Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Collar pins, Yes or No?

SGTROCK

One of the Regulars
Thoughts? Opinions?
pin3.jpg
pin collar.jpeg

HanauMan

Practically Family
Not for me. Though I do occasionally wear a suit and tie affair I like my collar loose, hence usually undone top button and loose knot on the tie. I would feel too constricted wearing a collar pin. Don't wear a tie clip or tie pin either. Looks way too stuffy for me, like you're trying too hard to impress. Think Hercule Poirot!

I love collar pins aesthetically and from a practical perspective as they give the collar-tie-knot area a neat appearance and "pop" the tie knot a bit. Many collars get beat up over time from washing and can become less than straight; with a collar pin, most of those imperfections disappear when the collar is "tightened" up with the pin.

I haven't had much success with the collar "bar" as it usually holds in place by sliding the collar inside its two clips which, many times, can come undone during the day and, even at its best, can't tighten the collar-knot area up as well as a pin can. This is why I like tab collars as well.

Edward

Bartender
I love them. The challenge these days is finding pins narrow enough - a 2" pin is just too big to work right, imo.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I love them. The challenge these days is finding pins narrow enough - a 2" pin is just too big to work right, imo.
Me too, but my challenge is my eyesight. Try getting a collar bar straight, I always have to ask my missus to help. I usually wait until she says: "Can you zip me up?" To which I reply, "only if you do my collar bar."
I would add that collar bars look much smarter and are easier to fix on a spearpoint collar than they are on any other style.

Me too, but my challenge is my eyesight. Try getting a collar bar straight, I always have to ask my missus to help. I usually wait until she says: "Can you zip me up?" To which I reply, "only if you do my collar bar."
I would add that collar bars look much smarter and are easier to fix on a spearpoint collar than they are on any other style.

Nice story with the missus - it's all in the how.

Like you, I like collar pins with spearspoint collars - in part, because I think spearpoints can look sloppy if they aren't well pressed, but IMHO, a collar pin finds its soulmate every time it hooks up with a club (or rounded) collar.

Edward

Bartender

I also like a bar or pin on a club collar. Best, though, is where there are the holes in the collar for a bar - a pin still looks great, but it's so much easier to keep neat.

Edward

Bartender
And while we're at it, does anyone know of a decent source of these at around 40mm long? I got a couple some years ago, but these days the only ones I can find are all 2" plus, too big to pull the collar in any, and they look ridiculous unless you're inclined to wear a tie knot the size of your own head.

I also like a bar or pin on a club collar. Best, though, is where there are the holes in the collar for a bar - a pin still looks great, but it's so much easier to keep neat.

We think alike as that is my absolute favorite.

And while we're at it, does anyone know of a decent source of these at around 40mm long? I got a couple some years ago, but these days the only ones I can find are all 2" plus, too big to pull the collar in any, and they look ridiculous unless you're inclined to wear a tie knot the size of your own head.

I have had good luck on eBay as I've found some 1.5" ones there. Search "men's collar pins." Good luck.

Shanghailander

One of the Regulars
I wear one every day.

As a youngster, I used to see shirts in the store windows with great looking collars, then wondered why they didn't stay up that way after I bought them - the reason was the merchants "posed" the shirt to keep the collar up and sharp.

Now, I get that look with a collar pin.

I mostly wear club collars, but I think they look good with any collar but the band or Mandarin collar!

Edward

Bartender
I have had good luck on eBay as I've found some 1.5" ones there. Search "men's collar pins." Good luck.

I'll give that a go - maybe I should be trying .com instead of .co.uk. Surprisingly, Etsy seems to have been a bust so far, tghough it is possible I'm using the wrong terms there, as Etsy's categorisation and search facility isn't as well developed as ebay's, imo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112