
Hey Brettafett - I am thinking about getting the Forrestal and 100 Mission G-1 jackets in the future when Cockpit has another sale. I am guessing my size is 44 based on that is my size in the Top Gun Heroes jacket. Do you recall if the Forrestal and 100 Mission fit exactly the same? Cockpit has the Forrestal listed as regular fit and the 100 Mission as slim fit.

seres

A-List Customer
I can add some help here, @Drewdog2323

At one time, about a year or so ago, I had both jackets, in size 46. Not the 44, but close enough to get a good idea.

The 100 Mission had a P2P of 25.0, a Waist of 23.5, and Shoulders of 20.5. The Sleeves were long, at 27.25 (which includes a normal 3-inch knit) and the back was 26.5.

The Forrestal was larger, with a P2P of 26.5, a Waist of 23.75, and Shoulders of 21.5. The Sleeves were even longer at 28 (which includes a very wide 4-inch knit) and the Back was 25.5.

I would consider neither a “slim” fit, but the Forrestal was almost a size larger in Pit and Sleeve for the SAME TAG SIZE. And that long 4-inch knit on the Forrestal did bother me.

Drewdog2323

One of the Regulars
I can add some help here, @Drewdog2323

At one time, about a year or so ago, I had both jackets, in size 46. Not the 44, but close enough to get a good idea.

The 100 Mission had a P2P of 25.0, a Waist of 23.5, and Shoulders of 20.5. The Sleeves were long, at 27.25 (which includes a normal 3-inch knit) and the back was 26.5.

The Forrestal was larger, with a P2P of 26.5, a Waist of 23.75, and Shoulders of 21.5. The Sleeves were even longer at 28 (which includes a very wide 4-inch knit) and the Back was 25.5.

I would consider neither a “slim” fit, but the Forrestal was almost a size larger in Pit and Sleeve for the SAME TAG SIZE. And that long 4-inch knit on the Forrestal did bother me.
Thanks for the input Seres! It sounds like I should stick with the 44 in the 100 Mission and a 42 in the Forrestal. I wear a 42 in their regular "mil-spec" G-1. But I suppose I can order both sizes and see how they compare when the time comes. Did you enjoy wearing both? I also have an A-2, but am not sure if that means I should forego the Forrestal.

The Top Gun Heroes jacket in a 44 has a P2P of 23.5, Shoulders of 19.5, sleeves of 27.5, back length of 26". You may have pointed this out in another thread, but the Cockpit advertises the 100 Mission as the TG jacket without the patches. But if you look closely at the bottom of the zipper...the leather on the TG jacket at the waist cuff has the traditional horizontal seam whereas the 100 Mission does not. And based on the measurements I took, the fit may not be exactly the same. I usually find the P2P measurements decrease by about an inch for each size down.

seres

A-List Customer
...Did you enjoy wearing both? I also have an A-2, but am not sure if that means I should forego the Forrestal...

Both jackets seem to be cut from the same vintage-treated leather, which is a thicker and rougher feeling leather than the mil-spec jacket. So yes, I did enjoy wearing the 100 Mission jacket. But I did not enjoy wearing the Forrestal.

The G-1 style, with the bi-swing back and the slicker lining, seems to be designed for comfort. My copy of the Forrestal was cut roomier, and had longer arms and very long cuffs. Taken together, I felt the jacket had a sloppy, out-of-proportion feeling on my body that I haven’t noticed on other G-1 jackets, even those in a larger size.

Now it may have been my particular copy of that Forrestal. Jackets are made by humans, and every jacket is probably slightly different.

Drewdog2323

One of the Regulars
Both jackets seem to be cut from the same vintage-treated leather, which is a thicker and rougher feeling leather than the mil-spec jacket. So yes, I did enjoy wearing the 100 Mission jacket. But I did not enjoy wearing the Forrestal.

The G-1 style, with the bi-swing back and the slicker lining, seems to be designed for comfort. My copy of the Forrestal was cut roomier, and had longer arms and very long cuffs. Taken together, I felt the jacket had a sloppy, out-of-proportion feeling on my body that I haven’t noticed on other G-1 jackets, even those in a larger size.

Now it may have been my particular copy of that Forrestal. Jackets are made by humans, and every jacket is probably slightly different.
Good to know. If the Forrestal had the same fit as the 100 Mission would you have kept it? Having a non-fur collar option is appealing.

I just posted the following in another G-1 thread, but building off what you said about every jacket being slightly different...I recently ordered an extra Cockpit Top Gun Heroes jacket so I could try two on in a size 44 to see if there any noticeable manufacturing differences. There were as you may have guessed. Jacky at Cockpit told me prior to ordering that the jacket is made from their vintage-treated goatskin and so that the same jacket in the same size may fit slightly differently due to the treatment of the leather.

The extra jacket had a shorter back length by an inch! Sleeve length was about a half inch shorter. Pit to pit and shoulder seam width was about the same but it felt a bit more fitted in the waist. And to top it off, the collar was noticeably bigger, lighter in color, and softer. But almost too big and made the proportion look off. Being 6'2", I definitely kept the longer and slightly larger jacket with the smaller collar.

I don't know if this is limited to the vintage-treated goatskin models or not. I would think the mil-spec jacket would see much less variation within the same size...

I guess the lesson may be to order two of the same size to try on just to be sure?

Brettafett

One Too Many
My Cockpit 100 Missions and Forrestal were both size 40. I did take down the measurements, but can't find them.. doh! What I can say, is that they were very similar, but the Forrestal did feel a touch roomier, but as I recall lengths were the same.
I was not a massive fan of it either, just didn't feel/ fit right. The 100 mission G-1 on the other hand was a lovely jacket, I would have loved a touch more length though. For me, there was a bit of room in the torso, a lot more than my size 40 AVI G-1. It felt pretty heavy also. A solid jacket.

I did a lot of digging regs the difference between the 100 Missions and the TG Hero, and besides the seem at the base of the windflap, I'm sure the collar, and pattern, are slightly different also. No one at Cockpit has ever been able to give me a definitive answer. It may be because of the vintage-treated goatskin, but they both have that.
I think slight variations are to be expected and getting two of the same size is a good idea, but too expensive for me here in the UK, to do with Cockpit.
I have done this with all my AVI jackets though, and it works wonders to be able to compare sizes and then easily return the one you don't want. (I have found measurements pretty consistent with these jackets)...
The TG Hero always looks like it drapes differently... I wish I could have tried both to compare. One day maybe.
Would be interesting to see your opinion, if/ when you get one Drewdog2323.

p.s. I am also not a fan of the knit or the 'blondie' collar, but as was said before, these are easily changed out and I would do so with some genuine vintage mouton, like Deacon did. Superb!
All in all, Cockpit's jackets are very nice. Well made, quality, generally comfortable... and a good deal if bought in the sales.

Love your jackets btw Drewdog2323!

seres

A-List Customer
Good to know. If the Forrestal had the same fit as the 100 Mission would you have kept it? Having a non-fur collar option is appealing....

Yes, IF the fit was the same, I would have kept the Forrestal. I did like the idea of the leather collar.

Speaking of that Forrestal collar... the neck hole was HUGE. I could zip it up tight and have at least 2 inches on the circumference. A part of that slop may have been due to the larger P2P. But the pattern or cut was so out of proportion. That Forrestal just never fit right.

Drewdog2323

One of the Regulars
My Cockpit 100 Missions and Forrestal were both size 40. I did take down the measurements, but can't find them.. doh! What I can say, is that they were very similar, but the Forrestal did feel a touch roomier, but as I recall lengths were the same.
I was not a massive fan of it either, just didn't feel/ fit right. The 100 mission G-1 on the other hand was a lovely jacket, I would have loved a touch more length though. For me, there was a bit of room in the torso, a lot more than my size 40 AVI G-1. It felt pretty heavy also. A solid jacket.

