Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Coffee, grind your own?

Flicka

One Too Many
What's the problem as long as you don't use one of those electric atrocities?

It still makes a little noise. Like a rumbling, chewing sound. Possibly my neighbours wouldn't notice, but I'm a bit paranoid after having experienced someone who would come ringing the door furiously over the noise when I poured water from the kettle into the coffee pot...

Flicka

One Too Many
Flicka, nice score on that grinder! It is a beauty.

Thank you! I have a friend who can go on for hours about how great kitchen stuff Peugeot makes - her mother's pepper grinder is over 40 years and working like a charm. I hope their coffee grinders are as good. :)

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
It still makes a little noise. Like a rumbling, chewing sound. Possibly my neighbours wouldn't notice, but I'm a bit paranoid after having experienced someone who would come ringing the door furiously over the noise when I poured water from the kettle into the coffee pot...

Huh? You should've just laughed at him for being such an ass.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Our Cuisinart burr grinder is our favourite wedding gift! We buy roasted beans from our favourite local coffee house, grind as required for a pot or two, and mmmmmmmmmm!

tealseal

A-List Customer
Once I found out that it was cheaper to buy gourmet beans than Starbuck's every morning, I've never even considered going back. Canned coffee is, IMHO, not worth the marginal price savings, but then again I only make coffee for one or two people, not a family-sized (or bigger) group. Using a manual burr grinder, I set to work (in traditional engineering style), grinding a few beans at various settings to get the ideal average grind size for the french press. It's absolutely amazing how much better coffee tastes french pressed, but also more amazing how much the taste changes depending on the size of the grounds! You just can't use the same size grind for filtered coffee makers and french presses (probably common knowledge, but I just HAD to try it and see :p )

anon`

One Too Many
Is there any other way to make coffee?

My mum bought be a Capresso all-in-one for my birthday. Love it, to the extent that coffee is becoming an afternoon ritual as well as morning! Someday I'll invest in a full-size French press for really lazy mornings; as it stands I only have a small, one-cup press at the moment.

panama red

New in Town
not trying to be snooty or anything, but, I love my coffee, so I buy green beans and roast them on a gene cafe home roaster. My grinder is a ceramic burr baratza vario. I use a quick mill silvano espresso machine with a pid and pressure gauge. when in a hurry I brew in a techni vorm drip brewer, or, a bodum press. When time is not a concern I use my 1 cup and hario pour kettle( take your time with the pour and mmmmm ). When I have special company and
want to really go old school, I bring out my size D cona vacuum brewer and watch the magic for the smoothest cup on earth. steamed milk and Demerara
or a touch of Muscovado sugar if company desires.
yes, I do drink it straight (black) also.

Last edited:

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
not trying to be snooty or anything, but, I love my coffee, so I buy green beans and roast them on a gene cafe home roaster. My grinder is a ceramic burr baratza vario. I use a quick mill silvano espresso machine with a pid and pressure gauge. when in a hurry I brew in a techni vorm drip brewer, or, a bodum press. When time is not a concern I use my 1 cup and hario pour kettle( take your time with the pour and mmmmm ). When I have special company and
want to really go old school, I bring out my size D cona vacuum brewer and watch the magic for the smoothest cup on earth. steamed milk and Demerara
or a touch of Muscovado sugar if company desires.
yes, I do drink it straight (black) also.

Gosh, now I REALLY want some coffee! I've never roasted my own beans, but have had coffee from just roasted beans. Yum!

X
BD

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
I had a rather cheaply made French Press and the top broke the other day. :( I'm still using it broken, but it's proving to be rather difficult! Guess I need to go shopping for a new one! ;0
X
BD

Otter

One Too Many
I grind fresh every morning, little electric Braun burr grinder, but have never plucked up the courage to roast my own. When I worked offshore I always took my own filter cone, filters and ground coffee with me to use in my unit as I just do not like instant coffee.

cooncatbob

Practically Family
I go by the coffee rule of 15.
Ground coffee is good for 15 minutes.
Roasted coffee bean are good for 15 days.
Green coffee beans are good for 15 months.
I roast 5 ounces of beans about twice and get 4 ounces of roasted beans.

panama red

New in Town
Sounds right to me. I usually go for a city or city plus on single origin, but, sometimes full city. My espresso is usually full city or full city plus, on occasion Vienna. on some S.O.'s I'll use city plus for espresso, but, I usually use a blend from sweet maria's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko