Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

College ring

I just looked at my (admittedly modern) ring. The inscription on the inside of the ring and the maker's mark on the inside of the ring are oriented in one direction while the engraving on the outside of the ring and the ring's crest are oriented in the opposite direction. If the same rule applies to your ring then the former owner’s initials are "?.V.W."

But I still think "M.A.P." is correct.

AF

Hmmm...I don't know. It's hard to see, but the more I look at it, and compare to modern script engraving fonts at least, it sure looks like "W" to me. I'm thinking the "upside down" version may be correct, and the initials appear to be "RVW". But it's so hard to tell.

dlvh

New in Town
Here is another case of those script letters being very hard to read, and it's also from Etsy, where your girlfriend purchased yours Alvise:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/180546...to=US&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery

il_570xN.568749629_4oss.jpg

Now Alvis, if we can get you to post a picture like this, showing the script lettering, we might be able to tell you for certain, what letters are actually in that ring of yours.

dlvh

Last edited:

Al Vise

New in Town
Gentlemen, this is the best picture I was able to do (with the precious help of my lovely and patient girlfriend)!
The initials are on the MAP side (I don't want to influence you). Fell free to elaborate the pictures as many times as you want.

20140425_143023.jpg

....by the way, the saddle shoes you barely see in the background are mine! :)

Nice picture Alvise,

I still cannot say for certain what that last letter is though.

However, I did find this Script Writing for that era. It looks very similar to what it is written on your ring...I did try to post a picture, instead of a link, but for some reason, it wouldn't work for me:

http://luc.devroye.org/BenediktGrondal-Copperplate.gif

Nice shoes though!

dlvh

Interestingly, there is no "W" in the example script.

Al Vise

New in Town
Nice picture Alvise,

I still cannot say for certain what that last letter is though.

However, I did find this Script Writing for that era. It looks very similar to what it is written on your ring...I did try to post a picture, instead of a link, but for some reason, it wouldn't work for me:

http://luc.devroye.org/BenediktGrondal-Copperplate.gif

Nice shoes though!

dlvh

I took a look carefully to the font you've linked.
If we consider the M.A.P. theory, the P is definitely not a P, but rather a G or a L or a S. That's because in the P there's a "curl" that goes down while in my ring the "curl" goes upward.
So as JudyBKM (where are you? We need you again!) said, it could be from Margaret Ann GALLIVAN O'Brien. Unfortunately she's decesead.

But if we consider the ?.V.W. theory, the upside down P could be a B or a R. So it's gonna be B.V.W. or R.V.W.
So, I'm gonna ask again to JudyBKM: what's Ruth WELSH 2nd name?

Last edited:

JudyBKM

New in Town
Unfortunately, I don't have any other information regarding Ruth WELSH. But I just sent an email to the members of that class for whom I have an email address. I'll let you know if I learn anything. Currently I have two spellings of her name, "Welsh" and "Welch." I've also asked her classmates which spelling is correct.

Judy

JudyBKM

New in Town
Let me add this: There was a Ruth WELCH, born in 1927 or 1928, who lived in Albany, NY (the location of the Milne School), according to the 1940 census. Her middle name was "Ann." There's a Ruth Ann "Welsh" listed in the 1930 census, but the two Ruths appear to be the same person based upon her mother's name, etc. Of course, I can't be sure that this is the Ruth Welch/Welsh who attended Milne. I didn't find a Ruth V. though. The 1927 or 1928 birth date would be appropriate for a 1945 high school graduation.

dlvh

New in Town
Alright: No big news here, but I think I have solved if this ring is to be read "upside down" or "right side up"

After doing some extensive research on Dieges & Clust rings and other items that they produced of that era, I can say with the utmost certainty that it should be read "Right Side Up"..or in this case M.A.? The reason why, is because in that era, whomever their engraver(s) were/was, would almost always put a Period or Dot (.) between each persons initials at the bottom, using this type of Script, or Calligraphy. Whereas, if this ring was to be read "Upside Down" The Period or Dot would be on the top of each persons initials, and thus this would be incorrect.

Your ring Alvise, if you look at it VERY CLOSELY has a Period or Dot between each letter at the bottom...One after the "M", one after the "A" and possibly, but maybe not, after the last letter...whatever that is, but I cannot say for certain.

Anyway...on with the search for that last letter.

dlvh

Al Vise

New in Town
Alright: No big news here, but I think I have solved if this ring is to be read "upside down" or "right side up"

After doing some extensive research on Dieges & Clust rings and other items that they produced of that era, I can say with the utmost certainty that it should be read "Right Side Up"..or in this case M.A.? The reason why, is because in that era, whomever their engraver(s) were/was, would almost always put a Period or Dot (.) between each persons initials at the bottom, using this type of Script, or Calligraphy. Whereas, if this ring was to be read "Upside Down" The Period or Dot would be on the top of each persons initials, and thus this would be incorrect.

Your ring Alvise, if you look at it VERY CLOSELY has a Period or Dot between each letter at the bottom...One after the "M", one after the "A" and possibly, but maybe not, after the last letter...whatever that is, but I cannot say for certain.

Anyway...on with the search for that last letter.

dlvh

According to the font you've linked before, it could be a G (because of the "curl" of the letter). So it could be M.A.G., from Margaret Ann GALLIVAN O'Brien. Unfortunately she's decesead. I wonder if she has heirs.

JudyBKM

New in Town
My reply is based upon earlier messages: Ruthanne Welsh (but perhaps "Ruth" and "Anne" were separate names). If you're back to M.A.G. -- you can ignore this message. ;) I have no idea whether Margaret Ann GALLIVAN O'Brien has any heirs. If I learn more, I'll let you know.

Al Vise

New in Town
I dust off this thread.

Look what I've found looking for Miss Margaret Ann GALLIVAN O'Brien from Albany:

http://fultonhistory.com/Newspaper%2018/Troy%20NY%20Times%20Record/Troy%20NY%20Times%20Record%201950/Troy%20NY%20Times%20Record%201950%20-%200455.pdf

Look the bottom of the second column:

"Miss Gallivan To
Wed Former R.P.I. Student

Mr. and Mrs. Peter C. Gallivan
of Albany announce the engagement
of their daughter, Miss Margaret
Anna Gallivan, to Richard J.
O'Brien jr., a former student at
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute,
and son of Mr. and Mrs. R. J.
O'Brien of Albany.
Miss Gallivan is a graduate of
Milne High School and attended
the College of St. Elizabeth, Convent
Station, N. J. She is a senior
at tha College of St. Rose. Her
fiance is a member of the senior
class at Siena College. "

And this could be her husband Richard:

http://obits.dignitymemorial.com/dignity-memorial/obituary.aspx?n=Richard+%22Dick%22-O%27Brien&lc=4044&pid=142076221&mid=4227863

You can read "He was preceded in death by his loving wife, Peg O'Brien". One of the Margaret diminutive forms is Peg.

Last edited:

kyboots

Practically Family
I have read this entire thread today and it has been fascinating! This is a wonderful read. I have enjoyed the story of the "gift ring" which has been very interesting. It is a beautiful ring but to find the story of the owner and your research has been very enjoyable. How and why did this ring make it where it is today?
I personallly, like most of you never wore my high school ring but it sits in a box at home. Will someone wonder about it's owner 50 years from now or care ? This ring is more interesting than mine and I can see why someone would purchase it. Are there folks out there who collect school and class rings? Is this an undiscovered area to start?
You guys have done a great job and this thread has been fascinating! Thanks for the entertainment.

53Effie

A-List Customer
I agree. This has been really interesting to follow this thread. Lots of good detective work and I always enjoy that sort of thing.

dlvh

New in Town
So glad that you were able to figure this out Al Vise!

This has been a wonderful thread, and I'm glad that the original owner was found. It's too bad that she has passed away, because it would have been an interesting story to read how your girlfriend was able to purchase it and present it to you, but perhaps the ring was sold after the original owners death in an estate sale, or something similar. Either way, wear it in good health.

Blessings to you all!

dlvh

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