I did a lot of digging regs the difference between the 100 Missions and the TG Hero, and besides the seem at the base of the windflap, I'm sure the collar, and pattern, are slightly different also. No one at Cockpit has ever been able to give me a definitive answer. It may be because of the vintage-treated goatskin, but they both have that.
I think slight variations are to be expected and getting two of the same size is a good idea, but too expensive for me here in the UK, to do with Cockpit.
I have done this with all my AVI jackets though, and it works wonders to be able to compare sizes and then easily return the one you don't want. (I have found measurements pretty consistent with these jackets)...
The TG Hero always looks like it drapes differently... I wish I could have tried both to compare. One day maybe.
Would be interesting to see your opinion, if/ when you get one Drewdog2323.

p.s. I am also not a fan of the knit or the 'blondie' collar, but as was said before, these are easily changed out and I would do so with some genuine vintage mouton, like Deacon did. Superb!
All in all, Cockpit's jackets are very nice. Well made, quality, generally comfortable... and a good deal if bought in the sales.

Love your jackets btw Drewdog2323!
Thanks @Brettafett ! I have built up a nice collection of G-1s and A-2s lately. Most of them are Cockpit jackets I got on eBay with the exception of the TG Hero. I honestly think their strength is in the G-1. Their patterns are great for people with longer arms and regular to shorter torsos. I also think the goatskin they use on their G-1s is very very nice. Their A-2s are not really anything to write home about - bit too baggy and the leather is not as supple. Hopefully they will continue to offer more of their models in a Long size for some of those having issues with jacket length.

I really like @Deacon211 ’s switching out of the blonde collar. However, since I already have the mil-spec jacket with the dark collar, it will be nice to have a jacket with the blonde one. I think the blonde is unique and particularly looks cool with a pair of denim with light brown boots. I will get the 100 Mission next sale...hopefully in the fall time. In the meantime, I will enjoy my TG Hero :)

I am really pleased that you and others on here share the same passion for these flight jackets. It is always helpful to receive informed opinions from other enthusiasts!

Drewdog2323

One of the Regulars
Interestingly I found the Cockpit 100 Mission jacket on the Smithsonian's National Air and Space Museum website: https://airandspace.si.edu/collection-objects/flight-jacket

It is listed under the "MEMORABILIA-Popular Culture" item type. I'm thinking it was used in a movie. Definitely can't be a "historical" item in the sense. Still looks good. Would the Flying Tigers patch even be accurate on a G-1?

Deacon211

One Too Many
That’s really interesting.

Notice that the jacket is actually attributed to Paramount Pictures, though I can’t think of what movie it would have come from. Notice also that the label says The Cockpit, which I think would date it somewhat. Didn’t all the older Cockpit Jackets have “Avirex” labels? It also looks like the label says it’s an M-422a not a G-1 although it’s certainly the Cockpit definition of an M-422a. Lastly, it seems to have the one piece zipper placket that is common to most Cockpit designs, but has the deep diagonal cuts to the pocket corners that I’d say was especially common to the “mil-spec” G-1 but not the 100 Mission.

Love to know the story behind this one.

Oh, I seem to recall the AVG buying primarily M-422as for their pilots, though many USAAC pilots brought their own jackets with them. Not sure what era that patch is from though. If it was later, I guess the A-2 would be more appropriate.

Drewdog2323

One of the Regulars
I think Cockpit used to put "The" in front of "Cockpit" on their earlier jackets from when they switched from Avirex to The Cockpit. Of course I am speculating a bit, but all the Cockpit jackets since I started buying them in the past 2 years all just say "Cockpit" on the label.

I might write them an e-mail eventually to get the history behind this as I am equally curious.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112