Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cold/Cough Remedies?

Caroline

One of the Regulars
Vicks, Theraflu, and maybe a drink works for me...

When I was a kid, we were a Vicks Vapo-Rub family. Mom would slather that stuff on our chest and neck, then sit us in the bathroom while a hot shower ran. My brothers still hate it but I think it works. And, having all that goo on you kind of forces you to slow it down.

Avalon

A-List Customer
I second dhermann1 on the slippery elm lozenges. I recently had a doozy of a throat infection and they really helped!

Thyme is a super antibacterial / antiviral herb - thymol is a main ingredient in Listerine, among other germ-killing products. Make it into a tea and drink a cup a couple of times a day, sweetened with a bit of honey. ;)

Flivver

Practically Family
My Mom was a great fan of Vick's Vapo-Rub. When I was a kid and had a cold, she would slather the stuff on my chest and neck, then she would make me wear a wool scarf...even in the house. I can still remember that powerful Vick's smell.

But she had another remedy for a cough and soar throat that really does work...a tablespoon-full of honey. And it tastes good too!

Hugh Beaumont

One of the Regulars
I have the perfect thing, for adults that is...

Go to you local liquor story and get bottle of Barenjager. It's a very tasty Honey Liquor from Germany.

It's made from real Honey, so there is some real theraputic value to it. Of course it's probably not much different that the Honey and Whiskey recipe already mentioned, but it does come in a cool bottle and tin :)

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
Though a lot of the older [Western] remedies seem to help me curb the symptoms, nothing at all helps me shorten the cold and help me get over it better than Yin Qiao. Considering that it's 150 years old, I'd call it a vintage remedy.

I did a research report on it recently, and it really does do the job. It relieves the symptoms for your comfort, while helping your immune system fight back.

NOTE: When buying it, be very wary of where you're getting it from!! It is a Chinese remedy; however, there is at least one line that is a "replacement" Yin Qiao formula, so you don't have to buy the Chinese products to enjoy the benefits of the patent formula.

Pine Mountain (manufactured in the US) is a great option!
http://www.itmonline.org/yinqiao.htm

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
+1 for the Neti Pot. Just rinses the gunk out of your face. Instant relief.
But I've had this stupid cough hanging on since before Christmas. Just this ridiculous tickle all the time. I guess it's part and parcel of the strain going around.

kaiser

A-List Customer
Me too, came down with something around the middle of December and still have it in one way or another now. I suspect it will not go away until the weather warms up.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The net pot is wonderful. I use the spray bottle type (given as a gift). When I was pregnant, there's like nothing for a cold you can take, and at one point in both pregnancies it was the only thing that let me sleep.

I also use Traditional Medicinal teas (note: not while pregnant). If I get the Lemon Throat Coat soon enough when a sore throat is starting, I swear it helps with duration.

I developed pneumonia this past fall. (I honestly thought I was going to suffocate.) So now I have a nebulizer.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
The cold I thought was going away is now worse, so I may need to get the fixins for a hot toddy.

That is, whisky to go along with the lemon and honey and water we already have...

PeterGunnLives

One of the Regulars
When I'm under the weather, in the eveningtime I like to make a toddy with a base of strong tea (using two teabags) with fresh lemon juice and honey, and bourbon.
In the daytime, gulping down some Coca-cola (the kind with real cane sugar) somehow makes me feel better.
And some Tiger Balm from Singapore on the neck and chest. I think the camphor oil is the same active ingredient as Vicks, but I could be remembering wrong.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
When I'm under the weather, in the eveningtime I like to make a toddy with a base of strong tea (using two teabags) with fresh lemon juice and honey, and bourbon.
In the daytime, gulping down some Coca-cola (the kind with real cane sugar) somehow makes me feel better.
And some Tiger Balm from Singapore on the neck and chest. I think the camphor oil is the same active ingredient as Vicks, but I could be remembering wrong.

I have a horrific chest cold right now, and haven't slept in two days. When I got up this morning after tossing and turning helplessly, I had an overpowering craving for a Coke. Fortunately, I always keep it on hand, and nothing ever felt better than that Coke did at 7:30 this morning. I've never had that kind of craving with a cold before, but in this case it did help.

kaiser

A-List Customer
I have a horrific chest cold right now, and haven't slept in two days. When I got up this morning after tossing and turning helplessly, I had an overpowering craving for a Coke. Fortunately, I always keep it on hand, and nothing ever felt better than that Coke did at 7:30 this morning. I've never had that kind of craving with a cold before, but in this case it did help.

Lizzie, me to. When I came down with this bug back in December I craved, and drank Coke too. Strange.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana